• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLUGGISH XP SYSTEM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tithulta

AM2 2.4 ghz tricore cpu
4gb ddr2 800

Excessive HDD activity, but task manager shows nothing hogging resources unless you call system idle process a hog :/

What's weird is if im running F@H it's more responsive but still very slow. Any ideas? I did switch out some data cables(ide HDD) cuz i needed some longer ones for my daughters build, which....oh wait i ended up buying a sata drive in just left them sitting there...update switching the cables back in a little bit. Think that might fix it or should it be an early sign of HDD failure?:(

Check your HDD for how much free space is left and compare it with what you've got set up for page filing. A full HDD can slow down the system. Also, check your startup menu, make sure you don't have a lot of bloatware hogging resources; reset whatever you can to not start up when you power up the system.

Well deactivated everything except the antivirus(microsoft securty ess)
still pretty sluggish, although HDD activity isn't constant, but fairly active, but that probably is because i ran F@H just so that the system would run well enough to not fall asleep waiting

Could be just the fact once you have newer equipment that old stuff is sluggish!...Other then that how fresh is your XP OS install?

Use MSCONFIG to disable any programs that do not need to be running on startup. You can look up each process online if you have any doubts.

Then go to "services" tab and click "hide all Microsoft services"
Again look these up online and uncheck the items not needed upon startup.
If you have a scanner or printer attached via USB, sometimes to you want to keep that process or service started so all printing/scanning features work properly.

Check the startup folder from the start menu as well for anything else... uninstall all software you wont need/no longer use from the control panel.

I would stop using F@H until we can figure out why its sluggish. Running it now is only going to make it more difficult to pinpoint the real problem.

You say you switched out the IDE cable. Maybe you installed an ATA/33 cable? See below for differences:

u1828.jpg

Could be just the fact once you have newer equipment that old stuff is sluggish!...Other then that how fresh is your XP OS install?

no i was using a dual CPU p3 1ghz with 728mb SDR (for getting ready for benching not real use....)
and it was not Bad
run a AV scan
also check for extra programs running your HDD could be overloaded with stuff running :shrug:
but what i do when i free like its running bad
reinstall the OS works everything :thup:

Back