• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So how can i get this 40" to work with my computer and look good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

technoViking

Hi guys!

Well I recently bought a Samsung LCD HDTV 40" 1080p tv I use to play with my xbox but I want to also test it out on my computer.

My computer has 2 DVI ports (from the 8800gt 512).

My monitor has 3 HDMI ports avaiable and 1 VGA port, but I heard if I just connect a VGA from my computer to the HDTV it will look not so good is this true?

If I get a DMI to HDMI converter, do I need to perchase another DVI cord, and then just run at the end it hooks up to a HDMI adapter?

Thanks

PS: Is there a way to check the resolution on the monitor? It says its 1920 x 1080 but can I see that anywhere?

Last edited:
they make dvi to hdmi cables. that's all you'll need.

for checking the resolution, read the manual. it should list the supported resolutions and refresh rates.

they make dvi to hdmi cables. that's all you'll need.

for checking the resolution, read the manual. it should list the supported resolutions and refresh rates.
www.monoprice.com is a very good place to find said cable for cheap :)

The HDMI cable I ordered is so good quality it is a pain to bend. It is almost *too* sturdy! :D

Once you hook it up to your PC, you'll be able to see all the resolutions it can do (comp will just see it like any other monitor). I just played around with mine until I got the best looking resolution. I believe that 1080P tv should be able to do 1920x1200.

+1 to monoprice and DVI -> HDMI

Once you hook it up to your PC, you'll be able to see all the resolutions it can do (comp will just see it like any other monitor). I just played around with mine until I got the best looking resolution. I believe that 1080P tv should be able to do 1920x1200.
1080p means it is 1080 tall...

ya hdtv's have resolution of a 16:9 format.... widscreen pc monitors are 16:10

1080p is 1920x1080 @60hz.

Like stated the best and simplest way is to go to mono price and grab a dvi to hdmi cable for cheap... i love monoprice, GREAT products fast shipping great prices!

Well, I said something because shiggity said 1920x1200 which is bigger than 1080 ;)

i know. i forgot that on this forum it doesnt quote what the last person quoted too

on some other forums i frequent, when you quote someone that quoted someone else, it all shows up

Thanks guys, I actually ended up buying a 30 foot DVI to HDMI cable for 29.99 but + shipping it was around 44 bucks, still not bad i don't think..

Back