• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD's and 2009

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
Right now even with Intel being out in front with these two SSD's, X25-M and X25-E. as you can see or those that dont know the 80gig MLC X25-M use to be $600ish. since newer ssd drives have come out to challenge Intel. Such as the OCZ Solid OCZSSD2-1SLD60G and SUPER TALENT MasterDrive OX FTM64GL25H and G.SKILL FM-25S2S-64GB, but that isn't then end of it yet. OCZ has announced some new drives for 2009, starting with the Vertex line for January. For those that missed the thread here about the announcement you can read about it here and can read some discussion about it here. Now what is interesting is this thread here, then what Tony says here and then here. Using Froogle shows a few retailer's with pages up already for the Vertex line, here is just on retailer listing two drives, OCZ OCZSSD2-1VTX30G and OCZ OCZSSD2-1VTX60G. The prices may seem high for some but considering that these are nipping at the heals of Intel's SSD's, they are very competitive for the price. With out knowing the Apex's prices right now i would have to say going with the Solid line out now might be a better choice to the cost. Though in that case you would need twice the drives to match/beat one of the Vertex drives. Of course you would wind up with twice the space in a raid 0 config. With all this happening OCZ is pushing for faster/better SSD's as is Intel. The big thing as Tony said in one of the threads i linked to, they no longer use the Jmicron controller. They have also increase the cache the drive has to further increase perfomance, as the links to ZZF show its 32mb of cache. which now matches the larger mechanical hard drives for sale. 2009 is truely going to be the year for SSD's, wiether you want it to be or not. :p Size,speed will continue to increase as well as prices decreasing per/gig. The few reviews i have been able to find of OCZ Solid 30gig drive give it good praises and they report no stuttering issue. Well that is good but now we have another problem. Most may not know/realize this but Sata II or 3.0 Gbit/s isn't going to be enough for future SSD's. right now it already is a problem for the highend drives like the X25-M/X25-E. As you notice both have the same max read speed, wonder why? According to the SATA II/3.0 Gbit/s spec max transfer rate is 300MB/s. That is if we follow the chart shown here by following that chart. Then take into account SATA-IO group is working on the SATA-III/ 6 Gbit/s, that would then give us 600MB/s speeds. Who is to say that Intel's drives arent being held back by SATA II in read speed, what if its really higher? One way to really find out would be to use a raid on a pcie slot. What i found interesting was how much faster PCIE is for sending data vs SATA. A x1 PCIE 1.0 is just under the SATA II spec speed as seen here in this PCIE chart. Now im not a big fan of wiki for different reasons but since you have to be member of the groups to get spec pdf's this will have to due in this case. now as you see by the chart PCIE 1.0 x1 = 250MB/s, then x1 PCIE 2.0 = 500MB/s. I'm intrigued as to why we don't use a direct PCIE interface with just a sata connector. That then allows the future hd's to tap into more pcie lanes for higher transfer rates vs needing a new SATA standard. It makes more sense to me to do it that way but the powers that be deem it otherwise. Also look at how intel's i7 has more direct access to the PCIE buss since the IO is on the cpu. How much faster will this make the drives? Could access times on them drop even more? has anyone seen the or read this review on the Fusion IO Drive it doesn't use SATA a connection but the PCIE buss. As you can see on page 7 of that review how much faster the access time is vs Intel's SSD. I mean 3 times faster all because of the PCIE buss, then people notice you can't use it as a boot drive. Not possible since it doesn't have a SATA or USB port. The mobo/bios has no way to boot directly from a PCIE device such as the Fusion-IO. Fusion-IO is still interesting none the less but right now its not going to be a option for the public unless you just have $2k+ laying around to blow.

OCZ is going a good thing here IMO with there 3 different segmented SSD's. You have the high-end Vertex the mid-range/mainstream Apex and the low-end Solid. While the solid may not look impressive to some vs the Vertex and Apex line. It will be the choice of many that simply a more snappier pc without having to upgrade a new cpu. People just needing basic computing will not need high write or read speeds. I hope we see more diverse SSD lines from other manufactures. This will only help to gain market share that will drive the cost/gig down even more. It works with PC's, why wouldn't it work with SSD's? In 2009 don't leave off SSD's from computer buying list.

I think a big issue that you glanced over by linking Tony's posts, but didn't mention explicitly, is proper OS integration. Personally I will wait for windows i7, which has been stated will be designed to work better with SSD, till I buy. Sure you can fix some of the issues with Tony's methods but unfortunately SSD just doesn't play well with windows core elements. In the end for these drives to succeed they need to just work and be affordable however they are far from that point currently. Sure SLC works a lot better beyond extra speed but it is far to expensive even looking forward to 2009, on the other hand MLC drives seem to be having tons of issues that keep surfacing.

Basically Im going to hold off on SSD until windows works better with SSD from the ground up rather then the other way around. By that time MLC drives should be better designed specifically with controllers that allow more parallel access.

