• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stability Issue - Machine Check Exception

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

subconcept

I am also getting machine check exception errors on my computer. Not sure what is causing it. I have found that Adobe Acrobat (just opening it) causes my system to lock up and then display this error but there have been other instances where it has occured so it is not specific to that application.

This has been affecting me for months but finally I want to put in the effort to fix this before school starts and I loose work! I recall a few months earlier running memtest86 for a few errors and getting no errors, but I could try that again if you all think that might be one of the major issues?

Just some background info on the system

Abit AN8 Ultra, AMD x2 3800+, 2 x 512 pc3200 OCZ premier series, Sapphire x700, 300 GB SATA Maxtor, 2 x 80 GB IDE, Enermax noisetaker 480 watt

I am running everything at stock speeds/voltages etc.

If anyone could help shed some lite on what might be causing this stability issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Well as I mentioned it is not just pdf's. Random stuff will make the compter lockup and display the Machine Check Exception. I am just not sure what could be causing the instability. The other day I sent some stuff to my printer and it locked up for example.

Also a freeware PDF reader is not an option since I am graphic designer I rely heavily on Adobe Acrobat Pro.

Edit: I should also note I have tried reinstalling XP Pro and the service packs to see if it was just a bad install, but the same issues occur.

That is definitely the error I am getting. I hope nothing is messed with my processor, going to double check the temps and voltages now, maybe that will provide more info to go by.

I did try memtest a few months ago with both sticks in and left it on for a few hours with no errors. Should I run it with just one stick at a time, and how long is a respectable time to make a confident judgement that the ram is ok if I don't get any errors?

Okay here are some stats:

CPU - Running normal at stock 2000 mhz

Voltages:

CPU - 1.350v
DDR SDRAM - 2.6v
nForce4 - 1.5v
HyperTransport - 1.20v
+12v - 12.27v
+5v - 5.24v
+3.3v - 3.39v
5VSB - 5.18v

Temps:

CPU - 52 cel
Sys - 37
PSU - 43

(I understand these may be a little on the hot side, but I experienced the exact same problems during the winter when the temps were much lower)

ok your voltages look fine.

Temps on the CPU could be better, but as long as it doesnt spike higher than that, you should be ok. Might add some new paste if you got it.

I would run memtest for a couple hours, 1-2ish. I must admit I am unfamiliar with memtest so good luck! But you could also run it overnight if you want to do further testing.

Thanks, just started memtest on one stick. Going to leave that going for a few hours.

Also I booted into windows on each stick (by itself) and was able to get the system to lock up both times within 1 or 2 minutes. Would it be pretty unusual to have 2 bad ram modules if this was the case.

I am starting to think it might be a problem with the cpu or motherboard.

I was getting this problem a few days ago on my system, just appeared out of nowhere. I was getting a yellow bang in the system tray saying that Check Event reported a corrected error or something like that. I have reason to believe that a dying motherboard was the culprit, but I'll know for sure in a couple of days.

Thanks for the info.

I actually slightly upped my voltages last night and got some signs that it was running more stable, so I put both sticks in and ran the Orthos stress test. It when 8 hours, passing all the tests, I was pretty happy at that point until I opened my browser and it froze...

Even though you reinstalled the OS, if you had bad ram during the install, it could have corrupted the OS. If uping the voltage makes you believe that it is more stable, then reinstall the OS to make sure.

Back