• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED solid 00 error code on a maximus V formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
did you check with a stock cpu heatsink and fan? Perhaps the waterblock mounting could be causing issues.

Yeah I've been unable to hook up ANY heatsink or fan to it. What's wierd is you get the connector over the pins exactly as it should be, you put mild force on it and it doesn't move and it's exactly the way it should be. You put moderate force and ditto, any more force and you'll bend/breakthe pins. The pins aren't moved or bent in any way,shape,or form either it's a mystery.

I took off the waterblock completely so it isn't the waterblock mounting unfortunately. I think I'm right that it's motherboard, perhaps when he did that he fried or started to fry the motherboard. But again, I've never seen a dead motherboard turn on before. 99.9% of the time it's totally dead.

I'll post a pic this afternoon, need to go to my parents and get a camera (I don't own one). But, I'll gladly do that. I can't see it being off in any way, and I can't really hook up anything to the other fan connectors on the board either. So it is massively strange. I told him to make sure not to mention this to ASUS because they'll probably refuse his RMA request due to damage he made to the board and just request a refurbished replacement.

Because the first thing that came to mind from the solid CPU light was there being no fan installed. When it was running I can't remember if that light was on or not, but I installed a compatible 1155 CPU and it made no difference so I know it's not the CPU. Plus, there wasn't a solid 00 code when it was working it was varying codes. I'm 95% sure it's the motherboard and like I said, he needed a replacement eventually anyway as two ram slots didn't work.

Something sounds a little bit off to me. Two RAM slots don't work, USB ports don't work, unable to detect keyboard/mouse in BIOS, and you physically cannot attach a fan to the CPU fan header?

What was the initial problem that he asked you to fix it (since this problem didn't start until after you had the PC).

Was the WC loop running while you had the PC on?

In the hand book for this board, code 00 "not used" and a solid cpu light suggest a bad cpu seating or possibly bent pins on the motherboard. 1-29 http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/MAXIMUS-V-FORMULA/Manual/290292

There are things you can try, such as recovering the bios from the original disk. I would suggest checking how the cpu is seated in the socket, perhaps no pins are bent, just needs a reseat to make better contact.

In order to re-cover the bios, you pull the HD's leave the DVD rom and pull all but one stick of Ram. Slap the original disk that came with the board and proceed to bios recovery. Warning, this will put the stock bios onto the motherboard. You will have to update it afterwards.

These are the only two things that come to mind here. The board will not continue to post unless it passed all the self tests.

Something sounds a little bit off to me. Two RAM slots don't work, USB ports don't work, unable to detect keyboard/mouse in BIOS, and you physically cannot attach a fan to the CPU fan header?

What was the initial problem that he asked you to fix it (since this problem didn't start until after you had the PC).

Was the WC loop running while you had the PC on?

Okay, he wanted me to work on it to see if I could connect a cpu fan to it as he was unable to connect the one that came with the raystorm ax240 pump or get past the CPU fan error that was coming up as the maximus V Formula will not let you boot into windows without a CPU fan as a safety feature.

The USB Ports not working happened after I shut the computer off and the 00 error code started coming up. I thought it was the keyboard and mouse I was using but used a plug and play one and laser on the mouse went on for about 200 milliseconds and then shut off and the laser is steady when hooking it up to my desktop.

The Ram slots didn't work from day one of him receiving the motherboard (he bought it brand new on Ebay to save money). He decided not to get this issue fixed because it was a minor issue to wait a month for ASUS to fix or replace it and ASUS said he still had 5 years left on his warranty. It's the two ram slots from the very right and they give a "ram not installed correctly" error code despite them being in place correct.

Yes, I cannot attach any fan to the motherboard I tried a stock 3770k heatsink and it will not hook up on any of the pins. They COULD be bent or off target since Shrimp just said alot of the times the 00 Error comes up due to bent pins. However, they do not look bent to me. I'll take a picture for you guys when I get a camera sometime this afternoon. If the pins are in fact bent, he's going to have to buy another motherboard because I know from personal experience that ASUS will NOT cover bent pins.

In the hand book for this board, code 00 "not used" and a solid cpu light suggest a bad cpu seating or possibly bent pins on the motherboard. 1-29 http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/MAXI.../Manual/290292

There are things you can try, such as recovering the bios from the original disk. I would suggest checking how the cpu is seated in the socket, perhaps no pins are bent, just needs a reseat to make better contact.

In order to re-cover the bios, you pull the HD's leave the DVD rom and pull all but one stick of Ram. Slap the original disk that came with the board and proceed to bios recovery. Warning, this will put the stock bios onto the motherboard. You will have to update it afterwards.

These are the only two things that come to mind here. The board will not continue to post unless it passed all the self tests.
Today 04:11 PM

I will try that right now and get back to you if it works.

To clarify, re-seating a cpu is like re-seating ram sticks. I'd do both.

If it posts to have yet bios issues, then do a recovery.

In the bios, set the fan to ignore in the readout of rpms. That will get rid of the bios nagging about it. If you use voltage over 1.6v, you can do the same procedure for the bios nagging.

The cpu fan header should look exactly like the one depicted in post #4. If you don't have a stock heat sink fan that fits that, I'm curious to what the problem might be. But this is not needed being the bios nag feature can be turned off.....

I didn't get a chance to go to my parents yesterday but my mother is coming today to help me with something and I'll get her to bring her camera.

ASUS is also open today (I hope it's a holiday) and I'll see if they can help me with the issue as well and hopefully it isn't due to bent pins because ASUS won't cover that.

Shrimp I tried everything you suggested and the same thing happens, it won't POST and solid 00 error/CPU led. I think if nothing is working at this point and if ASUS can't figure out the problem, it's safe to assume that he needs a new motherboard.

The pins that you are most worried about are the socket pins, underneath the CPU. Are they straight?

The CPU pins are fine. Okay guys, it was the motherboard. He ordered an OpenBox motherboard from NewEgg (since newegg was out of stock on the maximus V formula but had it in open box) and I installed it yesterday afternoon. Well by install it, I mean bench test it on a cardboard box. It posted fine and gave varying error codes instead of the solid 00 and no error lights came on. I however, later fried the motherboard because it made contact with his case, lol. It doesn't make any lights or anything now or turn on :p. But this is due to my own incompetence and stupidity, I was to lazy to take his PSU out so I had limited room to work with and yeah... it touched the case and fried. I owe him another motherboard, it's a good thing I/We have shoprunner lol.

But at least we know for 100% sure what the problem was now and I'll make sure to remove the power supply next time or have him install it himself. He'll just get his desktop back saturday instead of today now :p

Back