• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SP's AMD build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your HT speed is below stock. 2.6ghz..... Drop the NB speed instead.

I thought it was best to keep them the same?
I was trying to keep NB high 'cause I hear it's a good way to get more preformance...

Drop the NB or get it running at 2.6 Ghz?

Had to drop the clocks to 4.6, heat was too much.
Ignore the 79C socket temps, loading Chrome + running Prime blend makes lots of heat!
Highest socket temps running prime was 74C, and 62C package. Vcore should be able to drop one more notch. :)

New_4.6.PNG

Yea no kidding about cpu voltage. Your way way to high up. 1.55v should net 5ghz.

Speed = more heat regardless of cpu voltage used. More voltage creates more heat regardless of speed used. Product of ill returns.....

The chip in my sig runs 4.7ghz at 1.416v under load. Yea it's stock for the processor, but to give an idea where voltage should be..... well under 1.5v IMHO.

Definately start lowering vcore.

Yea no kidding about cpu voltage. Your way way to high up. 1.55v should net 5ghz.

Speed = more heat regardless of cpu voltage used. More voltage creates more heat regardless of speed used. Product of ill returns.....

The chip in my sig runs 4.7ghz at 1.416v under load. Yea it's stock for the processor, but to give an idea where voltage should be..... well under 1.5v IMHO.

Definately start lowering vcore.

Really?
Okay here's what I'll do.

Clear CMOS after I write down my values, and try multiplier only overclocking to find the Vcore.
IIRC, this is the voltage that gets me 4.7 Ghz stable.

Odd I found because Austin got this chip to 5Ghz with 1.520 Vcore.
Then again, he has AIO + big fan over everything.
:D

image_id_1368244.jpeg

I don't have that luxury :(
Lemme see what happens.

Lol, love teh desktop fan. Very nice little touch.

Where's my blower fan at?? That's what you need. Real cfm. 1500 cfm and you'll screw the case to teh desktop lolz!!

Lol, love teh desktop fan. Very nice little touch.

Where's my blower fan at?? That's what you need. Real cfm. 1500 cfm and you'll screw the case to teh desktop lolz!!

Heh out works great for cooling the VRM and such while benching!
Especially since I can just stick it in the window when it's cold outside to bring better air to the board/rad :)
And if benching 3D I can just turn the stand so the fan blows into the GPU as well :attn:

Yeah, that'll cool it Scotty! :D :clap:

It's just not taking kindly to the lover Vcore.
1.504 volts makes for a BSOD upon starting prime.

Here's what I've found so far:

Vcore | PLL
------------------
1.504 | 2.535 --> System freeze @ P95 start
1.504 | 2.7 --> BSOD @ P95 start
1.504 | 2.8 --> BSOD 30 sec into P95
1.536 | 2.7 --> Dropped worker 1min into P95

What's the safe max for PLL? Anyone know?
I was scared to try any higher than 2.8. I can go up to 3.17 in the BIOS.

Austin got this chip up to 5Ghz+ but needs Vcores above 1.5 to do so, and I'm not sure if they were Prime stable, or just quick bench stable.
See here -> http://url.hwbot.org/15u3PwI

I had it sitting at 4.8GHz mostly when it was in my main desktop, but don't remember the vCore.

The recent runs were bench stable, not Prime

That processor has what I like to call "The Cold Touch".

What I mean by that is, once a cpu experiences cold or chilled, it likes it and wants to stay that way.

Try some trickery. Turn off 2 of 6 cores and see if the OC climbs a bit. You say worker 5 fails..... turn it off then. Get into questions like, what Can this puppy do with Lower TDP output and how can I get some cooler temps temporarily just to have some benching fun.

Then there's the FX-9590..... why even overclock this one? It's already running fast as heck, hates heat, hates low v-core, hates 25x multi at anything under 1.5250v, big demand on the VRM section......

The FX-6 series act very much like their bigger brother 8 cores. Not sure why.... but the heat output is almost the same. In example, If I shut down only two cores on the sig rig, temps aren't really any better unless I shut down 4 of 8 cores. The it runs cooler, 5ghz stable is much much easier to come by and it's stable as need be. Game all night, Prime95 no issues, all while running pretty much stock NB and HT speeds while bumping Ram up to 2400.

