• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

speedfan config help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrsteve0924

Cubed Beef Stew Member
trying to get speedfan to not control gpu fans. cant seem to make that happen no matter how i configure it.

i should be able to do this right?

mobo: gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
graphics: XFX R7 370

I just went through and configured speedfan on my 5960X/980Ti build, and got it working well despite the quirks. I am using MSI Afterburner to control the GPU fan, but speedfan for my front, rear, and top fans. You have to sort through all the erroneous sensor readings and find the one you're looking for, in my case I had to only scan over the ISA bus and disable the SMBus, then use one of the CPU core temperature readings adjusted by about 8 degrees to get a good reading. The all the other tweaking for each controller and fan and all that, but I still got it to be effective for my purposes on a very recent build. Like I said I don't even have the option to control GPU fan speed with my MSI 980ti, but I like Afterburner for doing that.

Sounds like a lot of effort for an old application. Why not use the mobo's software at that point, or the BIOS for that matter?

I have installed ASUS's AI Suite and subsequently uninstalled it at least twice, I just can't stand it. I like the control in the UEFI, but I've experienced issues with that where like my rear fan will jut ramp up to 100% for no reason, or in one case my top fans on my AIO cooler never ramped up when the CPU got warm, it was getting pretty hot and wasn't responding. I updated the UEFI and still had the same issues, so I turned to speedfan

Sounds like a lot of effort for an old application. Why not use the mobo's software at that point, or the BIOS for that matter?

that's what i finally did. i forgot about gigabyte's easy tune. did the job for the cpu fan

Back