• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Space between RAM and heatsink fan... should I be concerned ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Furieux

Registered
Hi guys,

here's my setup MOBO/RAM

Mobo : M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 (link)
RAM : G.Skills Ripjaws 2 x 4 gb F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL (link)

I'm planning to buy either :

Cooler Master Hyper 212 (26.99)
120 x 79.7 x 158.5 (L x W x H)

or

Zalman CNPS10X
(34.99)
132 x 100 x 152 (L x W x H)

My main concern is to know if there will be an issue with the fact that my RAM have heatspreader. I just don't want to loose a RAM slot because my cooling unit is too big.

So my question is : Is there any of view that had problem with the height of their RAM while installing a cooling unit ? Do you think I'll have problem installing my heatsink and fan with my current setup ?

Should I be concern with RAM clearance while buying one of these 2 heatsinks ?

Heatsinks are generally designed to go over normal height RAM. The Ripjaws you linked will probably fit fine under either of those.

I have the 212+ and the ripjaws in a microatx ASUS board. Make sure to install the fans first, then the ram. The ram doesn't sit under the fan, it sits right next to it, pretty much. The zalman is a waste of money unless noise is your concern.

The Zalman cooler is nothing special but not a bad cooler either. I think you will get more bang from the buck with the hyper 212+. Make sure you get the hyper 212+ and not the older hyper 212.

Back