Last edited:
boss,
yea i was getting ready to leave and didnt have time to link to the registry edits that OCZ suggests. since they were talking about the prefetching being enabled by windows xp by default which does cause some of the issues. yes i do look for to windows 7 for that reason that it is suppose to pick up on SSD or mechanical HD. i read something the other day, i think on OCZ's forums. On MS releasing either a patch or including it in a SP for vista to improve SSD handling OS level.

Shig,
yea so was i, but i have read varing things that don't add up. One site posted that you had to buy them already on the board. another one say that if they bought atom cpu they had to buy the chipset as well. even if they had to buy the chipset just to get the atom cpu. i would have paid extra to get a better chipset with Atom for sure. what can i say though, i'm a Atom fan...

Would be nice to see affordable non-stuttering MLC drives in the 120GB capacity in 2009. I can't deal with 30GB, 60GB is livable but 120GB is what I would like to start with.

Let's just hope they do release their Vertex line cheaper considerably than Intel's X series.

well if the pricing structure stays the same the 120gig vertex should be under $500. compared to intel's X25-M that is a deal, i mean 80gig for $499 currently. even with 20gigs less the VTX-60G i listed is half the price. imo Apex is going to be where its at for us... already has raid 0 setup internally on top using a raid card :drool:

btw older drives even SLC stuttered, it isnt just MLC.

One other thing about Intel's drives are the durability, Techreport's review of the drives goes in to good detail on this. Manufacturers tend not to include enough info to get a really good idea on the different statistics though. For the lifetime of the drives it's not a big deal for desktop use but it is an advantage in enterprise use where a drive might be getting hammered 24/7 and that's what Intel has targeted especially with the -E.

When I can get ~250GB for <$200 which is roughly Raptor 300GB pricing I'll bite as long as random writes are as good as reads. That's a good combo of sufficient space and cost to me. Flash tends to go down in price/capacity by 75% per year with capacity doubling and price halving adding up to 1/4 the price for the same size. That's just for pure cheap flash like thumb drives, these drives have some additional cost but not a ton. So it looks like I'll be getting one in early 2010, by then I'm sure the random write issues will be worked out across the board and Vista/Win7 will be patched for SSDs.

yea MM your right the only one that gives really detailed info about durability is SuperTalent. now your making me check OCZ to see what they provide...
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/flash_drives/ocz_solid_series_sata_ii_2_5-ssd
hmm well nothing like ST's where its rated at 50GB write/day then how many years it would last. IMO that is the way to sell SSD's, as ST's number show the larger the size the longer they last, as seen here.

well imma have a 30 OCZ solid SSD by next week for my atom box. gonna do some testing with it and if i can manage i will also get a ST OX 32gig to compare it to as well as the current seagate 80gig 7200.2 2.5in lappy drive.

i found this to be a interesting read.

Last edited:
well if the pricing structure stays the same the 120gig vertex should be under $500. compared to intel's X25-M that is a deal, i mean 80gig for $499 currently. even with 20gigs less the VTX-60G i listed is half the price. imo Apex is going to be where its at for us... already has raid 0 setup internally on top using a raid card :drool:

btw older drives even SLC stuttered, it isnt just MLC.

I don't think it's an actual RAID card, isn't it just 2 jmicron controllers working together? In which case, i'm not sure that the stuttering would be resolved.

KN,
if you read above the new SSD's from OCZ are no longer using jmicon controllers. tony is under NDA since the product Apex and Vertex are not retail yet, the date for retail is in january. from what has been said the apex has two controllers for writing to the NAND. then by what ever chip that does the raid, dunno,gotta wait for the date to get more info.

One thing that's silly about SSDs is the warranty length. so many companies have lifetime warranty on their RAM but not even 3 year let alone 5 or more on their SSD? It's pretty bad if they don't even match mechanical drives warranty when reliability is supposed to be one of the advantages. Also, 3.5" form factor would be nice, it might even allow them to use cheaper less dense flash if the controller chips can handle more chips, maybe we'll see those once the price/GB drops.

Last edited:
KN,
if you read above the new SSD's from OCZ are no longer using jmicon controllers. tony is under NDA since the product Apex and Vertex are not retail yet, the date for retail is in january. from what has been said the apex has two controllers for writing to the NAND. then by what ever chip that does the raid, dunno,gotta wait for the date to get more info.

I believe that I read somewhere that the Apex will use 2 Jmicron's. I know the Vertex is not to be using the Jmicron's.

the apex is jmicron. though if you run a hardware controller, these might be the ticket, $/performance wise. i just wish that the vertex was out (newegg/zipzoomfly/at the $129 price. second week of jan. looks to be the eta for normal stock here in the states). i just installed the win7 beta 1, and was hoping to have them by now to see if there indeed were a few os optimizations...can't wait

Back