• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD arriving...need help transferring my OS to it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I changed those registry values to 0, but still got the same BSOD error

Hmm that worked when I needed to switch my parents' PC to ahci. Just to be clear, you have to boot into windows with the previous bios setting, change the registey key, then shut down and enter the bios, change the mode to ahci and reboot.

Yeah...before installing the SSD I saved most of my important files, so I just saved the rest of my important files to another drive and re-installed a fresh copy of Win7. I'm just doing Win Updates now and then I'll install all my programs and hopefully the SSD benchmarks higher.

Appreciate all the help you guys have been!

well im hanging out to dry from PM, let the program do its thing. nothing happens, the bios is setup to use he windows boot manager, i have to assume that is the problem. as even telling it to use the drive directly it doesnt boot into win7. i gave up, i just have to track down my 64bit dvd now, ran PM 3 times thinking i did something wrong. wrote 210gbs to the 120gig for nothing... :(

Format SSD under Win7/Vista. Then image it from the mechanical drive making sure that the SSD partition is set to be the System Active partition.

Whenever imaging OS partitions, before booting with the new drive, DISCONNECT EVERY OTHER DRIVE. Only have the new drive connected and it will boot if its partition is System Active.

Attachments

• SystemActive.png
    SystemActive.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 52
hmm interesting the comments when PM was done didnt cover this. though i have had it as the only drive on start up for the first time and still have the following problem. i will try one more time, one thing i can not do is kill the 100mb EFI partition.

maybe because im in IDE mode the OCZ tool box can not find the drive....

Well, I finished the full install and re-installed all my programs and did updates. I disconnected all the other drives prior to formatting the new SSD and installing a fresh copy of Windows 7x64. AHCI is now enabled.

The good news is that my WEI score for my hard drive transfer rate bumped up to 7.7(and the read/write rates are closer to advertised, though still 20-25Mb per sec slower than advertised).

The bad news is my CPU is now my low score coming in at 7.5. While I was saving all my important files I came across a screenshot of a Super PI 1M calculation score from when I was running on an Intel E8400 dual core processor(@ 3Ghz), and it scored 10.375 seconds. My Athlon 955 Black quad core running at 4.1 Ghz score 16.860 seconds---which baffles me because I thought I upgraded when I went to a quad-core from a dual core.

"Multi cores" means it can assign multiple cores to multiple tasks. Single tasks will be performed and measured by how good the individual core is, regardless of number of other cores, unless individual programs can take advantage of multiple cores. Large percentage of all programs cannot take advantage of multiple cores. But multiple cores are good for multi tasking - performing multiple individual tasks.

WEI are like certain kids at school, you know those morons who don't know what's life's about or what's important in life? And so whatever "kids in school" say is not how things work in life.

Your system is just fine. Real life performance and specs are two different things. Your system is performing as it should in real life no matter what kids at school say. You stay away from that WEI window, you hear? :D

"Multi cores" means it can assign multiple cores to multiple tasks. Single tasks will be performed and measured by how good the individual core is, regardless of number of other cores, unless individual programs can take advantage of multiple cores. Large percentage of all programs cannot take advantage of multiple cores. But multiple cores are good for multi tasking - performing multiple individual tasks.

WEI are like certain kids at school, you know those morons who don't know what's life's about or what's important in life? And so whatever "kids in school" say is not how things work in life.

Your system is just fine. Real life performance and specs are two different things. Your system is performing as it should in real life no matter what kids at school say. You stay away from that WEI window, you hear? :D

LOL...ok

BTW, does anyone know of a good website or resource that can tell me which Windows Services are safe to turn off to improve performance? Also...how do I turn off the Windows feature that asks permission every time I try to open an executable(even though I uncheck the box every time)?

Format SSD under Win7/Vista. Then image it from the mechanical drive making sure that the SSD partition is set to be the System Active partition.

Whenever imaging OS partitions, before booting with the new drive, DISCONNECT EVERY OTHER DRIVE. Only have the new drive connected and it will boot if its partition is System Active.

well the formatting got done, so mark it as active before or after the i use the software. as it is right now the option to mark it as active is not there.

Well I don't know about software because all I did was just use Norton Ghost. You can use Acronis or other programs, freeware programs, I don't know which ones are out there.

I use relatively small partitions as OS partitions, I do not put large programs or Applications on the OS partition so my drive image files are relatively small. I just used those same drive to image files image SSD instead of my OS partition on my mechanical drive.

Then the only thing I needed to make sure is to disconnect all other hard drives and boot once with SSD and only then connect other drives, making sure boot priority was correctly set in BIOS after I connected other drives.

I have to admit. I am sort of surprised how many are still using IDE mode with SATA machines. I was basing my suggestions for software. On the concept most are using AHCI mode. I would of made different choices. Offering what action to take, if I knew this.. Next time, I will include asking about that.

@ HeatM1ser2K4 - Grab ATTO and it will show the speeds in a different way. You'll see the graph of what your drive is doing in terms of speeds. I think your dirve and machine are running ok. Let it sit for a time. Play around with the new drive. I will link you to some information about trimming unneeded services later.

