• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stealth galvanic corrosion sucks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Water block: Heatkiller 3.0 copper base
radiators: 2x Swiftech 3*120 all copper
WC blocks for 470 GTX: EK FC470 (copper base, acetel front)
pumps: 2x Swiftech 655

No aluminum so no galvanic reaction right? :mad: nooo.... Read on

For the last 7 or 8 months, my PC (main rig) had a very slow leak. I thought it was just normal evaporation as I never found any water puddle until a month ago. It seemed to be leaking from the pump housing on either Swiftech MCP655 or Koolance 452X2 reservoir and it had been a while so I decided to dismantle the WC loop for the bi-annual flush and check.

The pump mount that held one of the 2 pumps showed very bad corrosion (with lots of white and brown powdery residues), caused by a crack in rubber O ring that was supposed to keep water from leaking past the pump assembly. As a result, there had been a slow leak that connected with aluminum mount that held the pump to the reservoir block. Slow leak over 6 months mean a lot of corrosion had occurred. :mad: The mount itself looks OK aside from ugly discoloration but I'd have to do a complete tear down of every water blocks and flush the radiator to clean out any gunk that could have built up.

White powder may have come from water, I got them as steam distilled from stores but brown powder I have no idea where that came from. The only additive I used were PT Nuke.

I'd have to use the original O-ring that came with the pump as it's the same diameter. Just a hair thicker.

If you have Koolance reservoir that supports direct mounted pumps, and it comes with its own rubber ring, check them!!

Did you take any pic shots on those nasty residues and leak ? It will be really useful for others that has similar setup.

Did you take any pic shots on those nasty residues and leak ? It will be really useful for others that has similar setup.

I did not think to take any pictures :/ After a complete tear down, the copper blocks were just dull brown as normal but no sign of physical damage and just a little bit of grey residue. I wonder if the water pressure kept the water that leaked out and ate aluminum from coming back into the system and ruining copper?

After thorough cleaning with a side of ketchup, the only thing not restored to factory original is that one aluminum housing, it still has the dull grey and black tarnish. The other housing is still shiny.

I did have a little DUH moment. After I put it back together and filled it with water, I left it overnight for a sleep. I came back and checked, and found it;s leaking. I had only hand tightened all the hose clamps :eek::bang head So a quick fix there. And I got to let the computer dry before I can use it.

Back