However there's such little difference between 4.7ghz and 5ghz for a daily rig, 4.5ghz from 4.6ghz too hot will yield the same effects for daily use even gaming.

Never the less I'm having a great time following this thread. I would manage to say your 6 core looks to clock average, with a little tad higher than need be v-core. This could be from being spoiled with cold temps and big clocks. 5.4ghz and 1.664v, I'd guesstimate Austin's Room temps to be very low considering he mentioned the window was open in the dead of winter.

One suggestion for fun and games is to find an old AC unit at a garage sale for cheap. Take the front panel off and gently pull the evaporator out and put some fans on it blowing at you system. That will mimic winter like air and ultimately cool the room as well. You just need to vent the condenser heat outside.

But if this IS a daily rig, I wouldn't go pushing overclock and voltage more than required to just sit back and enjoy. Partly the reason you don't see me brag about running 5.1ghz on my main rig. I can. It gets hot. Requires more power draw than I need to use. I sit back we'll say 75% of the time at stock. And boy 4.7ghz with 5ghz turbo is nothing to sneeze at. I just don't have the desire to beat on expensive parts like that. Very much the reason why you'll see my super cold runs hitting (my max so far) of 7800mhz. I didn't get the validation, but man she was there! FX-8300 + M5A78L mobo FTW. The board dies, oh no... lost 50 bucks. No big deal.

I had it sitting at 4.8GHz mostly when it was in my main desktop, but don't remember the vCore.

The recent runs were bench stable, not Prime

Ahh. That would explain why I need more Vcore then. :)
Currently testing Minecraft with the setting above, though with less Vcore and more PLL this time.
Prime will be next.

@shrimp
Thanks for that read up. :)

I'll shut down 2 cores and let us know what happens.
These 6 cores.... are they not 8xxx FX's with 2 cores disabled permanently?

Shrimpy, this one was never run lower than ~20°C ambient. All runs earlier this month were too warm outside for me to cool it more.

Upped Vcore to match the previous screenshot, and shut off 2 cores.

~5-7C difference (Chrome heated it up more, thus 75C socket)

Vcore.PNG

After dinner, I'll drop the volts, and if it's cool enough, raise the multi or FSB again! :D
Literally spent 2 days overclocking this setup, and I'm loving every minute of it. Awesome!

Stable, but not quite?

Very strange issue.
I was running prime and all was fine, no dropped workers, nothing then BAM! Prime 95 crashes??

Screenshot of temps and speeds:
Vcore is 1.536 while stressing.

Shutting down 2 cores is really helping getting a higher OC!
stable, but....PNG

Voltages are:
2.75 PLL
1.65 RAM
1.2 NB
1.210 HT Link
1.810 PCIe /NB voltage(?) stock voltage btw.
1.325 CPU NB v
1.536 Vcore

Maybe my NB voltage is too low?

I usually find with prime that if i lose a worker, I'm close to stability, if it just hardlocks or bluescreens I have a ways to go.

so what is your cpu vdda voltage and ram vddr voltage? they should be cpu vdda= around 2.50-2.54 and dram vddr should= 1.2-1.25.

so what is your cpu vdda voltage and ram vddr voltage? they should be cpu vdda= around 2.50-2.54 and dram vddr should= 1.2-1.25.

Vdda = PLL right?
If so, 2.75 volts.
In most cases for me, higher PLL = lower Vcore or more stable on lower vcore.

Vddr? not a clue what that is... let me check.

If it helps, I passed a 15 min OCCT stress and a 15 min OCCT:Linpack stress..

if your fsb = 240 then cpu vdda is much to high you should be able to run about 300 fsb at 2.75.

if your fsb = 240 then cpu vdda is much to high you should be able to run about 300 fsb at 2.75.
300FSB?
Jeeze, I'd need a bunch of CPU NB v I guarantee it!
I'll set it back to stock, 2.53 volts.

I'm also reading that it helps keep the vcore stable under load, kinda like LLC but not. :confused:
All I know is that it helps with my OC lol

Last edited:
Back