• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some questions about RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok guys so first of all I decided to try and tackle this using Easytune in Windows. I took these steps...

1.PNG
Opened up EasyTune

2.PNG
Selected Quick Boost

3.PNG
Zooming in on Voltage and DDR Timings

4.PNG
Choosing my RAM to run at 1.65v

5.PNG
1.65v selected

I then clicked on "apply". I was suprised that this time I didnt have to restart my PC. I did notice however, that as soon as I clicked "apply" my screens started to flicker, whatever that is about!

I then restarted my PC just to be on the safe side, and immediately loaded CPUZ. Please see below screens.

1b.PNG
2b.PNG
3b.PNG
4b.PNG

You will notice that on "slot 2" it doesnt give the "week/year" of manufacture, could this be an issue? I can also confirm that this has not worked, as my PC has frozen once, while typing this text.

Thank you.

Guys I have just realised something else. I have 6 sticks of Corsair Dominator RAM in total. 2 gb each. I bought 3 with my first build, then about a year ago, I bought another 3. I have just realised the 2 batches of 3, have different versions! And I had mixed the versions putting them in my PC. So I have just put 2 of the same version in my PC just to test, and unfotunately, it has already froze once on me, but maybe it will not let me up my voltage without freezing...?

Yeah, not sure why you are unable to set the XMP profile from the bios. I do not recommend changing memory timings in windows. At least in my experience...

That ram is also quite old school and just may not be compatible. 99% of sticks are, but, this was made for a platform that is a few years old upon release.

UPDATE: With repeated attempts at booting with the Corsair Dominator RAM, I then remembered that I had two other sticks of RAM, Corsair XMS. They are also 1600 but run a good bit higher, at 1.80 volts. So, I tried these in the board, and immediately loaded up BIOS to see if I could set them at their specified ratings...and it worked! I was able to boot up with the specified settings. I double checked using EZTune and they were indeed now at the right settings.

Unfortunately.....my PC is still freezing, so my new question is, do you think it would be worth buying some more up to date RAM? The sticks I am currently using are 2gb each, so 4gb total, maybe thats not enough for windows 7 and thats what caused my freeze this time?

Anyway, please see below pics I took while in my bios. I have also included a screen of the XMP profiles that I talked about earlier in this thread.

rsz_capture_1.png
Adjusting the RAM in my BIOS. This pic shows the RAM at 1.165v but I changed this to the required 1.80v. The 1600 has been selected as you can see also.

Capture 2.PNG
I have all these options for my XMP. They remain the same whether I put in the Dominator or XMS RAM. I did not choose any of these settings.

Thanks.

Those aren't XMP profiles.
What you are looking at are somebody else's saved memory profiles. You bought that board used. Nobody ever cleared them. They're worthless to you. Clear them.

1.8v Vdimm will probably kill that processor too. Don't run those.

Last edited:
Exactly. Those are not XMP profiles. They are built in profiles on the board. I have never seen a board allow one to do custom profiles for memory. Some ASUS boards, the ROG series in Z87 to name one, has pre-defined profiles like your Giga. To enable the XMP profile you do not use that function.

The rated spec for your CPU is 1.35 to 1.65v for DIMMs. 1.8v is not recommended.

Last edited:
Those aren't XMP profiles.
What you are looking at are somebody else's saved memory profiles. You bought that board used. Nobody ever cleared them. They're worthless to you. Clear them.

1.8v Vdimm will probably kill that processor too. Don't run those.

The board is brand new.

So would have knowing you had 1.8v sticks before you put them in your PC... We are great here, but we cannot read minds. :p

They are built in profiles on the board. I have never seen a board allow one to do custom profiles for memory. Some ASUS boards, the ROG series in Z87 to name one, has pre-defined profiles like your Giga.
Interesting option, but worthless. In a year most all those sticks will be EOL and unavailable. Only reason I figured they were stored was because I saw Hicookies name on one. Your average joe would have no idea who the hell he was.

That and the TeamAU thing is what made me consider they were custom. They could still be. Never played with a board that has that ability.

Me either, but I suppose if you can save overclock profiles it wouldn't be that hard to institute an option to save memory profiles also.

Back