@ Evilsizer. Past the help c6 is helping you with. I am researching your issue and seeing what my experience, can come up with. I have a few things I have to do around the home. I will get on it a tiny bit later. Hopefully we can (all) nail this issue down.

i actually did try it yet EW, i think im going to have track down my DVD for win7. as it would then make it 296gb total writen to it within this short period of time. if you do figure something out LMK and i may change my mind. i actually couldnt recall using AHCI or not but i thought i was but was never able to burn any DVD/CD's in that mode. which is why (pretty sure) still use IDE mode on my main rig. do need to head back over to get that rig though for my apt, then i can make sure if it is IDE or AHCI. the burning discs may have actually been when i was running raid-0 with the two 60gig agility's.

BTW, does anyone know of a good website or resource that can tell me which Windows Services are safe to turn off to improve performance?

I used these two since Windows 9x days to control what starts up with the system:
http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

I don't know if they work with 64-Bit Windows, but they sure still work on my Win7 32-Bit. I'm gonna need to find a bunch of programs that can do what the old programs did once I switch to 64-Bit when Windows 8 comes out.

Also...how do I turn off the Windows feature that asks permission every time I try to open an executable(even though I uncheck the box every time)?

[Get rid of Open File - Security Warning]:
Start Menu > Run > gpedit.msc > User Configuration > Administrative Templates >
Windows Components > Attachment Manager >
In the right pane, double click on 'Inclusion list for moderate risk file types' > Enabled > Under 'Inclusion list for moderate risk file types' > *.* > OK
Do the same for 'Inclusion list for low risk file types'

[Get rid of Open File - Security Warning for downloaded files]:
Scroll up and set "Do not preserve zone information in file attachments" to Enabled

Then also

Start Menu > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Internet Options > Security TAB > Custom Level > scroll down under Miscellaneous > Launching Applications and Unsafe Files (not secure) > Enable (not secure) > OK > Yes > OK

Internet Explorer will then display a huge warning screen: Your security setting level puts your computer at risk. To get rid of it: Start > Run… > gpedit.msc > User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > click on Internet Explorer then in the right pane double click on "Turn Off the Security Settings Check feature" > Enabled > OK

Open File - Security Warning may still appear for files downloaded earlier. Those files need to be stripped of alternate data streams using streams.exe program
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897440.aspx
from DOS: streams.exe -d -s <directory path>

i actually did try it yet EW, i think im going to have track down my DVD for win7. as it would then make it 296gb total writen to it within this short period of time. if you do figure something out LMK and i may change my mind. i actually couldnt recall using AHCI or not but i thought i was but was never able to burn any DVD/CD's in that mode. which is why (pretty sure) still use IDE mode on my main rig. do need to head back over to get that rig though for my apt, then i can make sure if it is IDE or AHCI. the burning discs may have actually been when i was running raid-0 with the two 60gig agility's.

It's tough going from IDE to ACHI after Windows is in. Very few pull it off without an issue of some sort. I've looked into it some more, past experience. It is usually faster and easier to just save your important settings/files/data and do a re-install.

If you have the energy and extra time. Yeah having the machine there to check with would help.

Just keep in mind. We will be here when you're ready to get it going and physically check everything. Having a different approach by c6 helps a lot. More than one angle to see and correct the issue. Even if we disagree on which way to go. I respect his knowledge and experience. He is a tinkerer from way back. It shows, with the help he gives.

I suspect a couple of things. But testing with the hardware will help a bunch. Having a spare ROM will also help. In case you still encounter the ROM usage issue in ACHI mode. If you leave it in IDE mode. You will take a hit in performance. Hence why I just assumed everyone in the thread was using AHCI mode in the first place..
Once we get some basic things out of the way. We can start finding out if it is a funky firmware issue or a conflict in a setting and such.

Last edited:
yea wolf, i tried different things when redoing the PM software you recommended. eve n formatted the drive just using windows, pulling my hair out. i gave up, lol

Something strange has been happening ever since I installed the SSD yesterday. My computer randomly shuts off and wont turn back on unless i turn the power to the PSU off and wait a few seconds. Even then I usually have to turn the PSU off and on a few times before the computer will boot. Often, when it does start to power up it will display an 0xc00000e9 error code. One time it shut off just from plugging in a USB headset, and a few times it shut off just from a tiny tap on the case. I'm confused. Anyone have any suggestions?

sounds like a grounding issue to me or there could be something going on with the psu. i would isolate the PSU first by taking it out of the case and seeing what happens when you tap on the case, etc.

I found a small puncture in the tubing of my WC loop at the CPU, and it dripped onto my mobo and my video card.....I've cleaned it up and now things seem to be back to normal...but time will tell. Actually...my system is running at 35 degrees Celcius under max load while Playing Rift...and only went up to 37 at one point---so my system is now running about 10 degrees cooler than normal....so maybe I had a puncture for a while and didnt realize it....time will tell.

Here are my latest SSD benchmark scores---much better than the previous ones!
Pj53U.jpg.png

Last edited:
Paragon is a charged tool, you will cost around $30, I find a free migration tool: AOMEI Partition Assistant 5.0 Home Edition, it provides a wizard to migrate OS to SSD, easy and use.

Back