• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starfield PC Performance Tested: Your GPU isn't ready...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Also: From any screenshots/videos of the game, I wouldn't ever say that Starfield was a "looker" so hopefully the up-ressed textures in the below video improve that.
It isn't, this reminds me of the Mass Effect Andromeda launch. Hell, most parts of that game still beat this one by a mile now, so I honestly don't know how people can hype this so much based on looks... And yes, I understand that this is YET ANOTHER crappy console port, but they really screwed the pooch on this one with performance, I haven't seen anything in the game yet that warrants this low fps and high CPU usage :chair:

Thanks for the link, I think this is the fastest I've seen the community get down to work on a game :rofl:

Still don't understand what the drama is with pronouns, they've been around since the bloody language was invented...

So far it's running great on the 6800xt. Sometimes FPS dips into the high 40s but is mostly in the 80s-90s, and when it does dip it's still very smooth/playable (with freesync). Not getting any micro-stuttering that would indicate inconsistent frame times.

I think I used the 6800/1440p settings here: https://www.sportskeeda.com/gaming-...aphics-settings-amd-radeon-rx-6800-rx-6800-xt

I'm still changing things slowly back to normal after all of my issues, so I think getting XMP re-enabled will be at the top of my priorities next. I'll probably watch the GN video at some point, but it's been an okay experience so far.

My only problem is the same with all Bethesda RPGs, I'm trying to do one task, then I get distracted (ooh I should go pay my mortgage at that bank), then ooh I should hack that ATM, then I'm on another quest. I like to be able to cross things off a list and find it stressful when the list keeps getting bigger, and I get diverted from that goal. I'm trying not to worry too much about this dialogue or that choice, and just play through for fun. It's probably good to practice relaxing and being less goal oriented at times, but did I really need a video game to promote personal growth (if that's what this is lol).

My only problem is the same with all Bethesda RPGs, I'm trying to do one task, then I get distracted (ooh I should go pay my mortgage at that bank), then ooh I should hack that ATM, then I'm on another quest. I like to be able to cross things off a list and find it stressful when the list keeps getting bigger, and I get diverted from that goal. I'm trying not to worry too much about this dialogue or that choice, and just play through for fun. It's probably good to practice relaxing and being less goal oriented at times, but did I really need a video game to promote personal growth (if that's what this is lol).
Isn't that a standard in pretty much all RPGs? You get a quest board or a ton of NPCs handing them out and instead of going through them one by one you grab them all and then despair because you don't know which ones are actually important/advance the story, and then the quest log is full and your OCD kicks off because there's still more quests to pick up and you get pissed at the game and life in general and do stuff we can't really type here... I mean, I've heard of this from friends ofc...

My experience with Skyrim, Fallout4, and now Starfield is that to an extreme. I never finished any Bethesda rpg. I feel like Mass Effect (at least the first three, never finished Andromeda either) sure had side quests but it wasn't so crazy easy to get lost. Same going back to KOTR. I think side quests are important, but at least the to do list / quest list feels surmountable. Same reason why I don't use to do lists IRL lol.

Like really I was just trying to get some lady a coffee (because who knows sometimes the mundane random act of kindness has a huge reward), and now I am two big quests away and heading to a different planet. Does it really matter about her coffee, nope, not really. But it still annoys the crap out of me. All because there was no marker for the store that sells the coffee.

I wonder if this game is taxing on the GPU at all...I kept fah on in the background which is entirely GPU and my FPS stayed the same (50's) on an RTX 3080. Save's are still broken on my PC but that is another issue.

My GPU runs at 100% and max power fwiw. I'm pretty sure it uses the GPU, maybe the FAH is set up to be a lower priority and drop the work once a load is applied.

So far it's running great on the 6800xt. Sometimes FPS dips into the high 40s but is mostly in the 80s-90s, and when it does dip it's still very smooth/playable (with freesync). Not getting any micro-stuttering that would indicate inconsistent frame times.

I think I used the 6800/1440p settings here: https://www.sportskeeda.com/gaming-...aphics-settings-amd-radeon-rx-6800-rx-6800-xt

I'm still changing things slowly back to normal after all of my issues, so I think getting XMP re-enabled will be at the top of my priorities next. I'll probably watch the GN video at some point, but it's been an okay experience so far.

Nice to know your getting decent results with your 6800XT, should do well with my factory OC 6800XT then. Haven't touched the game yet, still enjoying a modded Skyrim SE atm.
I get what your saying about Bethesda RPG games, been there, done that, etc.. . This is where actual role play dynamics come into play. Not many players can grasp this concept. Role playing means exactly what it says. Nothing more or nothing less imo. Role playing means your character is playing a role & not an all-in-one character - if you get my drift. :)

Absolutely get that. But sometimes its easier said than done. Between FOMO on some side quests being better than the main and just feeling like the quest list is a todo list that I need to tick things off of.

Is Starfield Finally Optimized on PC?!? Patch 1.8.83 Tested! Big perf boost, DLSS, and more!!!

TLDR: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh... I would call it bug fixing more than anything... But we finally get DLSS, so that’s something I guess...

Have at least 60 hours since they fixed the saves.

Got around to starting my own base and built a large ship base so I could build my first ship...

It took me about 4 hours and I used a YT vid set on slow. It does a crew of 10 (Tho you can only carry 9, 8 really but either Sarah or the Robot don't count against your max 8). No ladders.

This why I like this game so much. I read complaint after complaint about the ship builder. For me what they have accomplished is astonishing.

Just looking for another game that will give me an excuse to delete Starfield.
Basically anything. (I got bored of starfield 10 hours in of repeating the same stuff and seeing the same stuff already).

Viewport was an interesting puzzle game that I enjoyed

Back