• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOME OF THIS CRAP JUST HAS TO GO!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What I can't have the 1090T?

I understand, it would be hard to relive the glory of my cherry 1090T that hit 6.7GHz.

C_D,

I feel your pain. I did the same thing. I ordered this...

secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx?Submit=view

Asus Maximus VI extreme is sold out on new egg so i might just get the formula instead.
G Skill TridentX 2600mhz.

I feel like a sell out :*(

Honestly, I haven't bought it yet, but I am debating getting a water cooling set up with 3 rads and just trying to OC the balls off my 6300 instead of joining the Intel wagon. Honestly though I think the money would be better spent just swapping my AMD parts for intel :\.. I'm really close to hitting the purchase button @ newegg, yet I kind of want to get wet. I have a full water loop planned out...Cant do both the water and the intel swap, don't have the funds.. Trying to decide one or the other.

Last edited:
F_f, there is not a valid reason to go to Intel if you do real work on your computer. I suppose if you had single threaded actual program used to make money and not a game, then maybe just maybe an Intel cpu might give you a little extra boost. But $500.00 to $700.00 boost? Not happening.

Now if you want some higher benches since that is your deal. Spend the money to go Intel. If you are bored with what you have. Spend the money and go Intel.

For most of the current, affordable Intel rigs it is set memory speed, set multiplier and add appropriate cpu votlage and generally it is done. No FSB to really play with. Changing the equivalent of CPU_NB of AMD does very little on Intel Haswell rigs including the new DC versions. So sadly whether you run AMD or Intel, the fun or expirement is done and over way to fast without constantly cycling thru parts.

You go look at Johan45 and Mandrake and even ShrimpBrine; they are all fooling with old cheap cpus and boards for funzies. Their main rigs are tweaked and done with and been so for months. Just an FYI.
RGone...ster.

I agree with Rgone, FortunesFool. Unless you're doing "real work" with the rig I see no real reason to get a new setup. I have a 4770k/Maximus hero Z87 board and it just sits idle unless it's 3D benching. I use the Fx 8350/Chv 24/7 because I don't see any real world difference when running it over the 4770k/Hero setup.

Water cooling is fun and if you put the time in can look great in a setup. Just do the research and do it correctly the first time so you're not spending more down the road.

If you just want a new toy then go in the classifieds or Ebay and pick up a cheap Cpu and a decent Ocing motherboard and go beat the snot out of a cheap chip. It's fun to watch the magic smoke leak out of a chip that cost you $20.00.

It's all true fortune, I said the same to RGone just the other day, I spend all my time messing about with this AMD stuff and the 4770 just sits there for the most part. I will say that even if you put the 6300 under water you're not going to get Intel"like" performance out of it but you'd definately beable to increase your OC and have fun in the process.

johan has got to help with this trident x ram, ( it's been driving me bonkers) I am havving a devil of a time with this board and it.
What seems to be the sticking point there C_D ? When I had that ram in I would set a .2v offset for the system agent and both the analog and digital right under it.

man, this is leaving me soooooo on the fence.
I have the 4790k rig going and in a few hours i have all i'm ever going to get out of it.
I have sold and given away a bunch of my amd stuff to the point i am down to 1 8350, a chv-f, a ch5-f-z, 1 1090 and just closed the deal on my last, beloved 965.
my junk pile is now much smaller and i can see the floor in here once again,
BUT, intel clocking is so boring and over so quick.
I still havent the balls to ditch the last of my amd stuff even thou I know it's all over with amd, there are still buttons i haven't pushed and knobs I haven't turned............ it's just so hard to turn the last of it loose!!!!

You could always grab a Xeon hexa core and a good x58 board, add some quality ram and you have the fun back in overclocking. They are smooth CPUs that still have some jam left in them :thup:

and what about my so pretty xspc raystorm blocks, they just looked so awsome in there the little leds keeping you eyes glued to them, just nothing looks better.

yea, but do the xeons have all the buttons and knobs that amd has? the optrons don't.

freeagent said:
could always grab a Xeon hexa core and a good x58 board
That is more or less what I suggested nearly a year ago. That is the Intel socket 1366 mobo and is succeeded by the Sandy-E and Ivy-E boards socket 2011 boards. Sadly the 1366 cpus have not gone down very much. When Intel sells a $1000.00 cpu it takes a long time for the price to ever get even semi-reaonable.

But you are accurate when you say the -E boards are today just about it if you want to really fool around with overclocking. Otherwise it is only video cards and freezing arse cold that will bring about any faster speeds. And it does not take long to setup a SandyBridge, IvyBridge or the newer Hazewells. And when you get it there is nothing left. Just compute. Life in the Fast Lane.
RGone...

Last edited:
man, this is leaving me soooooo on the fence.
I have the 4790k rig going and in a few hours i have all i'm ever going to get out of it.
I have sold and given away a bunch of my amd stuff to the point i am down to 1 8350, a chv-f, a ch5-f-z, 1 1090 and just closed the deal on my last, beloved 965.
my junk pile is now much smaller and i can see the floor in here once again,
BUT, intel clocking is so boring and over so quick.
I still havent the balls to ditch the last of my amd stuff even thou I know it's all over with amd, there are still buttons i haven't pushed and knobs I haven't turned............ it's just so hard to turn the last of it loose!!!!

Yes C_D they're a bit of a let down in that department. Sure they go like a scared cat but you only have to light them once. You could always keep some of your toys for rainy days when you can't go outside to play.

Back