• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

some issues on AMD set up.....Please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drosera01

Hello,
I have a AMD system running okay so far. Its the system on my signature.

Yesterday, I noticed that my NB heatsink was wiggling very loose (of course its not a good heatsink anyway) so thought either tightening it or if needed apply some paste on it. But As i pull the push-pins, heatsink just fell away and i noticed that the paste they used was dried as hard as rock.
So, i thought i would rather go with aftermarket NB heatsink and bought this one from local microcenter which looks good. The push-pins it came with was crap and was too small to hold Heatsink through holes on MB,
I grabbed some tiny nuts and bolts and rubber washers from Home-Depot, and fixed the heatsink on MB. (used the springs that came with original push-pins) Its nice and tight, So far so good.
Real issues are now:
1) while doing all above i had taken CMOS battery out as i wanted to start sytem with its stock setting. I put battery back, plugged all the cables and started the system but to my surprise CMOS was not cleared..... my system had same OC setting I had before. means 3.8 Ghz unlocked CPU, manual RAM timing and 1.39 volt. Wasn't taking battery out for about an hour supposed to clear CMOS and put the system back on all stock setting?

2) Then i went to BIOS and select to LOAD OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS, then only my computer came to stock setting. Then when i stressed the computer using IntelBurn test I see that the TDP goes to 83 W (okay as CPU is rated as 80W) but after completing IBT stress it drops to 30W. I had never noticed this low even before overclocking. I know its all on stock setting, cool & quiet, C1E and all green stting are on auto but still just 30W?
Is this something i need to be concerned?

Thank you.

Last edited:
No that sounds about right for a properly throttling stock CPU. Even overclocked but with C1E, C6, Cool N Quiet, and windows power management on my 8120 chills out around 0.9v and 1.3ghz which save a boatload of power. Those estimates are never quite right anyways but still. The low power consumption at idle is nothing to worry about especially when you have the power saving features on.

No that sounds about right for a properly throttling stock CPU. Even overclocked but with C1E, C6, Cool N Quiet, and windows power management on my 8120 chills out around 0.9v and 1.3ghz which save a boatload of power. Those estimates are never quite right anyways but still. The low power consumption at idle is nothing to worry about especially when you have the power saving features on.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention Min CPU voltage was 0.9 V, what you think about CMOS not being cleared after taking Battery out for more than One hour?

I am going to unlock this CPU again and OC it to 3.8 Ghz again. Before that i will check with all green stuffs disabled.
At the mean time I will have to check what CPU-Z shows while voltage is down to 0.9 V and power is down to 30W. I thought 30W is way too low even for idling system.

Don't you have a clear CMOS jumper on the board so that you don't have to take the battery out?

Don't you have a clear CMOS jumper on the board so that you don't have to take the battery out?

I have clear CMOS 2-upright pins, That could be used, I had no jumper caps, but i could have used a flat screw driver. I just thought about pulling battery out, which obviously did not clear CMOS, now question is why??? I am i supposed to do anything else besides pulling battery out??

The settings are flashed onto part of the ROM when you save them(I think) the reason for shorting the jumpers with the battery in is to clear that temporary storage and force the bios to use the default options because it will fail its integrity check.

Back