• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket Temperature holding me back from overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is the main reason I need to get rid of my 8320 - it lacks in rendering.
This is news to me, from what I've read and seen this is where the Fx 8xxx excels.

You want "future proofing" for rendering, this is the ticket i7-5960X

It may depend on the software used but I know that these FX CPUs are a beast when it comes to video work, I do Bluray work and I know RGone does a lot of video as well and is quite happy with the work his does.

Rendering isn't the only thing that I am doing. Gaming is a big one, too. The FX processor can compress and render fast at my clock speeds, about the speed of a 3770k at stock speeds, but I am not JUST rendering. If I was just rendering and needed to do it fast, I would have gone with an Ivy-Bridge-E processor. I want a good processor that excels at gaming and rendering, which the 4670K doesn't at rendering because it doesn't offer 8 threads. If a 4770/90K is over clocked, it beats the 8320 in rendering.

Or save $500 and the non X hex...

That is way out of my budget, but I would get it if I could.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is why I specifically noted it was a hex (and different than the octo you mentioned at $1k)... but I gotcha regardless. :)

It takes me a while sometimes ED but I re read what you posted and :facepalm: now I see. :shock: :D

Kidding aside, do you think that the 4790K will be worth an extra $53? Edit: Now $63. The 4770K is now $10 cheaper.

Kidding aside, do you think that the 4790K will be worth an extra $53? Edit: Now $63. The 4770K is now $10 cheaper.

On paper it sounds like it will be but until we see some real results on non ES chips, it remains to be seen.

Alright. Should I just go for the 4770K while I can?

Nobody can really answer that but you. When we say X you have already read Y and answer accordingly. So when it comes to spending money for a cpu that are just a few dollars apart it seems...well the buying is most certainly up to you and your choices about your money.
RGone...

Nobody can really answer that but you. When we say X you have already read Y and answer accordingly. So when it comes to spending money for a cpu that are just a few dollars apart it seems...well the buying is most certainly up to you and your choices about your money.
RGone...

After this:

www.youtube.com/embed/uFGfHgLavJY

I am really leaning towards the 4790K... I am back and forth.

Yes you are back and forth. There is a thought. Why don 't you start you a thread in the Intel CPU section instead of this AMD Mobo Section and let Intellites which is where you seem headed...give advice.

Even after that you and you alone are going to have to make the decision yourself. Hardly anyone but a "died in the wool" overclocker is going to trade up to 4790K today when there are so very few real users reporting their 'real' overclocks with the 4790K cpu. Almost certainly not if their 4770K does 4.5Ghz. So you really are trying to buy at a very tough time when there is no real time data base of 4790K reports and nothing really but hype and some review sites that may have picked cpus furnished them. This is the situation too too many times to count really.

Get you some dice and roll them and make you choice. That always seems to work on close calls.
RGone...

Yes you are back and forth. There is a thought. Why don 't you start you a thread in the Intel CPU section instead of this AMD Mobo Section and let Intellites which is where you seem headed...give advice.

Even after that you and you alone are going to have to make the decision yourself. Hardly anyone but a "died in the wool" overclocker is going to trade up to 4790K today when there are so very few real users reporting their 'real' overclocks with the 4790K cpu. Almost certainly not if their 4770K does 4.5Ghz. So you really are trying to buy at a very tough time when there is no real time data base of 4790K reports and nothing really but hype and some review sites that may have picked cpus furnished them. This is the situation too too many times to count really.

Get you some dice and roll them and make you choice. That always seems to work on close calls.
RGone...

Alright. Thank you guys very much for the responses!

if your talking about getting rid of the 8320 rig you'll have to reinstall everything anyway.
if your expecting big things by going to intel, your setting yourself up for diapointment.
watch the microcenter bundles, they rotate sockets each month, 2011 and 1150 this month, and then 2011 and 1155 the next.

if your talking about getting rid of the 8320 rig you'll have to reinstall everything anyway.
if your expecting big things by going to intel, your setting yourself up for diapointment.
watch the microcenter bundles, they rotate sockets each month, 2011 and 1150 this month, and then 2011 and 1155 the next.

Why would I be setting myself up for disappointment going to Intel? I do understand that the difference in performance isn't enormous, but it is a good bit. I would really like to not have to worry about hitting 60 C anymore. I would like to have better performance in gaming (Battlefield and Flight Simulator X specifically) and rendering (Sony Vegas and some compression with HandBrake). FSX would mostly benefit because it is a single threaded game and Intel excels in Single Threaded Performance. The 4770K/90K is superior to the 8320 and the 8320 has to be overclocked to 4.8-5 GHz to achieve some of the same results while exceeding its maximum thermal capability. The 4770K is much more Crossfire-friendly, as well. The performance will be much better and I doubt it would disappoint very much.

Good luck. You are now in Intel land with your current thread in that section and since you are actually wanting to go Intel that should produce better for you Luck man.
RGone...

Good luck. You are now in Intel land with your current thread in that section and since you are actually wanting to go Intel that should produce better for you Luck man.
RGone...

Alright. Many thanks to you, and I hope everything goes well for you as well! Thanks again.

~ab98

Back