• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD arriving...need help transferring my OS to it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

ok, so my SSD wasn't supposed to arrive before Christmas, but I guess Amazon got them in stock early. Whats the best way to transfer all the data from my current boot drive to my new SSD drive?

If you bought the right model of Crucial M4 you can use the migration tool they included...

Hope you got it for $154 on sale a few days ago!

SnapShot can do the transfer. If your present drive is larger you will have to first shrink the partition and then transfer.

Thanks...I got the drive for $263 including next day shipping and it came with a $130 MIR from Amazon

I use Paragon Migrate OS to SSD. It allows you to move a larger mechanical drive to a smaller SSD drive. Which entails omitting stuff for transfer.

Of all the software I've used. This seems to be the easiest and simplest.

I use Paragon Migrate OS to SSD. It allows you to move a larger mechanical drive to a smaller SSD drive. Which entails omitting stuff for transfer.

got your PM and I should be online

Are there disadvantages to just making an image file of the mechanical drive OS partition and then simply reimaging the SSD partition with it?

Which entails omitting stuff for transfer.
What was "omitted"?

Are there disadvantages to just making an image file of the mechanical drive OS partition and then simply reimaging the SSD partition with it?

The SSD will not have the offsets (partition alignment) it needs. He'll have to come back and do some fancy technical stuff to get it proper.

What was "omitted"?
With normal HD clone software. It makes a 1:1 clone. Then moves it over to the new device.
The software I suggested. You can pick what files are not included for the cloning process. Which can be nifty. Omitting files from a larger drive space to smaller drive space clone migration.

Last edited:
The SSD will not have the offsets (partition alignment) it needs. He'll have to come back and do some fancy technical stuff to get it proper.

With normal HD clone software. It makes a 1:1 clone. Then moves it over to the new device.
The software I suggested. You can pick what files are not included for the cloning process. Which can be nifty. Omitting files from a larger drive space to smaller drive space clone migration.

OK. Of course whichever easier way you have - go for that one! :) But for the record:

1. Use Win7 or Vista DOS to format SSD, not WinXP. So if startup Win7 DVD or USB were used to format then install Win7 on drive C (or partition C), offsets will be correct. To check them, do this:

DOS:

diskpart
list disk
select disk #
list partition

For better performance, partition offset should be 1024 KB or any number that can be multiplied with a whole number to get 4096.

2. If drive image contains data you don't want imaged onto the SSD, other than simply deleting it after reimaging it onto SSD, you can mount the image and only restore the files you choose onto the SSD. Perhaps you would go through all this trouble if the entire image cannot fit if you include non Windows OS data files?

Well...I migrated my entire OS to the SSD, and it appears to have gone smoothly.

What I'm concerned with his that the Windows Experience Index only gave the drive a 6.9 score.Is this normal?

9pHGd.png

The one and only purpose of that Index is to make you go out and buy hardware you do not need.

It is not an accurate measurement of the quality or value of your system. Do not look at it except for entertainment purposes. Now pass the word on to all your friends and cousins. ;)

My mechanical drive is not faster than my SSD drive no matter what Windows Experience Index says.

Repeat that before every meal then come back in a week for a follow-up. :D

okie dokie

Paragon Migrate OS to SSD did the job, did it well, and was super easy to use!!!

Was the part of your concern it deleting data resolved? Or did you end up imaging?

It was resolved...Paragon Migration software formatted the SSD and then copied every file from my C drive to the SSD, then assign the SSd the C drive letter...all i had to do after that was change the boot drive in my BIOS.....Paragon did everything else for me...it was so simple!

Back