• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD RAID Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peperonikiller

Registered
Right now I have 3 OCZ Vertex 30Gb SSD's in RAID 0 that I'm using for my OS. My question is are 3 really any noticebly faster then just 2 in RAID. I really don't notice any difference and the only reason while I'm still running 3 is to have the 90Gb of OS storage.

I'm thinking it would be best to just have 2 in raid and use the other ssd for something else.. but I just don't know.

Three ssd's would be faster in raid 0. You can run ATTO bench 32 to determine speeds.
I only use 2 30 gbs vertex turbos for operating systems. Raid 0 ssd's do not support trim.

All depends on your motherboards chipset. Ive got 2x30gb OCZ Vertex turbos in Raid0 and I am NOT saturating ICH10R's bandwidth. I could easily add 1 more from some of the benches I have seen with a perfectly linear performance increase.

Most (if any) RAID's do not support TRIM. So stripping 2 drives generally decreases drives after their first write. 3 drives may generally provide marginal improvements, but a lack of TRIM on RAID has been a major issue with SSD's

I have not heard of ANY raid controllers that support Trim:(

Raid 0 TRIM

It is my understanding that Tech Connect issued a correction that Intel does not support trim in raid 0. I have Intels Rapid Storage Technology Program and can find no Trim support in raid 0. Correct me if I'm wrong!

same here no trim on my intel rapid tech. Then again I am using 2 corsair nova 64gb in raid 0. great for data/games. Use the ocz vertex 2 as my main os drive.

all 3 drives show 100 health.

It is my understanding that if the vertex ssd is upgraded to firmware 1.60 it has auto garbage collection in raid 0. You can flash vertex ssd's to upgrade them to turbo.

hum though ther vertex has better 4k read and writes than 2 novas in raid. so raiding all 3 would not be good or would it?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh other on overclock.net have said since the ocz vertex 2 faster read and write it would make more sense to keep the ocz vertex 2 as the main os.

So now I am hearing different oh my so its better to merge 2 slower ssd's with a faster ssd and raid them into raid 0?

if I get 2 more votes I will do this tonight LOL, im bored and the gal is watching HOUSE which I hate with a passion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will eventually hit the chipset bandwidth wall. From what I understand at the time of the LGA1156 socket set, Intel was not able to handle the full bandwidth to the PCI-E 2.0 slots. And from what I understand, they where not using the south bridge to reach the PCI-E slots. So (from what I have read) you will eventually max out the south bridge's bandwidth (as Bakoda's said).

I hear mixed results from the earlier raid "Garbage Collection" that was going on. Don't mind me if I feel a bit skeptical on the ability for it too know what is deleted and what is not.

I thought that article was talking about a specific RAID solution, like that found on most motherboards, and not what is found in OCZ drives, but I maybe wrong. It does specifically say "Rapid Storage Technology". From what Intel states, The Rapid Storage Technology is the new name for the Intel Matrix Motherboard Hardware (or what ever you want to call it) technology.

FYI i just raided 1 ocz vertex 2 with 2 corsairs nova 64 and saw read speeds up to 525 and writes of 210, Real life performance for daily use none, and for games saw no improvement over using just the ocz vertex 2.

I say do it if you want to see big numbers in synthetic benches but real life not worth raiding 3 ssd's and to loose trim well no good.

It is my understanding that Tech Connect issued a correction that Intel does not support trim in raid 0. I have Intels Rapid Storage Technology Program and can find no Trim support in raid 0. Correct me if I'm wrong!

You're correct forbin, Intel and Tech Connect recalled their statement.

Only thing working on SSD RAID's is Garbage Collection

From everything I have seen, a drive with TRIM support will not see any improvement in real life results through RAID-0 on 2 drives. Performance tests have shown "Garbage collection" in real life seems to not work nearly as well as TRIM, but if you have drives that do not support TRIM, then you would see real life improvements by raiding them. I guess there will be improvements on reads, but writes will suffer greatly.

If I am not mistaken, The problem lies in the fact that the OS can not tell the drive when something is deleted or when it is in use. Deleting a file is not erasing it from the drive, it simply removes the pointers to the file. TRIM offers the information to the drive that the file is deleted and thus it can be erased. Without clearing the memory, additional WRITES will suffer.

I have seen some very exaggerate numbers on some of these devices, especially the PCI-E cards that offer such extreme performance numbers. Hopefully the RAID developers can get their act together and start supporting TRIM. Then we may see some really staggering PCI-E and RAID drive performance numbers that will make SSD something amazing.

I know a lot of people raid their SSDs but I really don't see the reason since my 120SSDs rip and I have AHCI,NCQ, and TRIM. The only + I see for raiding them is to increase storage. And that's a give and take.

I know a lot of people raid their SSDs but I really don't see the reason since my 120SSDs rip and I have AHCI,NCQ, and TRIM. The only + I see for raiding them is to increase storage. And that's a give and take.

Um, speed. It's a pretty simple reason.

Back