• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some programs for converting video

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlahsMemory

Hi all.

I just recently upgraded to the core i7. I did some testing that took me awhile to do. I wanted to figure out how to maximize cpu usage when encoding video to other formats. I used various programs that only utilized 15% or 30% max but never above that. Here is a solution that allowed me to go over 80% of cpu usage with even better quality video.

The programs you must have are:

Avidemux - this program basically splits and merges avi files.

Super- This is pretty awesome program to convert from almost any known format to any other format you would like.

mkvmerge - this utility is like avidemux which splits those big mkv files.

Divfix - this will fix most avi files that can not be recognized by windows players or avi splitters.

The way you can use super to maximize cpu usage and cut down the time spent on converting large files( 10 gigs+ ) is by splitting the file into many parts.

For instance I used a 10gig mkv file. I split it into 6 parts with mkvmerge. This took like 5 mins. Then I open 6 instances of Super and put to convert into xvid. It took me around 45 mins.to convert all six parts. If I just use the large 10 gig file it would have took 2 hours 40 minutes because it only uses 15% of the CPU.

After you get the 6 converted avi files you should use divfix to repair all of them because sometimes they have bad headers. It only took 5 mins to repair all six parts.

After that you can just use Avidemux to merge them back together. You have to open each of the video parts in order from 1 through 6. Open part 1 and then go to file-append and opened part 2 and keep appending all the other parts. Then just save the whole file and it join them back again. After around 5 minutes you will have a full single working file with great quality.

This cut my time by half and my cpu usage on the core i7 hit 75-85%. I played some games while I encoded the video and had no lag what so ever.

Just letting others know about this technique because it was ask so much around the web.

If you have any other suggestions on converting files much faster please let me know. I know that what I do sound like a lot but it really is not that much.
I converted a 10gig mkv in about 1 hour to a great quality 2gig file. It takes me 3 hours 20 mins. to convert same file on q6600 and 2 hours and 40 mins to convert the same file on i7. I found handbrake program to be faster than most others out there but this way is still much faster.

Back