• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket temp ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlailBoy

Hey I just got involved in the thread below me and decided to try for the 20x multi, well...immediately. :)

I'm running blended prime right now. 20 minutes in and so far, so good. Do I have to worry about a 63 degree socket temp (TMPIN2)? Cores are all plenty cool.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    30.8 KB · Views: 113
Well the socket temp. isn't going to be ~12C higher than the max. core temp's of 51C (max. TMPIN2 of 63C), and the motherboard temp. is going to be the lesser of the three.

@ Flailboy. This temps crap is why I won't have a Gigabyte board in AMD type anyway. Don't know about Intel I think Intel temps are a lot more 'standardized' and most likely get it correct.

You and I both know that we have seen 100s if not thousands of captures showing a difference of CPU/socket temp greater than Core Temp on AMD Denebs and forward. Differences from 8c to 12c and sometimes a little more if the case temps are not real good and the cpu cooler pretty good. Pretty standard fare to see the Core Temps less than the socket temps once the Cpu cooler goes aftermarket and pulls heat from the core but does little for cooling the socket temp down.

So since we have a more accurate drift of what we see regular here day in and day out we turn again to what you have for odd temps. Has Gigabyte swapped the temp sensor outputs? Doubt it but possible. Seeing your temps last night, I left-off posting an answer to you since information was lacking. Only a across the board comparison like was done in that post you linked is going to have much chance of sorting your particular temps out.

Truth? I had rather your temp readout to have the TMPIN1 and the TMPIN2 reversed at the hardware level since then your temps would make more sense against the 100s of temps we have seen for AMD Deneb forward. But my actual guess is the 4-core processor you have is getting good air-flow around the socket area and the cooler is not getting rid of the core heat since you clocked up. This lets you see that odd 49c CPU Temp and the higher 51c Core/Package temp. And the VRMs are heating up now that you are pushing the cpu more.

Like I said, in my mind I wish the your temp readout pins were reversed but I doubt it. The only way to stand any chance to sort you TMPINx out is with the three temp read-out apps as was done in the post you linked.

The AMD temp thing is a reason for me not to go Gigabyte since I am tired of having the situation sorted and then along comes another Giga board that will not stay in pattern.
RGone...

Yeah ok. Thanks. Reading temps that way actually does make a little more sense. I'm not really sweating it then. I have decent cooling on this board and plenty of airflow.

Yeah ok. Thanks. Reading temps that way actually does make a little more sense. I'm not really sweating it then. I have decent cooling on this board and plenty of airflow.

Be TMPIN1 or 2 whatever, at the point you are now...you are right, not a lot of need to sweat-it.
RGone...

Back