• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED solid 00 error code on a maximus V formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neostarwcc

Okay so I'm trying to fix a desktop for a friend and he's getting a solid 00 Error code on his Maximus V Formula I've looked this error code up in the manual and it says "not used". I've no idea what not used means and he's getting a solid cpu error light (although I know why that is he doesn't have a cpu fan installed). I don't get it, it booted just fine a half hour ago and the only error I got was that there was no CPU fan installed. I shut off the computer and looked up how to bypass this error in the bios of the maximus V forumla on my desktop and then turned on his computer and there was no display. Also, I'm unable to hook up a keyboard and mouse to the desktop but that may be because I need to boot into windows to install the drivers for them.

But there's no display on the monitor now at all. I checked all the connections and they're fine and normally you get switching codes not just a solid 00 error. I don't think the motherboard is fried or 100% fried because then the computer wouldn't turn on it all, but it's turned on and everything there's just no display, keyboard or mouse, and a solid 00 error. I can probably fix the keyboard and mouse problem by using another keyboard/mouse that doesn't need drivers to work but the rest... idk stumped on whether or not I should make him wait 3-5 weeks for ASUS to replace his motherboard or not.

*edit*

I hooked up another keyboard and mouse that doesn't need drivers and the laser on the mouse turns on really quick and then shuts off. Maybe it is the motherboard. I've never seen a dead motherboard turn on before though.

Last edited:
okay i'm trying that now. I also tried clearing his cmos and that made no difference and for some reason I can't stick ANY fan on either of the cpu fan slots. The pins are not bent or moved in any way,shape, or form so that's 100% stumping me.

*edit*

It was disabled already.

Last edited:
If the LN2 switch is disabled and the Slow Mode switch is off, then the CPU is probably toast. Is the PSU connected to either the 4 or 8-pin EATX12V CPU power connector at the upper left of the board?

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 1,688
Wait, was there a heatsink on the CPU?

Just making sure since you said something about no CPU fan.

even though the cpu error could more than likely be from there being no cpu fan hooked up? I'm unable to get a cpu fan hooked up at all to test this theory.

I know he tried overclocking the CPU last night, he overclocked it to 1.2v and it was running fine (24c idle don't know load temps because he could never get past the cpu fan error) and it was running fine in my hands up until I went to look up how to get past the cpu fan error and then it stopped working.

Wait, was there a heatsink on the CPU?

Just making sure since you said something about no CPU fan.

Sorry I should have said why, I thought I did. He hooked up a water cooler to his desktop and had no need for one. And he couldn't hook up a cpu fan because the connector provided with his kit wouldn't fit.

I'm not asking if there's a fan hooked in or not, I want to know if there's a heatsink on the CPU.

I'm not asking if there's a fan hooked in or not, I want to know if there's a heatsink on the CPU.

There's a water block but no heatsink.

He had slow mode on, I shut it off and it made no difference. Could be he fried the cpu or motherboard (or both) when he overclocked it with slow mode on and ln2 off. It says not to do it in his manual.

A water block is a type of heatsink.

I agree with what Redduc asked last, is the CPU Power connected?

Edit: you beat me to it. Can you build the system outside the case on a piece of cardboard?

If you have the motherboard box, simply build on top of that.

This is just a temporary setup to test the components.

If you have the motherboard box, simply build on top of that.

This is just a temporary setup to test the components.

The box is at his house, well I think I do have a box for one of my old GPU's laying around. I'll go look and try it. Well if I took his waterblock off would I see burn marks or anything on the CPU to definitely know if he fried it or not? What I don't understand is, if he definitely fried it I don't see how it could be possible when his CPU was running fine last night from what he told me. 24-26c idle the entire night. And when I had it on this morning it was a 24. And 1.2v isn't a high enough voltage to fry it electric wise. Unless yeah, it was the switch being on and him having the lc2 jumper disabled.

I doubt you'll see any marks on the CPU. Wouldn't hurt to pull the waterblock off and check the TIM though.

Do you have an 1155 CPU that you can try in the motherboard?

I did own a 2600k but I haven't a clue where it is so it doesn't really help us :(. Okay I found a box and installed the computer, the same thing happens. I'm taking off the water block now to ensure that there's no burn marks. Well. if there's no burn marks on the CPU maybe intel would cover/replace it. He bought it this year so it'd still be within warranty and intel would have to prove that he fried it with overclocking to refuse his RMA.

If it still won't POST, even outside the case, then just take the CPU and board somewhere where both can be tested.

Okay guys I'm pretty sure on the problem now. It's the motherboard I'm pretty sure. I found a intel pentium g630 in one of my computer part boxes. Looked up if the maximus V supported pentium 1155 processors, it does. I know for 100% that this cpu works because I had it in an old desktop and it was working perfectly. I installed it into his maximus V and the same thing happens. Solid cpu led light and solid 00 error. It's either because I can't hook up a fan to it or something on his motherboard is dead somewhere. I'll be encouraging him to contact ASUS and having the motherboard replaced, the ram slots weren't working anyway and none of his USB ports are working so this would be a plus anyway.

I even ran it with no processor and it still gives a 00 error. I've had previous experiance with this board it always gives different codes for this it's never one solid code. Especially a "not used" code. I'm confident enough that that's the problem now.

did you check with a stock cpu heatsink and fan? Perhaps the waterblock mounting could be causing issues.

Back