• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket 1150 bent Pins?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

Hi All,
I got my Gigabyte Ga-Z87x-Oc today and might have made a dumb *** mistake.

First off...are there pins in the socket or are they woven and flat?
The problem:
I took off the socket protection thingy while trying to judge whether my cooler master evo 212 would fit in the new InWin Dragon case (it does not sadly), while replacing the plastic thingy...I tried putting it under the latch instead of on top (forgot how it fit)...I finally figured out it was supposed to snap on top of the socket but at that point I noticed the pins or weaving underneath. The area on the bottom right look like they might be bent a tad. Does anyone have any experience w/ socket 1150 and how pins look? Are they spaced slightly differently in the bottom right? I took some photos to get a better look but it does not show in the photos. I am not sure if I am being paranoid, the lighting is playing trick on my eyes or could I have really bent a pin or two..and if so..how do I fix it.

Excuse my dumbassery...its been a few years since I installed a CPU and first time w/ Socket 1150

It's made up of individual pins.

Yes, it is possible you may have bent some.

They should be spaced in a uniform pattern with the tips of the pins lining up in straight lines as far as I am aware. Intel's been the same about having pins evenly spaced from LGA775 through LGA1155, and probably LGA1150 as well.

I just looked at a picture of an LGA1150 socket. I was correct, the pins should be evenly spaced and line up in straight lines.

0pni.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

A zoomed image of my socket shows what looks to be something woven, not pins.

I see one that looks a bit out of place....4th row from the top 4 rows in from the right.

Individual pins.
Needle and a magnifying glass works nicely for fixing 'em. Be very very very very gentle. It doesn't have to be perfect, just close enough that it touches its pad on the CPU and not a different pad. If you break it off and its an important pin (50/50 on that), the motherboard is dead and cannot be revived.
With a top-down view I can probably tell you whether it's an issue or not, if it's just bent upward it'll be fine as-is.

G'day mate,
Happens I have the same motherboard and did almost the exact same thing about 2 weeks ago. 1 pin bent slightly out of alignment and I thought I'd killed it.
Tried the trick with a credit card, straightened it out as best I could without breaking the pin and mine works fine as far as I can tell.

The only potential problem is that my 4670K tops out at 4.4ghz even when watercooled but that could just be an average Haswell chip. Otherwise my PC runs fine, but I guess it really depends on that pin.

Last edited:
Intel is pretty good about putting out data sheets on their sockets. I had an 1155 board that had some pins broken off. I looked up the data sheet to find they were just ground pins. So I won't be overclocking a high wattage cpu with that board anymore, but it still functions perfectly.

You may want to try finding the 1150 data sheet and finding the job of that pin just to be safe.

Nice! I briefly had an open-box Z77 motherboard from Micro Center that had some bent pins but it worked fine as well. I ended up returning it for other reasons..

Back