• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket Temperature holding me back from overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hopefully the CPU can do it. THAT is the biggest variable in all of this. Not all CPUs are created equal. You may not have chip that will do 5Ghz with reasonable voltages for example...

ASSUMING you have a good CPU that will do it, the ASUS Z97-A will take you there (as I already said above).

Again, overclocking that high yielded almost nothing in BF4, so make sure you are pushing things this hard for legitimate reasons. ;)

Hopefully the CPU can do it. THAT is the biggest variable in all of this. Not all CPUs are created equal. You may not have chip that will do 5Ghz with reasonable voltages for example...

ASSUMING you have a good CPU that will do it, the ASUS Z97-A will take you there (as I already said above).

Again, overclocking that high yielded almost nothing in BF4, so make sure you are pushing things this hard for legitimate reasons. ;)

Big question - is the H100i compatible with my case? Is the rad too thick? I have to slots where the rad can go: The front intake and the top. The front intake is out of the question because it is too far and has a case. The top may work, but I don't want the rad sitting on the VRMs.

I actually like these kind of threads. Back and forth and around the world and you get to see a good view of how crazy setting up for a game can actually become. How fanboy it is and yet they claim no fanboyism. Hehehe. And then the "chart" changes when a new boy comes to town. Such a hoot. Be careful when you throw one toy away for another for a single game. It can be coslty and slap one in the face with not much more performance for the time, money and effort expended.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/62164-amd-or-intel-processor-for-bf4-build-ultra/
AMD or Intel processor for BF4 build (ultra)

One more thing to remember is that the graphing seen was done with a single TITAN nvidia video card and such is a monster.

Plus they say Mantle is coming and maybe here for ATI cards. A lot to really comprehend when throwing money at a game.

RGone...ster.

I just found out that the 4770k is selling for $269.99 at Microcenter :D If only I could afford it right now...

Yes Microcenter has very good walk in deals on Cpu's and also very good combo deals on Mobo/Cpu.

Last edited:
I actually like these kind of threads. Back and forth and around the world and you get to see a good view of how crazy setting up for a game can actually become. How fanboy it is and yet they claim no fanboyism. Hehehe. And then the "chart" changes when a new boy comes to town. Such a hoot. Be careful when you throw one toy away for another for a single game. It can be coslty and slap one in the face with not much more performance for the time, money and effort expended.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/62164-amd-or-intel-processor-for-bf4-build-ultra/
AMD or Intel processor for BF4 build (ultra)

One more thing to remember is that the graphing seen was done with a single TITAN nvidia video card and such is a monster.

Plus they say Mantle is coming and maybe here for ATI cards. A lot to really comprehend when throwing money at a game.

RGone...ster.

No fanboyism here... I have always wanted an Intel CPU, but it cost too much. Now I may be able to get one.

Yes Microcenter has very good walk in deals on Cpu's and also very good combo deals on Mobo/Cpu.

Unfortunately they do not seem to have the Z97-A. They do, on the other hand, have the Maximus VII Hero. I am assuming it is marked down for a bundle, because it is $189.99 along with the $269.99 CPU. Unfortunately, the H100i is $139.99, which is too much. I can get an H105 (That is better I believe, is it not?) for $119.99, coming to $614.77 with tax. This is the most perfect thing. Will the deal stay like this for another month?

From what I've seen the Combo deals at micro center stay pretty constant, once in a while they have a "super deal" about 6 months ago they had 4770k's on sale for $199 + the money off the motherboard combo. I have also found that they really do not have competitive prices on other products other then sale items and the Processor and mobo combos.

From what I've seen the Combo deals at micro center stay pretty constant, once in a while they have a "super deal" about 6 months ago they had 4770k's on sale for $199 + the money off the motherboard combo. I have also found that they really do not have competitive prices on other products other then sale items and the Processor and mobo combos.

Do you think that the 4790k will have a bundle discount with the Maximus VII Hero like the 4770K does? Doesn't seem to at the moment. I am getting the HERO because MicroCenter doesn't have the Z97-A, and I am not looking to make a purchase from Newegg due to shipping and do not want to be without a motherboard for a few days. Also, any tips on selling the parts? (The 8320, the M5A99X, H60, and 760GMA-P34(FX)) Thank you in advance!

They probably will have a combo deal when it's available as it isn't right now, I don't know if they'll have a super deal on it for $199.00. My only advice to sell the stuff is ebay.

They probably will have a combo deal when it's available as it isn't right now, I don't know if they'll have a super deal on it for $199.00. My only advice to sell the stuff is ebay.

What about people purposely breaking it and sending it back saying it doesn't work? Also, I do not have the box for the 8320. What can I do?

The new Haswells (Devils Canyon) are supposed to have better temps. Only time will tell, you also don't need a $220 motherboard. Gigabyte, Asrock come to mind. If you live near a microcenter, they have the 4770K for $269. I'm guessing that the 4790 will be similarly priced.

What about people purposely breaking it and sending it back saying it doesn't work? Also, I do not have the box for the 8320. What can I do?
Take really really good pictures, document everything well and leave the cpu mounted to the board or participate in the forum, get 100 posts and try selling it here.

Take really really good pictures, document everything well and leave the cpu mounted to the board or participate in the forum, get 100 posts and try selling it here.

So should I ship it with the CPU in the mobo?

The new Haswells (Devils Canyon) are supposed to have better temps. Only time will tell, you also don't need a $220 motherboard. Gigabyte, Asrock come to mind. If you live near a microcenter, they have the 4770K for $269. I'm guessing that the 4790 will be similarly priced.

My friend has an ASRock board and it doesn't let him overclock much and crashes past 1.3V. It is the Extreme9. I want an ASUS because I have all of my stuff optimized for ASUS stuff. I like their BIOS and overclocking ability. I do not want to have to reinstall everything. The 4790K is $279.99 and the mobo is $229, but with the 4770K instead of the 4790K, the mobo is $189.99. The total price after everything is $667.77 including tax with the 4790K and the mobo, but with the 4770K and the mobo it is $614.77. Should I get the 4770K or get the Devil's Canyon counterpart? I have read that at stock speeds on air, the 4790K gets to 88 C with the cooler, with 78 C with the 4770K at the lower speed, but at 4 GHz I could imagine it could get up to 95 C. With the H105 on the other hand, I am planning to hit 5 GHz, but I will have to use the 4790K for that. Would I probably be able to hit 5 GHz with an H105 and a Maximus VII Hero? I heard that the HERO is better at overclocking because (correct me if I am wrong) it has VRMs rated for 60 Amps. Temperatures then go down. Question is - will I be able to really have a difference big enough with a 4790K to justify the extra $53?

Back