• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(sold out) SD mp3 player $5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
blackfury said:
I take it you can't buy more than one? anytime I try to add 2 or more it does not work... Is this still worth jumping on?

More than likely they have more than just 1 in stock, and that this is just a strategy so that people cant order more than 1 and get charged just $7 for shipping on 5 units.This way each unit they sell is worths around $12 (including shipping) rather than buying 5 units and the shipping cost still be only $7. So, essentially, instead of buying 5 units at $5 and paying $7 shipping for all 5 combine (a grand total of $32), they now will make around $60 for those same 5 units---about a 90% gain in revenue.

Now, on a seperate note:
Mine MP3 player came Monday.There were some minor scrathes, but nothing that wouldnt occur naturally after 1 or 2 uses.The packaging was carefully opened so that you can still give it as a gift.They did not need to cut the packaging to open it---just remove 1 staple.This way I can easily put a new SD card in the package, then put a staple where the old one went---and it looks like the packaging was never opened at all.I have yet to test the unit, but wanted to let everyone know that this is something that, depite being opened, can still be used as a gift.

PS- the only scrathes on my unit was on the backside of the unit, and the front was not scrathed at all.Just to let you know...this unit looks like its not very durable.After touching the controls, it appears like the controls are flimsy.For $12---its a great deal---but I would have bought 2 if I realized how breakable the unit appears.

Hey guys... I emailed the support at mymusix and asked for the fix for a bad flash. Hopefully, theyll send me the fix just in case my flash goes bad, and I will also host it for all those people that are having problems. Will let you guys know as soon as I get hooked up with the necessary info.

I haven't done anything but power mine on with my 1gb SD card in. I still have to get to playing around with it, and I haven't flashed it or anything...

------------------------------------------------

I tried sticking USB cable in backwards and it wouldn't go in. I don't understand how you guys got the cable to go in backwards!!! Maybe there was a newer batch that fixed that???

Last edited:
g0dM@n said:
I tried sticking USB cable in backwards and it wouldn't go in. I don't understand how you guys got the cable to go in backwards!!! Maybe there was a newer batch that fixed that???

Mine got plugged into the PC with the USB cable in backwards and it smoked my USB controller. None of the onboard ports work now. It evidently also overloaded the 5v rail on my PS which took down a hard drive and DVD-rom. :rolleyes: :bang head

When it happened my 10 year old niece said "What smells like burnt hair?" and there was an unsettling sizzling sound. Yeah, it was the PC cooking. So it may not be easy to plug it in backwards, but trust me it is possible.... and it can cause damage.

The mp3 player lived through this incident, remarkably. Seems like a durable little bugger.

AND I WAS PLUGGING IT INTO MY 2405FPW MONITOR!!!

I would have KILLED something if my monitor started smoking. Dear God that is a serious issue. How could they let something like that slip by (referring to mymusix)?

Which end can plug in backwards... the mp3 end, or the end that connects to PC???

It's the mp3 player end. The USB cable was already plugged into the PC (correctly) and my niece plugged the player in backwards which, I'm guessing, caused a short.

Mine arrived and it's cable was keyed so that it can't be inserted the wrong way around. If yours arrives without a keyed jack on the player I suggest just using a card reader to transfer music to the SD card before putting it in the player.

Great MP3 player, even better than my older FrontierLabs NEX IIe that my Dad lost. I ordered 2 more since my Mom now wants one and I needed something to give my brother for his birthday.

Yeah, I got a key on my cable as well on the mp3 end. I guess that's why I was wondering how some of you were putting it backwards. :D

Mine won't recognize a 512 SD card. I'll reformat it to make sure that it's FAT. I have a 1gb and it sees the mp3s but won't play them. I'll have to check the format on that one also and make sure that it's FAT32. I was able to upgrade the bios twice though using the 1gb card. Very weird that it won't play. The title shows up but it never starts playing. I can even go to the next song, but it won't play.

If anyone needs the fix on a broken player, PM me your email address. I have the full instructions and the file.

The file is a zip file of 3mb. Where can I host a file of that size... megadownload or something?

g0dM@n said:
If anyone needs the fix on a broken player, PM me your email address. I have the full instructions and the file.

The file is a zip file of 3mb. Where can I host a file of that size... megadownload or something?

What are the instructions? I am wondering what hoops I would have to go through if this bugger died...

g0dM@n said:

If need be I can host the file, lmk.

z

Captain Slug said:
Mine did that when I first got it, but the problem went away when I connected through USB, disconnected, then turned it on with the power button.

When I plug in the USB the computer says that it can't recognize the device and that the device has malfunctioned. The device is showing the USB connect screen. I think this one is just fu'd. I have another one coming soon so I'll see how that behaves.

dgk said:
When I plug in the USB the computer says that it can't recognize the device and that the device has malfunctioned. The device is showing the USB connect screen. I think this one is just fu'd. I have another one coming soon so I'll see how that behaves.
Same thing happened to me. It would not detect on my laptop ever. Popped it in my desktop and everything was fine. I was buying a bunch of stuff from Newegg the next day so I grabbed a 20 zillion in 1 usb card reader to use.

dgk said:
Your USB port isn't supplying enough power to run the device. Chances are good the device is fine.

larva said:
Your USB port isn't supplying enough power to run the device. Chances are good the device is fine.

I tried it on two desktop computers, same thing on both. I formatted a 1gb sandisk to make sure that it was FAT32. The device still won't play the mp3s. It sees them, it just won't play them.

dgk said:
I tried it on two desktop computers, same thing on both. I formatted a 1gb sandisk to make sure that it was FAT32. The device still won't play the mp3s. It sees them, it just won't play them.
Bummer. Sounds like it is indeed faulty. I hope the one I ordered for my mother is more satisfactory.

Back