• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[SOLVED] Blue Screen only when running a benchmark

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaPoets

I think the answer is my AMD videocard driver was updated and it's not a good version. But here is the issue. For months now my PC has been rock solid, I can bench, game, even do some hard core web browsing. The other day I decided to run TimeSpy and I got instant blue screen. So I ran it again, instant blue screen. So I ran Heaven and got instant blue screen. So I loaded up every single game I play (Battlefield V, World of Warcraft, Planetside 2, etc...) and they all run just fine.

So my question is... WTF?

Last edited:
Was the video card driver update the result of a Windows update or a purposeful download and install of the latest from AMD? Windows updates will often replace drivers with older WQL ones.

Also, are you sure your GPU fans are all spinning? Are the heat sinks on the card clogged with dust? Does the fan curve need to be more aggressive?

I had the same problem with 3DMark. Never figured out why only 3DMark would blue screen, but everything else ran fine, so I just stopped using it years ago. I've never even tried it after switching from nV to AMD.

Was the video card driver update the result of a Windows update or a purposeful download and install of the latest from AMD? Windows updates will often replace drivers with older WQL ones.

Also, are you sure your GPU fans are all spinning? Are the heat sinks on the card clogged with dust? Does the fan curve need to be more aggressive?

It's all on an open loop so yeah... But windows did do it's update so maybe that's what happened... I reinstalled the AMD drivers and that didn't do anything.

Heaven is a dated benchmark/stress tester. I can't even get it to open on Windows 10 anymore. Says some .dll file is missing but even when I manually install that .dll file the program won't open.

Heaven is outdated but worked like a charm until recently. Additionally any of the 3Dmark (timespy, ultra, etc) also crash me to BSoD. I think it's odd that it's only benchmarks. I can run Prime95 and all the other stress tests I normally use just fine.

Does the fan curve need to be more aggressive?

That reminds me of my PNY GeForce GTX 960, where it's a slacker when it comes to the fan curve! It would show 80 C or the like easily in a short time with default fan speed. (Before I took it out and popped in the Asus Strix GeForce GTX 970)

DaPoets said:
even do some hard core web browsing.
LOL What does that mean? Web browsing is never taxing on a computer. Even with a high-speed fiber connection, the data coming in is never coming in fast enough to choke even basic office computers.

I don't like benchmarking programs. They either give users a false sense that everything is great, or they give users anxiety that something is wrong. If your computer works fine with all your programs, I say go by the axiom, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it!"

I would, however, make sure the interior is clean of heat trapping dust and that all fans spin freely. Make sure the OS is fully updated. You might want to test your RAM. I only recommend PassMark’s MemTest86. Allow the diagnostics to run for several passes or even overnight. You should have no reported errors – not even one.

Note this program should not be confused with other testers with similar names. This is the only memory tester that is still under constant development with regular updates.

LOL What does that mean? Web browsing is never taxing on a computer. Even with a high-speed fiber connection, the data coming in is never coming in fast enough to choke even basic office computers.

lol sorry that was just a joke...

Heat isn't an issue, it's something to do w/ the software as it's an instant BSOD once the benchmarks start and any games I run on Ultra are smooth as butter. I did a MemTest86 run multiple times as well as all of my stress tests, which is why I'm confused as to what's causing this.

And no errors?

Maybe try another benchmark - Prime95 for example.

Yeah in my 1st couple of posts I stated I ran Prime95 and a bunch other stress tests and they all pass just fine. No errors on MemTest86 or any other tests.

Yeah in my 1st couple of posts I stated I ran Prime95
Sorry, I missed that in post #6.

I guess if me, I would check again for updated graphics and motherboard/chipset drivers, and BIOS firmware - if I was that concerned. But since all your other programs work fine, I personally would just leave it.

I'm starting to think my Vega 64 is actually going bad as now Battlefield V brings me to BSoD and a few times lately when I have rebooted the windows splash screen has had the colors inverted...

I'm starting to think my Vega 64 is actually going bad as now Battlefield V brings me to BSoD and a few times lately when I have rebooted the windows splash screen has had the colors inverted...

In my experience, components that at first seem only to malfunction when doing certain tasks usually degenerate over time to reveal that the initial spotty problems were indeed bell weathers of a more serious issue.

I guess before I start replacing parts, I'll drain my loop, slap another card in there and see if I get the same problem. If I don't, then I'll at least re-apply the water block on the VEGA 64 and see if perhaps I'm having an undetectable heat spike that is giving me the instand BSoD. Wasn't planning on buying another video card as I'm already going to get the X570 Master motherboard from Gigabyte and the 16c/32t cpu along w/ a water block for it. sigh...

I always ensure I am supplying good power by swapping in a known good supply before I start ordering replacement parts. Remember, until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, even the best makers will produce a unit that fails prematurely - especially if it has been subjected to power anomalies through the grid, or abused in other ways (dropped during transit, for example).

I always ensure I am supplying good power by swapping in a known good supply before I start ordering replacement parts. Remember, until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, even the best makers will produce a unit that fails prematurely - especially if it has been subjected to power anomalies through the grid, or abused in other ways (dropped during transit, for example).

This is true. My Seasonic powersupply is brand new though and I have a very expensive backup battery/ surge unit that it's all plugged into as well. But it's process of elimination time.

and I have a very expensive backup battery/ surge unit
:thup: Good! I'm a firm believer that all computers should be on a "good" UPS with AVR - even for those who live in a stable grid area.

And again, while Seasonic is one of the most reputable brands, it is possible you got a lemon or one that was drop-kicked by a disgruntled employee somewhere.

But it's process of elimination time.
Exactly. Keep us posted.

Well here is an interesting twist. I can run Heaven Benchmark in window mode but BSOD in Full Screen mode.

SOLVED!!

I had an app called Duet Display installed and it allows me to use my iPad Pro 12.9 as an extra screen. It's worked well for years but after uninstalling it I can run everything in full screen mode perfectly fine even fully overclocked. No idea what caused this to SNAFU on me, I'm guessing it was the latest windows 10 updates that borked it.

Back