• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SoCal. Gorgeous weather. Hot CPUs.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pete Church

The two just don't seem to get along. Cost of the sunshine state?

This is the first warm season i've dealt with caring if my computer gets hot. Given that my ignorance burnt up my previous CPU (I over-volted), I want to make sure i don't make another mess by overheating!

So I've done a bit more reading to make sure I'm not messing up again:bang head. From what i can see, other people that run i7 980x feel that it is quite safe to run it as long as you stay away from the recommended max 72.9C (absolute max being 100C). I'm not anywhere near that yet, but this is the first time we've had 80+F weather and I saw the core temp jump to 57C. Do you all agree that I'll be safe if I stay short of the 72.9C barrier? I'll just keep an eye out for when the ambient gets into the 90s to see how the CPU behaves.

That's a great idea on both. I will set the bios alarm, my water cooling rig also has similar alarms that can shutdown the pc. I guess I should make sure they're set to safe values. I do notice my computer room is much hotter than the rest when i get back from work, so i bet it will help to circulate the air a bit more.

Hmm. I was under the impression (new to i7s!) that Intel CPUs had the thermal throttling on by default? The ambient at the moment in 10.9C, and under full load @3.6 I'm sitting at 60-62C on all cores. I'd shudder to think how hot it's going to get in summer!

When I was running stock, it would happily get to 80C+ after a few minutes, and from what I've been told around here, 70C 24/7 is pretty much what the DC guys sit at "comfortably". It's 80C that they start to worry, and 90C is "Yeah.. turn it off."

I guess the old adage of "If it aint on fire, it can go higher!" doesn't really ring true for i7s! :p

Well I'd rather have it a little chilly then what my friends are going through. They had snow/ice last week and this weeks its warm for them. I can do with a little chill, I hate living in snow/ice.

A/C working overtime here in sunny South Carolina, 3 days in a row over 90F....
It's really fun trying to keep the house cool with 9 computers crunching away 24/7...

Back