• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So disappointed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Metro 2033 will crush your system... :shrug:

eh. I played the demo without issue on my current rig at 1920x1080...

reminded me of half life kinda..

I agree though I build systems FOR game...this rig was built to run crysis, which it does admirably.

BF3 is my next target, but those games are FAR apart timewise.

I may just drop a gtx580 in this and be done with it.

A core 2 duo at 4.5 ghz is probably still plenty cpu wise.

I would rather just have a good game than one that stresses my system. Granted there are some good games out there, but not many like in years past, and yes I think consoles did impact that, especially the last few years.

I agree. Focus on game play, mechanics and story. Graphics should not be all or nothing. Our greedy human nature makes us graphics junkies. If it was ALL about good graphics, we would not go back and play older classics. The overall experience needs to be top notch, not just the graphics.

Lol, I recently, less than 2 days ago. Got my new video card. ATi 5670. I can play Bad Company 2 @ 1600x1200 with 40-60 FPS (DX9). Even GTA IV with everything on max at same res does 25-30FPS. The quad core sure made a difference on those two. That just means I can run any game with more than decent framerates with my $400 gaming rig, and that's less than the current cost of a 580 GTX.

I lol at current games. Not hardware challenging at all. I miss the good old days when you needed $300-400 vcards to run anything at that res.

I don't miss them days at all. With two kids,wife,house payment bad econ lol. No thx I welcome the new days of buying a 100 to 200 dollar video card and it's like magic. Nice graphics on most games.

I personally hope we never go back to those days. I don't think we will seeing the trend that seems to be happening these days. Tons of indie developed games, f2p games, etc all seem to be heading towards low system requirements so they can scoop up as much of the crowd as they can. Which i like cause then i can run the games at full blast or close to.

I will say it would be nice to see them throw in the extra work here and there tho so people with them insane machines can get their money's worth out of there hardware. But i guess you can't have your cake and eat it too heh.

I don't miss them days at all. With two kids,wife,house payment bad econ lol. No thx I welcome the new days of buying a 100 to 200 dollar video card and it's like magic. Nice graphics on most games.

I personally hope we never go back to those days. I don't think we will seeing the trend that seems to be happening these days. Tons of indie developed games, f2p games, etc all seem to be heading towards low system requirements so they can scoop up as much of the crowd as they can. Which i like cause then i can run the games at full blast or close to.

I will say it would be nice to see them throw in the extra work here and there tho so people with them insane machines can get their money's worth out of there hardware. But i guess you can't have your cake and eat it too heh.
Oh yeah, that's probably the connotation of my post. Cost aside, what I meant is that you can run any game if you have a quad core and a mainstream video card made in the last 4 years, it's not like before that you needed to upgrade constantly because games were graphical intense and shortly after another one even more graphical intense came out. Now it seems everything just stalled. The inflexion point was 8800GT and Crysis.

hopefully BF3 changes all this, Ive read this morning that its supposed to be a PC built title, with the consoles getting the port (about bloody time)

Fingers crossed this means that it will push current hardware on medium-high, and bring any hardware to its knees on ultra settings. Finally something to make me upgrade my system.....

hopefully BF3 changes all this, Ive read this morning that its supposed to be a PC built title, with the consoles getting the port (about bloody time)

Fingers crossed this means that it will push current hardware on medium-high, and bring any hardware to its knees on ultra settings. Finally something to make me upgrade my system.....

I'm hoping this is the case, but I doubt it. I'm betting it will be around Crysis level graphics at most, more than likely it will be like far cry.

Btw nice name, I've been using Madcat or a variation of it for almost 20 years.

I'm hoping this is the case, but I doubt it. I'm betting it will be around Crysis level graphics at most, more than likely it will be like far cry.

Btw nice name, I've been using Madcat or a variation of it for almost 20 years.

true, but 64 player maps...... maybe I need to get BF2 out tonight, none of this 4v4 BOps BS.

Hahaha, good old Mechwarrior

BF3 does sound like it would be very demanding, especially on the CPU. With an even more advanced destruction engine than BFBC2, and twice the player cap online... unless they made some really really really insane out of this world optimizations to run all of that much more efficiently.

BF3 does sound like it would be very demanding, especially on the CPU. With an even more advanced destruction engine than BFBC2, and twice the player cap online... unless they made some really really really insane out of this world optimizations to run all of that much more efficiently.

true, but thats the issue. Sure you might need a 980x & SLI GTX580s to make it playable at ultra high settings, but if you have a mediocre or older machine, thats what the low to high settings are designed for.

At the moment my rig is about 3-4 years old, and I can still play new releases on high settings. I SHOULD be only able to play it on medium at best, if games were pushing current hardware limits

I know I will most likely be upgrading for BF3. Nothing has really asked all the much of my system these days. 60% of the games I have played in the last 2yrs are usually console ports. The rest are low-demand games (ie WoW, Starcraft 2, Civ 4, etc.)

It definitely makes me sad. I remember my first real system, s754 2800+ stoked to 2.3ghz, and a 6800ultra oced to hell. And I still could barely run some things. Now, I just dink around and blow money on HDDs and other junk.

Starcraft 2 is a low demand game? Thought it was a huge hit on the GPU to get the high res and best of the best settings turned on?

. I was referring to this sentence:

" Many games are designed around the technology that is available at the time the development starts, but by the time the game releases the technology has gotten better."

disagree till the cows come homw this is exactly what happens

wether it is the reason for the complaints in this thread or not could be arguable though

Last edited:
Starcraft 2 is a low demand game? Thought it was a huge hit on the GPU to get the high res and best of the best settings turned on?

Not really. And that is on the highest settings. Even so. I wouldn't consider it a high demand game since my old school 2.8ghz P4 and x1900gt can run it just fine on medium+.

Oh, no no. By high demand he and I understood "High market demand" not "High PC Performance demanding".

Sorry for double post but it seems DICE is putting special attention in BF3, so we'll see how that goes. People say it will be ported to consoles :eek:

well, it's coming out may 3, did you intended to post here or the duke nukem thread?

Back