• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sp-94 running at 43°c idle!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
clocker2 said:
Neeseius,
I beg to differ.
temps.jpg

These temps are from an Asus board with a clocked 2600+.
Room ambient was in the 19-21c range.
Mostly idling, but a few rounds of Folding.

Very little is impossible....

Yeah... so what kinda cooling was that? water? as I said thats only achievable with water cooling.

As far as im aware clocker2 has an all air cooled rig at the moment - hes one of the foremost experts in specific case modification for air cooling in the forums IMO.
Take his & arch's cooling words as truth...

ok I will change it, how about this.... Its impossible for 99.9% of us out there to achieve nething below 30c with air cooling. And obviously im sure clocker2 has done a lot to get those temps, for one I dont know what 22c ambient equals out to in degrees F, but im sure its very cold, and most people dont wanna have to wear a snow suite whenever they play the computer, and two, if you've achieved those temps it was probably made possible my ducting no? maybe running a tube from the window to the cases intake? Just wondering since i have thought about doing that myself, but I live in AZ so I'd run the tube from my AC vent.

Neeseius said:
Your temps are perfect, thats all I can say. You will notice ppl that post ridiculous temps usually have Abit boards, which of course arent accurate, and for some reason ppl believe the temps these Abit boards are telling them. You will also notice ppl with Asus and Lanparty boards like yourself, post accurate believable temps, unless they are 12 years old and want to lie to everyone and tell ppl they are getting 32c idle and 35c load temps, i could leave my finger on the processor if that were true, its just plain bull.
YOur temps are fine trust me

Actually Asus are not very accurate. I have an A7N8X with a mobile 2500 & SLK800 running at around 30/36 idle (diode/socket) 38/40 load. I actually have a SS where it's idling at 21C, but case temp is 18C so it might actually be close to realistic. But you are correct, alot of the temps are inaccurate, but not because of the user. Some programs will read the sensors differently also I have found. And of course the temps will vary between motherboards. My MSI will read different temps based on the revision of the bios. They adjusted the temp sensor because people were complaining about such high temps. It was actually reading the diode inside the processor and was probably close to correct but to make people happy they chopped off about 10-15C on the reading and viola! people are happy. A good rule of thumb is to just base your temps on difference of the case temp and not actually idle/load temps. If you just sit around and stare at your temperatures all day you will go nuts, so don't put alot of stock into it.

Yeah... so what kinda cooling was that? water? as I said thats only achievable with water cooling.
Air only actually, but I'm flattered.
ok I will change it, how about this.... Its impossible for 99.9% of us out there to achieve nething below 30c with air cooling. And obviously im sure clocker2 has done a lot to get those temps, for one I dont know what 22c ambient equals out to in degrees F, but im sure its very cold, and most people dont wanna have to wear a snow suite whenever they play the computer
You're right, Clocker has gone to a lot of trouble to get these sorts of temps,but not the way you prolly think.
BTW, 22c =71.6F...hardly snow suit weather.

if you've achieved those temps it was probably made possible my ducting no? maybe running a tube from the window to the cases intake? Just wondering since i have thought about doing that myself, but I live in AZ so I'd run the tube from my AC vent.
Ah... actually, no again. No ducts, tubes, open panels, refridgerators or animals of any kind were employed in this production. Of course, as with any air-cooled rig, Sprocket is sensitive to/reacts with rises in ambient temp...why right now, in the heat of the afternoon ( high 80's today), her diode temp has skyrocketed all the way up to 25C...sometimes 26C.
Oh dear.

Okay, enough of this silliness.
Neeseius, I certainly don't mean for this to become a ****ing contest...the point here is to respond to/assist MagjickMan, right?
MM,
Your reported temps won't kill you or your computer, but yes, they could be better.
I don't think that they will improve however, until you roll up your sleeves and get into the guts of your PC and start trying things out.
There is no substitute for experimenting...and the inevitable failures that attend it.
It'll take a while, but you can get it right.

Now go get dirty.

