• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound reactive LEDs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zim2411

Is there a way to add sound reactive LEDs to a lighted fan? I would like a way for it to plus into one of the ports on my sound card, monitor and react to that, while still being able to listen to music and stuff.

Is it possible? The fan i have is here; http://www.xoxide.com/quadledblu12.html

I dunno the size or wattages or stuff like that of the LEDs.

you could do it. it would just depend how dedicated you are. you could alawys get a mcu with adc in it and then have it output a pattern based on the voltage read by the adc or have one that has adc/dac in it and have it change brightness according to the voltage it reads. there might be an agalog circuit. you could alawys modify a vu meter to ligh the leds and use some resistors to limit the current and change the brightness. there are a whole lot of things you could do. but most of them would require a mcu and a custom program

or simply get the sound activated module for a cold cathode, and wire the leds onto it. its output is 12v, simply adjust with resistors, and it should work out nicely. i believe frozencpu sells sound activated modules seperatley, although its probably more fun to make one yourself:p

granted i have never played with ccfl lamps but i was under the impression that the sound activated module hooked up to the ccfl directly so its 12v --> sound module --> ccfl lamp

if thats how it goes then you should know it takes a few hundred volts to drive a ccfl lamp and that is created using an inverter.

but if its 12v --> sound module --> 12v --> ccfl inverter --> ccfl lamp

then it would work.

good suggestion

depends on the sound module and the ccfl:) the sunbeam module and the one sold at frozencpu (picture is the sunbeam module, but actual product is something else) are both 12v in, and 12v out.

I got 2 sound activated cathodes from xoxide in blue, and it's AWESOME.

I higly recommend them.

Ben721 said:
I got 2 sound activated cathodes from xoxide in blue, and it's AWESOME.

I higly recommend them.

Congrats on not reading the thread. lets all clap for ben721!

but yea the Vu meter is a good idea. i made a few of thoses for some speakers i made a while ago.... id give it a try

Back