• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starfield PC Performance Tested: Your GPU isn't ready...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Improving Starfield CPU Performance: DLSS 3, CPU Optimization, Best Settings & Min-Spec Testing

I only wonder why there is so much noise about a game that barely anyone was waiting for and those who did, could expect a typical Bethesda scenario with multiple bugs and performance issues. Every time is the same story.

I only wonder why there is so much noise about a game that barely anyone was waiting for and those who did, could expect a typical Bethesda scenario with multiple bugs and performance issues. Every time is the same story.
Mostly because even though it's riddled with problems, pretty much all the reviewers are giving it 7/10+ (especially after coming out just after Baldur's Gate, an actual good game), I assume it's making people wonder just how much they've been paid 😝

Little more seriously though, I honestly think the game has potencial, but it needs A LOT of changes and tweaking/optimization...

Whole lot of talk from someone that hasn't played the game.

Granted, I am not a fan largely of the Bethesda RPG, but doesn't seem super useful to compare when he hasn't played it.

I'll try it for "free" with my PC gamepass with microsoft reward points.

Maybe we exist in different gaming interest circles but I feel it was widely anticipated, possibly one of the biggest releases of the year. Personally I was hoping for a fresh take on a ship focused game, but the first person shooter parts are not of interest to me so I'm passing.

I thought this was the number one on Steam (Before it even releases fully)..Out seating BG3....

In any case my copy unlocks in 4 minutes so I'll be away for a month or so...bye bye :beer:

Look at my game, PUBG, still holding on.... :rock:

I see Starfield is up there day 1, but still can't beat out a 5 year old 'dieing' game?? I dint think steam count consoles in those numbers ever (how?) So it is what it is for PC. Starfield fully releases to the public today, so I expect that to jump up. Will be interesting to see the numbers tomorrow.

Edit: bet is passes PUBG.. lol

Edit 2: it was released last night in the us at 8P ET.

Last edited:
I did about two and a half hours last night basically still the tutorial and it's great it reminds me of Oblivion more than fallout. I don't know why that is but I loved both of them and Skyrim too.
Playing on an RTX 3080 no crashes.. they have a really good help section so you can figure out all the key bindings and anything else you need.

The game helps you a little bit in the tutorial but basically you have to know how to turn the flashlight on if you need it... And I didn't quite grasp the flight controls so I'm going to plug my Xbox controller and just switch over to that for flight. I like that you can still put trash cans over NPC's heads and then pretty much rob them blind. Lol

The analysis we've been waiting for:

Edit:
The tldw

XSX is roughly equal to PC medium setting.
Modded DLSS is better looking than FSR2 (no surprises there).
It is optimised for AMD. 6800XT is much faster than 3080, and it can have negative scaling with threads on Intel compared to helping on AMD.
Open question how much is on dev side vs access to game. Can nvidia polish their driver more? Intel didn't seem to get the game until early access which is obviously very late in the day.

Last edited:
The analysis we've been waiting for:

Edit:
The tldw

XSX is roughly equal to PC medium setting.
Modded DLSS is better looking than FSR2 (no surprises there).
It is optimised for AMD. 6800XT is much faster than 3080, and it can have negative scaling with threads on Intel compared to helping on AMD.
Open question how much is on dev side vs access to game. Can nvidia polish their driver more? Intel didn't seem to get the game until early access which is obviously very late in the day.

Going to give the settings a shot. With my 3080 at 4K [it defaulted to ultra] I was getting 20FPS in the first minute or so. Turned on v-sync and the game crashed. Will have to try again later. Working on getting some mods installed like DLSS and such also.

Also: From any screenshots/videos of the game, I wouldn't ever say that Starfield was a "looker" so hopefully the up-ressed textures in the below video improve that.

Back