• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spyware Challenge! You Got The Guts There, Nerd Master!?!? (free Prize Inside)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
now, what the REAL challenge would be, get people to get ALOT of spyware, and then see who can get it ALL off their computer, without Re-formatting, using Deep freeze, or a image copy of their HDD.

now, THAT would be a challenge.

but then how can you take em ALL out if your computer wont function with all that spyware lol? even worse gettin ur bios infected, boot sector infected, or even your router can get infected from my experiences...

well daniel_dynasty, Thats why its called a Challenge.

hehe, i'm glad thats not part of the Stipulation.

but it would be kinda cool, if someone decided to try this.

say, the of the contest, or 2nd place person, decides to also see if they can Get rid of it all. just for fun. If they can't, thats why they either re-format, or use a program like deep Freeze.

yeah but if there was a contest like that you can jus reformat and make it look like u didnt so its kinda unstable for a contest.

I just tried this.

i only got 15 cos i had to stop when my dialup connection was overtaken by preimum rate dialer. I ain't paying any £1.50 a minute.

i think i'll try again after i get ADSL in 3 days

well, the programs they use to clean their spyware, when they are cleaning it, every so often, they take Screen shots. and post them.

i wish i had an extra computer, so i could do this to it. If i did, i would have so much spyware on that thing, hehe.

but this contest does sound fun.

The easiest way is to look up pron, but, when you have a brother, 2 girls, and parants all in the house, its not the best idea to look up pron ( even though i am 20 ) just wouldn't be a good idea at the moment.

Spybot Search and Destroy has a couple other immunization functions that Spywareblaster misses too. Both are good programs, though Spywareblaster definitely gets the majority of the protection done.

i dealt with comps that have had alot on them. i have had to deal with some pretty wicked ones that if you leave one bit of it somewhere it reinstalls itself.
edit: im in. how long do we have?

Sweet! :) I'd do this if I a) wasn't quite so paranoid with my computer, b) could make backups of my hd (problem thread here :p), and c) couldn't change my rank already :D

...Mabey I should find another computer to infect... That way it solves all but the very last problem ;)
JigPu

Any rank that fits inside the forum guidelines and that doesn't already have a negative precedent set for it - The banned rank is no longer being given out AFAIK as it causes confusion for members (though I think I see them hanging around every now and then). Anyways, you've got to win before you get to change it. :beer:

Jigpu, install a trial of Deepfreeze - it is top-notch software, and will let you compete here without any worries. Its heavily used in the education sector, and also used by many prominent corporations (google uses it, many others also). No excuses! ;)

*IMOG disables all protection in spywareblaster, leaves firefox and fires up IE... Time to get on the hunt!

Hey IMOG, i'm having problems with the Deep freeze thing.

I sign up to get the Trial of it. But i never get an E-mail from them with a user name and password so i can download it.

I signed up HOURS ago. and i still got nothing from them.

Is this normal?

or am i doing something wrong?

Do you get a thank you page notifying you that an email was dispatched to your account, with a link to the login page? I did with firefox .9.3. It was in my gmail box almost instantly.

I do know that their support is nice, so if you send an email to one of their representatives I would expect them to get back to you. I have spoken with Monica Perez for work purposes previously, and she was very helpful - she is in the corporate and government division however, so I do not know who the contact is for the private/home sector.

If you want to send an email to their general support people, I am sure they will help you.. The address is

support -=- at -=- faronics -=- dot -=- com

/change subject

BTW: Stay away from "fun web projects" - its worse than spyware, it will drop a trojan onto your machine (AVG caught it instantly in my temp files) :)

Last edited:
ok, i got it this time.

it wouldn't send to my hotmail account for some reason, so this time, i told it to send to my Gmail account, and Gmail got it INSTANTLY.

I.M.O.G. said:
Jigpu, install a trial of Deepfreeze - it is top-notch software, and will let you compete here without any worries. Its heavily used in the education sector, and also used by many prominent corporations (google uses it, many others also). No excuses! ;)
Meh, I know how good deepfreeze is (my school used it :D), but I'm still too anal with my system ;)

I think I may fire up a VMWare session or something though since I have it from making my custom XP bootdisk... Spyware, here I come! :D
JigPu

Awesome, more victims!

Ending Date: Last entries accepted on October 1st until 12 midnight EDT. Winner will be announced soon thereafter.

Well, I tried it and failed. I infected my PC to the point where I could no longer access Adaware. I tried for about an hour too. Sigh...I just gave it up and let DeepFreeze do its magic. :)

Yeah, I'm finding that dial up just can't cut it on the spyware scene, not in any short term scenario atleast. Going to have to give this a shot at school.... Need to install freeware, the stuff that makes 100's of spyware registry entries with a single install... pron trackers and cookies and stuff might take forever to put up any respectable numbers.

Back