• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

speaker recommendation for desktop pc using a receiver

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Klipsch speakers generally don't lack detail, but can be "shouty" with the wrong electronics. My girlfriend's rig has a couple small Klipsch satellites and a little subwoofer at the moment, but it works pretty well.

Klipsch speakers generally don't lack detail, but can be "shouty" with the wrong electronics. My girlfriend's rig has a couple small Klipsch satellites and a little subwoofer at the moment, but it works pretty well.

they aren't bad by any means. the sub is excessive most of the time, even turned all the way down it was still boomy. they weren't shouty with the receiver. maybe it's the added bit of bass that fills in the audio more.

my other rig is still using the other set of klipsch 2.1 setup i had. allbeit on that one i opened it up and unhooked the sub. i don't mind some bass but the klipsch sub is just too punchy even turned all the way down.

Polk site lists 'em for $195. 50-27KHz and a 5yr warranty. Those are very nice for a system. You will want a sub too.

Polk site lists 'em for $195. 50-27KHz and a 5yr warranty. Those are very nice for a system. You will want a sub too.

i bet those sound great, i have their t15's for rear surrounds. of course im partial because my entire surround sound is polk, besides my woofers lol. but for a desktop setup i bet they have enough bass to satisfy most. if not polk's 10" sub is about a hundy and sounds pretty good... im just a bass nut is why i went custom built. (think shaking the couch watching a Michael Bay movie)

I'm looking for a speaker setup that includes a decent bass in the speakers themselves. I don't want to put together a system that is over powering on the bass though.

That is quite subjective which you will likely have to go listen and see for yourself. One man's boom is another man's not enough... and vice versa.

Haha, fair enough. But there are some people like me, so I was hoping they would understand my desires :)

There are, but, you don't know if their too much is too much for you.... is the point there. ;)

That said, I would think, for a PC, 5" drivers flat to 50 Hz would be good enough, but... I would just take some suggestions and see if you can listen to them. You can always lower the bass remember, but can't as easily add it. ;)

These sound very good for the price https://www.parts-express.com/pioneer-sp-bs22lr-4-andrew-jones-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--250-656 but you'll probably end up wanting a sub woofer. (which is likely to be true regardless of the what you get at this size). I paired them with an 8" sub woofer from PE for my daughter and she loves them,and it's worth noting she grew up with my audio gear (Paradigm floorstanders, good Marantz Class A amp and SACD player, Music Hall turntable with tube amp).

These have a good reputation, also https://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-DV62si-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B00006JPDI With the rear facing port you can extend the bass somewhat by moving them back closer to a wall.

Also not bad https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00018Q4GA/ref=psdc_3236451011_t3_B00006JPDI Unported, but again, the bass can be extended placing them in corner locations to take advantage of the first order reflections. That will extend the low end, at the cost of some mid bass clarity.

If you can't listen before you buy, make sure your purchase point has a pain free return policy, just in case. Speakers can be very good and have great reviews, but if you don't care for the sound they produce, they're worthless to you, and that is very subjective.

That is quite subjective which you will likely have to go listen and see for yourself. One man's boom is another man's not enough... and vice versa.

exactly im pumping about a KW total into a 12" sub in a custom made transmission line enclosure + a 10" sub.... and i still don't feel like its enough, even though it knocks pictures off my walls lmao.

Hmmmm I may just grab a bunch at once, and listen to all of them over a weekend and than decide. What's Amazon's return policy on this?

Hmmmm I may just grab a bunch at once, and listen to all of them over a weekend and than decide. What's Amazon's return policy on this?

if its within the 30 day window or what ever you just gotta click the return button (generally) and schedule a pickup, soon as the truck picks up the package you have your reimbursement usually in the form of a gift card, though you can get it put back on your credit card i believe, but i think theres more of a delay that way.

Although, I'm not sure how ethical that would be. lol

Last edited:
Yep I grabbed 4 speakers, all with return policys that explicitly state that you can return New after testing. I think these sellers are all very aware of what people do. I got a few of them arriving tomorrow so I'll be starting my testing this weekend if I have the time.

exactly im pumping about a KW total into a 12" sub in a custom made transmission line enclosure + a 10" sub.... and i still don't feel like its enough, even though it knocks pictures off my walls lmao.

You're not listening to the music if you can't feel it.

So y'all were right... these speakers need a bass lol

Back