• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SP's AMD build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Found a fan, so I'll go an mod my case for it now :)

I have a question too.
I'm getting graphic artifacts now..
Downclocking does not help either, and it doesn't happen at stock CPU clocks IIRC.

Could this be related to the CPU overclock?
Perhaps up voltage somewhere?

What Psu?
EVGA 850 G the actual review model straight from Oklahoma Wolf!
Not likely to be the CPU.

Well, I switched the GPU's around, the 270x is in the bottom x4 slot.
I'll let you know if it happens again.

Okay some pics!

Cut out the hole...
IMG_20150403_134929[1].jpg

Fits great over the socket!
IMG_20150403_135326[1].jpg

And some temps.
New_Temps.PNG

And just as I uploaded those pics, Worker#5 dropped again.
Seems the 5th core is weak, as it's almost always the first to drop. Lemme bump the vcore up a notch.

Well you have plenty of power SP maybe a driver issue or lack of stability on the OC. I've seen funnier things happen when my Oc isn't stable.

Depends on the chip Blaylock, my Fx 8350 needs 1.3875 Cpu Nb v just to be able to run my ram at 1866 Mhz. That's with the rest of the setup at stock settings.
I run 1.35v on every single chip I've had in this board. When you get up over 1.4v 24/7 it's time to start thinking about that.

Temps are just a few C below 62 and 70C ... Fan might need adjusting, I feel air being blown back through the fan. Too close to the boards me thinks.

For now though, I'm going to tinker with FSB then the NB.

Bro your sig is a hot mess, sorry haha.

replacing xfire for a 970? o_O don't think you;d get much gain out of that personally.

Yeah.... Ought to find a way to clean it up.
Too bad spoilers aren't allowed.

X-fire?
Only for skyrim which I barely play now....

Otherwise, X-fire is disabled - it reduces the PPD in folding at home.
For all but skyrim, I game on the 7850. 270x folds all day.

Ah I forgot you're into that.
:D

The old 3570K rig will be folding 24/7 once I get the parts for it.
Also have the old i5 2300 rig waiting for folding duty :salute:

Dunno, I just love folding. It's like, maybe $400/yr to fold all day?
Not bad I'd say. :)

Is there a point where you increse the FSB but don't get any more preformance?

I got 245 FSB working last night, but worker #3 dropped, but the others went on for 7 hours prime stable... (sorry, no screenshot forgot)
Temps did get high though (82 socket, ~72 package), so I backed down to 240 FSB and reduced some voltage.

Generally speaking, on AMD systems, a blend of FSB and multiplier overclocking achieves the best results. My recommendation would be to drop your memory multiplier by 1, and then boosting the FSB to run the memory at your desired speed, and then see how far you can go with the CPU multiplier. 240 on the FSB is pretty good, you should have plenty of room to bring that memory right back up to where you want it.

You may not get a higher overclock, but you'll get a similar one with less vcore required (normally). Just watch all of your other frequencies, things start to get pretty crazy when you mess with the FSB, and there's a lot to watch.

If I'm not mistaken, these FX chips can run 300_+ reference clock.

Your loosing stability at the Package or Core temp...... 62c is a little up there, while your cpu socket temps looks great!

Generally speaking, on AMD systems, a blend of FSB and multiplier overclocking achieves the best results. My recommendation would be to drop your memory multiplier by 1, and then boosting the FSB to run the memory at your desired speed, and then see how far you can go with the CPU multiplier. 240 on the FSB is pretty good, you should have plenty of room to bring that memory right back up to where you want it.

You may not get a higher overclock, but you'll get a similar one with less vcore required (normally). Just watch all of your other frequencies, things start to get pretty crazy when you mess with the FSB, and there's a lot to watch.

If I'm not mistaken, these FX chips can run 300_+ reference clock.

Your loosing stability at the Package or Core temp...... 62c is a little up there, while your cpu socket temps looks great!
Agreed on both accounts.

SP test the fsb by dropping the other multi's ie Ram, NB Freq and Ht link. See how far you can push it so you know when you're limited by the FSB. At some point either the board, cpu or Ram will limit you but only testing will let you know. This is what makes the AMD chips fun....You get to play with everything. :D

Yes. As soon as a worker fails that's instability. So to find out what is unstable I like to start with the least beneficial, HT link. Drop that multi, if it still fails drop the NB. If it fails again and your still under that earlier determined stable cpu oc then it the ram. Drop your ram a notch. If it passes then bring the others back up.

Something to note: high temps can and will cause instability. Just because you find the peak stable over clock in April doesn't mean it'll still be good in July when ma nature turns on the oven.

Agreed on both accounts.

SP test the fsb by dropping the other multi's ie Ram, NB Freq and Ht link. See how far you can push it so you know when you're limited by the FSB. At some point either the board, cpu or Ram will limit you but only testing will let you know. This is what makes the AMD chips fun....You get to play with everything. :D
:D
I'm already having a blast!
This FX beats the snot out of OC'ing an Intel anyday. It just responds better. And no stupid WHEA errors LOL

For FSB, I need to touch the CPU NB v and maybe NB volts right? Nothing else? (Hope so, that's what I've been doing lol)

Yes. As soon as a worker fails that's instability. So to find out what is unstable I like to start with the least beneficial, HT link. Drop that multi, if it still fails drop the NB. If it fails again and your still under that earlier determined stable cpu oc then it the ram. Drop your ram a notch. If it passes then bring the others back up.

Something to note: high temps can and will cause instability. Just because you find the peak stable over clock in April doesn't mean it'll still be good in July when ma nature turns on the oven.

Good point. I was wondering how this will hold up in summer :-/
I'll drop the HT link if I see instability again. Though TBH I think I had a voltage too low. I bumped the CPU NB v, NB, and Vcore up 2 notches, and all is golden right now.

I'm working on reducing the voltages now. Here's what I'm working with:
New_4.7.PNG

As you can see, temps are outrageous.
Volts are:
Vcore: 1.586 BIOS, 1.552 - 1.6 actual
CPU NB: 1.35
NB: 1.2
RAM: 1.65
CPU/ HT/ NB Link: 1.810 (stock)
and the other one, i forget lol but it's stock, 1.210.

I'll reduce voltages till I'm unstable, write down the overclock, then reset BIOS and do FSB testing.
Sound right?

Back