• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Somethings Burning!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edge386

I knew that would get you in here... but seriously, my cpu is running around 65c at load!!! vcore is set at 1.675 and vdimm is set at 2.7. fsb is 243. I think I may have too much thermal grease on the cpu. how much of AS5 is actually enough? i put about the size of an uncooked grain of rice on the heatspreader and less on the hsf. I didnt lap either surfaces as the Zalman cnps7000 pure copper seemed pretty smooth, but maybe i should look into it. I need some help gettin my temps down, Ill never reach 250 at these temps. Sandra reports my top cpu temp as 56, but mbm5 reports it as 65. Any ideas as to whats going on?? Also, what is the power/aux temp? is that the temp reading from the connector itself?

The power/aux temp is the second thermostat on your board. I would pull your sink and see how well the AS5 has covered up the core. Also another helper but be to increase the Zalmans fan speed to the max.

Also another helper but be to increase the Zalmans fan speed to the max.

Better yet, get rid of the zalman fanmate all together and plug the zalman strait into the mobo cpu fan header. Should be good for another 150-200rpms over what the fanmate can supply.

-Tyrinon

The "thermal compound" is to help draw the heat to the heat sink from my understanding and the fan cools it down.

Maybe you should look into a higher CFM fan rating with a 3 pin connecter, one that is the same size.

Im probably going to have to resort to getting a new fan, the heatsink is great though, hugh and is for the most party always cool (but that might mean it isnt conducting enough, i think i applied a little too much as5, that stuff is so thick its hard not to, but spreads great, not messy like cheaper stuff) Ill just plug it into the mobo w/o the fanmate, i didnt have room for the damn thing anyway, and i cant be running that thing on slow speeds if im ocing, thanks for the input everyone.

Did you say that you put AS5 onto the CPU *and* onto the heatsink?

You should put a small dab in the middle of the processor and keep the HS clean and let the AS5 do its work as you mount the heatsink.

-Chris

I honestly think it's suppose to draw heat away from the cpu because heat causes damage other than voltage.

I have it all over enough so I can't see the words:D Your heatsink is more likely to be better than my Vantec 7040 combo.

Stressing out my processor with Pc Cillin 2002, spy sweeper, adaware for 10-20 minutes and my cpu temps are under 37C
Edit: Reading using the Asus software from cd. Using all 3 at once.

Last edited:
So I should just dab the center only not the edges? I thought I applied a little too much as5 to begin with, but im not exactly sure how specific you need to be putting it on.

Tab and smear should be good enough, that's what I did anyway but the rule of thumb has always been "a thin layer".

Edge386 said:
So I should just dab the center only not the edges? I thought I applied a little too much as5 to begin with, but im not exactly sure how specific you need to be putting it on.

If it is AS 5 go to their website. They have a long instruction how to apply it. Here is the short form. Apply a rice sice dap in the middle of the cpu and set the heat zink , no spreading!!
For AS 3 it is different (spread with credit card thin layer).

Wow, god bless Artic Silver for posting a pic of the p4 cpu with the heatspreader off, now I really know what it looks like, so it makes sense to only apply that tiny dot in the center, Im going to lap my HS tonight and an comtemplating on whether or not I should lap my CPU, if I lap my CPU, what kind of foam specifically can I use to protect the pins, (what is the foam originally used for?) Thanks for the input

Back