• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[SOLVED]Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 problem Need help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My Sabertooth is sitting in it's box right now, so haven't looked at it in a while. Must be a jumper for something or even a data interface, Not sure. But ya it's probably best to leave it alone.

I finally found a pic that gives a decent view of it , maybe someone will have an idea of wht it is.

Sabertooth 3 pin thingy.JPG

Last edited:
No better Sabertooth Image but some fan header pics.

Indexing tab for fan headers so the wiring is not reversed.

4pin fan.jpg

3 Pin Fan Header shown below.

4pin fana.jpg

You're right RGone there's no tab on that and I remember wondering WTF it was when I built mine. I was tempted to use it for that little screamer fan till I noticed it wasn't a fan header. It's the right size for one and in a common fan header location. I thought it might be for testing or diagnostics and assume it was for ASUS only since there was no info in the manual about any jumpers in that location.

You're right RGone there's no tab on that and I remember wondering WTF it was when I built mine. I was tempted to use it for that little screamer fan till I noticed it wasn't a fan header. But you did notice! It's the right size for one and in a common fan header location. I thought it might be for testing or diagnostics and assume it was for ASUS only since there was no info in the manual about any jumpers in that location.

I also cannot really remember a fan header not done in some form of white plastic or maybe nylon on any mobo not even the most color keyed ones.

I can remember back when working for DFI that there was always one header on the mobo that everyone seemed to have to know what it did...Engineering always said it was for quick test on the assembly line. No ID what that 3 pin is but pretty clear it is not a fan header.
RBobertGone...sterstignatorzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

yes the fan header...
TRY THIS! ASUS tech support doesn't even help you, they just keep pushing you for an RMA. BUT THE REAL PROBLEM FOR ALL IS the 3 pin connector for the cpu . That's the culprit, You need to NEVER connect to the cpu power 3 pin female connector to the mobo 3 pin cpu fan male connector . You have to use the 3 pin female connector from the CPU on the 4 pin male connector just to the right of it on the MOBO called the cpu fan optional, it is a 4 pin male, but you use the 3 pin female cpu connector there and the embedded slot that places it in the right direction IS USED leaving 1 pin unused> so spread the word...the 3 pin male connector on the saber tooth FX990 is useless.

- - - Updated - - -

TRY THIS! ASUS tech support doesn't even help you, they just keep pushing you for an RMA. BUT THE REAL PROBLEM FOR ALL IS the 3 pin connector for the cpu . That's the culprit, You need to NEVER connect to the cpu power 3 pin female connector to the mobo 3 pin cpu fan male connector . You have to use the 3 pin female connector from the CPU on the 4 pin male connector just to the right of it on the MOBO called the cpu fan optional, it is a 4 pin male, but you use the 3 pin female cpu connector there and the embedded slot that places it in the right direction IS USED leaving 1 pin unused> so spread the word...the 3 pin male connector on the saber tooth FX990 is useless.

- - - Updated - - -

But I see the letters "_AN" on the backside of that header which I assume is preceded by an "F". Maybe it is for a different type of fan connector, like you see on server chassis fans, for instance.

That is strange, maybe there's a problem with the board. Like a bad connector I mean. Could be shorting out somewhere, would there be anything behind the board touching it there??

EDIT: I would check the backplate for the cooler make sure it's not grounding on something, also I'm not familiar with that model but I do know if some of these blocks are over tightened it can cause shorting issues.

Thank you sir it saved my problem which I was playing with for over two hours..

Glad I could help and welcome to OCF Archillus

I see this is solved but I kinda had the same thing after a power outage once, nothing I did made it power on, had a red led error light and that's all she wrote.

I left it unplugged for a week and she magically came to life, and this was after having cleared the cmos and it failing to do anything.

Still not sure what happened.

That was a year ago and she's still going strong.

Boards do that sometimes. Could have messed the BIOS a bit. I run into these things benching and it's always sweet when they come back

Back