I have 2 x 80mm in front <--Intake?
2 x 80mm stealth intake blowholes on top <--Want as exhaust(Hot air rises, and hence the temp 'blowhole' :p)
1 x rear 120 intake <--Want as exhaust
1 x side 80mm intake <--Good
2 x 80mm psu exhaust <--Good

yeah i already changed those fans around and my temps fell about 3 degrees but right at the moment it is 26 case and 38 cpu so that is good but
thnx for all the responses.

~Magick_Man~

*edit* yes the front 80's are intake

yeah clocker2 i have to agree, my temps arent just going to go down
i have to jack with stuff, and tweak things to get it just right.
BTW about how much of a drop could i expect when my as5 fully sets up?

Thnx, ~Magick_Man~

Judging from my experience, the use of AS5 is good for a drop of maybe 1-2c over the stock AMD TIM or the white goop supplied by Zalman.
I haven't seen any appreciable drop in temp as my last application approaches the 200hr. mark.

Neeseius said:
I dont know what 22c ambient equals out to in degrees F, but im sure its very cold, and most people dont wanna have to wear a snow suite whenever they play the computer
Hey, 22°C is pretty warm to me! My room is currently 16°C(about 64°F) and its not cold at all, all i'm wearing is a t-shirt. Its nice and cool.

Hey, 22°C is pretty warm to me! My room is currently 16°C(about 64°F) and its not cold at all, all i'm wearing is a t-shirt. Its nice and cool.

crazy northerners :p it gets below 72 we get chilly here hahah.

err wait england... crazy easterners heheh jk :)

On my P4, right now MBM5 is reporting the following:

Case: 26C
CPU: 27C
Hard Drive 1 (36GB Raptor): 24C
Hard Drive 2 (160GB Maxtor): 22C

Thats with a SP-94 with a Panny H1BX, 3 120mm NMB Tech case fans (2 intake, 1 exhaust) in a Antec 3700BQE case. vCore is 1.60v bios/1.65v real

The fans are controlled by a Hardcano 12 and the temp probes on it are reporting the following:

Base of SP-94: 25.0C
In front of one intake fan (room temp): 20.0C
On memory (no heat spreaders - attached directly to one chip): 29.3C
GPU Heatsink: 24.0C

So...draw your own conclusions :D

Last edited:
dang my room like never drops below 28°c and that is with the ac on high
its usually about 32-34°c
(stupid texas)
i am thinking about putting a 156 or 226 watt pelt to drop my temps to below ambient
who knows well see

Thnx, ~Magick_Man~

yeah my first multiple page thread:D

yeah your ambient temps have a direct effect on your cpu and case temps, to the point almost where one C ambient will increase the cpu one C. if you are running that high ambient i doubt you will get your temps down much. also try to not let the case be in an area that has no flow around it (ie case under desk or in cubby hole or in a corner where there is no venilation). if you have a two story house and the second floor is hotter than the first like any home in the south, you are probably out of luck. you can try using a floor fan to move air around the case some to help.

well the problem with a bottom fan is i have this computer sitting on a carpet floor and any air that came in would be all dust

and yes i live on the second floor of our house and it is in texas so it is pretty warm all year round

Thnx, ~Magick_Man~

Sounds like you need to dig a celler to make a computer room..Free cooling..In the cooler months, seal off the heat register,open the windows,and seal your door..Works for me..Can you insulate the attic better above your room..:)

Don't complain, my watercooling leaves me @ 40c idle and 54c large load... and im watercooled :-o) even tho this is Abit-monitored... i suspect 10c less that it says at *least*

~t0m

i might be able to insulate the attic beside my room (the slope of the roof comes about halfway up my wall) and it is completely un insulated prolly not the top of my room tho
ill see what i can do

Thnx, ~Magick_Man~

Hey magic have you tried switching your hs fan around trying it blowing on the hs and sucking off of it? I find that my slk-800 likes the air to be pulled away from it usually about 2c cooler that way.

Back