• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stacking fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

morinfen

Registered
hi, i'm new here.

since stacking fans on top of each other aren't supposed to work, how about "stacking" them as a cube on top of a rectangular heatsink, all blowing inwards? would that work or would that cause the fans trouble due to the pressure from other fans?
any thoughts?

here's a crude representation of how i plan it to be. the air will exit to the side of the fins of heat sink
6419na.png.jpg

I would recommend pulling air AWAY from the heatsink with one pushing air towards it.

6419na.png

Edit: I am still not sure of the orientation of this heatsink, what model is it?

Check out ehume's fan tests on the NH-D14. Having fans working against each other doesn't work well. The pressure between them rises (or falls if they both suck air out) which slows the fans down so you get less airflow. The two fans on the sides should go in the same direction.
This is what gave me the best cooling. All fans on the heatsink blow in the same direction and adding the one blowing at a right angle improved temps a lot.
900x600px-LL-05dc62d2_IMG_0078.jpeg

are the fans at right angles blowing on the same direction too? i'm having trouble looking for a cooler with more than 4 heat pipes from where i am though.

I'm not an aeronautical engineer but looking at the last pictures you posted it looks like you might end up with some turbulence.

Back