• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD - Should I.....?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CaNsA

Rig spec in sig.

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L160M0 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s - O/S Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 250-GB Hard Drive - Storage
Samsung EcoGreen HD103SI 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache 5400RPM - Storage

And i have just realised i have my O/S on the slowest drive *facepalm*

Anyways, Corsair 120GB Force GT SSD.

Deffo a "need" and not a "want".
Never a want, ever

opinions/problems/issues?

Cheers

Should you...................... get that specfic drive? That is a good drive... so is the OCZ Vertex 3, and Crucial M4. choose your poison IMO.

Just make sure your mobo has INTEL SATA3(6GB) ports and not the marvell or the drives will be neutered a bit on the slower marvell controller.

Having gone from a 7200 rpm drive to an SSD in my main machine (laptop) quite recently, I'd say it's about the best upgrade I've every performed to any machine I've ever owned. If you have the cash and want to go SSD, I can't think of a reason not to.

I'm with David on this , without a shadow of doubt the best thing you could do to a pc is get a ssd if for only the fast boot times, if like me you turn your pc on then go and make a coffee/tea and leave it to boot , now it's turn it on and get comfy for literally 10 seconds while it boots , best upgrade EVER period (can you guess I like ssd's)

Just ordered a 128GB Crucial m4 for 140 quid, with TCB and Quidco should work out to be about £100.

I wonder if both TCB and Quidco can be claimed......

Just ordered a 128GB Crucial m4 for 140 quid, with TCB and Quidco should work out to be about £100.

I wonder if both TCB and Quidco can be claimed......

I shouldn't think so - it will depend whose tracking cookie the website finds.

On both sites it shows i have visited the site where i purchased it from.
Ill let you know in a couple of days.

Bonus if both pay out, but I got AA cover through TCB and it took 6 months for them to pay up gggrrrrr but I also bought a laptop from tesco through them and they payed up within a week so hopefully you will get a fast payout

I'm with David on this , without a shadow of doubt the best thing you could do to a pc is get a ssd if for only the fast boot times, if like me you turn your pc on then go and make a coffee/tea and leave it to boot , now it's turn it on and get comfy for literally 10 seconds while it boots , best upgrade EVER period (can you guess I like ssd's)

I see so many saying "it'll only help your boot time, Not really any big benefit to your system, you might as well just buy a regular". (just in case, im reffering to a group of people, and not you since you are not saying it, that way)

That is very untrue. If you take advantage of a SSD. you get a really fast boot time. But if you install all your applications (like Acrobat reader / itunes / 3d programs and the like) they'll also boot a hell of a lot faster. Overall when going into your "pictures" or "video's" folder. all thumbails load instantly. The system will feel faster overall.

There is so much more in a SSD than a fast boot time. So it annoys me to hell (im sorry the hard way i say it) to read over and over again, That the only thing you get out of a SSD is a fast boot time. and this seems to be the generalisations that the majority (especially those who never owned one) seems to say to everyone. If you ever seen someone saying it only helps boot time. Hes a poor guy who couldent afford one and are just trying to justify that it wasent neccesary to get a good system. and im sorry to say, But a SSD system (even with a older CPU) will kick the *** out of any new I7 with a normal HDD, because it is the true Bottleneck on systems today (kick the *** out = System responsiveness - Application boot times - Boot time)

Over & out hehe

Last edited:
Yes

Mechanical hard drives spin. SSD do not.

Think of an auto/cycle wheel and the valve stem. The tire needs some air added or let out. For normal operation. Sure you are transgressed by the valve itself and source of air.. Where the advantage is. Not having to spin the wheel to get to the valve. It is always ready to add or remove air.

It uses much less energy and resulting heat accessing data. SDD is very efficient compared to mechanical 20th century tech.. So it makes it a sensible upgrade.

Back