• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 - Resistance Is Futile

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I like both Killing Floor and L4D2 ... totally different games. Not comparable at all IMO. L4D2 was worth the $50 I paid for it (even though it got cheaper few days later :() and Killing Floor is worth $20 (this time I got it on sale though, only $5) and it was a STEAL at $5.

picked up , Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition , and Osmos

Last edited:
The Rockstar Holiday pack is impressive, but not my cup of tea since I have trouble enjoying the GTA series:

Personally, I LOVE Max Payne 1/2... they also fall in the "I own it but I'd buy it again on Steam" category, but not with all that racing/GTA flak attached :p

I've sprung so far for Mirror's edge and STALKER myself... I'd jump on more but my wallet's already strained from holiday shopping and I think that's a well spent $7 that should last my gaming sweet-tooth for awhile... will certainly pay attention to tomorrow's deals though!

Holy Canoli... it's like someone at Steam is WATCHING me :eek:!

My Holiday Bundle so far :bday::
Total: $33.13

Egads... I've acquired a veritable mini-library of awesomeness for less than the cost of one new game! :D

Last edited:
Today I got Max Payne 1 and 2, and the Civilization IV complete pack.

Yesterday it was Jade Empire.

Somewhere in there I got Zombie Driver as well, which was fun to play. :)

kf.jpg

I fixed your image.

Don't get me wrong, I own both games. I see KF the military standpoint of zombie apocalypse and L4D a civilian survival. I recommend both games regardless.
You crossed out Iron sights why? One of the things I hate most about L4D is that there is crosshairs and doesnt let you put up ironsights
I am tempted for Titan Quest Gold, anyone have it?

Yes I played it, its excellent, a large variety of classes and skills and you get to min/max

The Titan Quest demo wouldn't run for me on Vista x64 and since the developer no longer supports TQ (I think they went out of business?) I didn't feel too good about that. I tried looking briefly for fixes but didn't find any..so just a heads up warning.

The Titan Quest demo wouldn't run for me on Vista x64 and since the developer no longer supports TQ (I think they went out of business?) I didn't feel too good about that. I tried looking briefly for fixes but didn't find any..so just a heads up warning.

run the main exe in xp mode yet?

on a side note, i'm wondering if I should get l4d1, i've played it briefly but haven't owned it. it was on sale at $7.49 normal price 29.99, quite a steal. all i know is l4d is night play and l4d2 is day play and made a little better, I kind of don't want to get the game if the players are gonna leave(to number2). I play zombies all the time so it has no wow factor(i'd get it just for competitive shooting, fast paced fragging) for me and the darkness makes l4d kind of hard. probably gonna wait for a l4d pack or for number 2 to be on sale. most likely the pack since I'm not quite sure what i'm missing.

if this stuff keeps up steam is gonna have a monopoly on the online games(delivery system) department. everyone is gonna use steam. xfire died didn't it?

all i know is since steam is such a big player in this department its good so far but can it go bad? (death of linux games?)

(sorry this was off topic, a simple agree or disagree would suffice for a response, if any, to that section)

back on topic it's cheaper to buy l4d and l4d2 separate than it is together lol. check out the packages that include l4d (separate 44.98 together 52.49)

i have been playing cs for a long time so i remember but not sure about counter strike mods for zombie mode, I think they predated l4d and i don't think it's just a coincidence. With some mods to knife only mode and health as well as maybe more gravity for the zombies, thats basically all you need to change in cs to make it l4d(fun yeah but i think valve just reskinned the idea). I also enjoyed superhero mod its like cs on hacks on steroids.

for anyone who hasn't played cs superhero servers, you get unlimited ammo(the punisher), shooting someone gives you health (vampire), regenerative health(wolverine), shoot lasers(cyclops), shoot rockets(heat seek, laser guided, camera guided), kamehamaha?wave, freeza distructo disc(cuts anything in half) high health like 10 000 hp, no clip (through walls), teleport, god mode(colossus hero power), golden guns that shoot lasers, you set remote detonated mines anywhere(bomberman) low gravity. fly, jet pack(iron man), spider webs, batman hook, light saber, flash(superspeed). all this was stacked so you can have them at the same time.

I wouldn't mind if cs was remade with a better engine but feel closer to 1.6 or 1.5(Perfect aim you'd think i was hacking) so that they can include better physics and graphics for mods like super hero(you just get the line for a web, no graphics, and player models are cs models not any cool looking animated heros, you get halo model (master chief) with a high damage p90 but thats usually it) or look what they did with earth special forces. mods are the bomb. check the trailer it's half life on super roids http://www.esforces.com/

I don't care how long this is, i don't think it's been done before, esf:

With the maps more detailed and since we lost the restrictions of the old BSP file format we were able to drastically increase the size of the maps themselves. While the old system allowed the maximal size of a box map to be ( 8192 x 8192 x 8192 ) we are now facing an unlimited size in the maps. Meaning that the only limit is how far the player is actually prepared to fly. So you can fly in a direction for 3 hours and you'd still be going forward if you wished to.
funny that sounds like our own universe.

Back to hero mod, I don't even care if this idea gets stolen, the main objective of superhero mod is to dominate the other team, or any player for that matter, you get experience points for killing which levels you up(each level is an earned power and allows +1 more concurrent use of powers), method of killing counts for different points based on difficulty, like the most powerful attack doesn't get you that many points but it can kill everyone on the team. the only thing missing is a story that can tie these super powers together like l4d did and keep the game and fun progressing. (experience and levels are periodically reset and takes like a month to get to top, level 60 levels)

The story can be some crazy shape shifting super villians are stealing superpowers from heros. they kill heros or a device that allows this is doing it(maybe an ultimate hero can be obtained by gathering all powers into 1 god player that gets to do whatever she/he desires to their enemies for 1 round, ultimate super distruction). As a counter, maybe the super heros have a scientist team(or batman) that created a device to share powers in order to combat the evil power stealers. the more powers they steal the stronger they get and more powers are available to them, they can add single player or rpg modes to this but the gold mine of fun is muliplayer stacked heros vs stacked heros. this game could use some nicer graphics and physics but needs a story that ties and stays true to using guns, and the cs feel(certain super beams go through all walls and kills everyone in the path, that wouldn't be possible if the engine or designer didn't include those perks or counter strike recoil, other games have no recoil at all). compared to l4d: shotgun, zombie, kind of boring dont you think?

Last edited:

I run Titan Quest under Vista 64 with no problems at all. What's it doing?

There's a community patch for TQ out, I know that much about a game I never played :p

fixed the prices , stupid steam telling me lies

Last edited:
If you don't have Darwinia and Multiwinia, then you need to have them, within the next 19 hours :)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/21660/

Street Fighter IV for 9.99 today! If bought through Steam, are you on separate servers or MS Live? Is the multiplayer serviceable or is lag a major issue?

I am a Steam addict as of this past week :eek:

Read up some answers for myself...

Looks like all online play for PC gamers is shared through MSLive! servers. Steam is just there for distribution. There are achievements but they're handled by MS, naturally.

Multiplayer in the PC realm doesn't appear to have any unique problems the console versions don't already have. Problems common to all platforms include a plethora of players who turtle, shoten (ryu and company) characters, potential for lag and disconnectors who don't want their scores tarnished. Whether this issues become overwhelmingly frustrating or not appears to vary based on the individual.

The only thing making me hesitate to buy is that super street fighter 4 (with add'l characters and such) is purportedly due in Q4 of 2010... Once that's out there's sure to be package deals :/

I bought HL1 Source today, never played HL1. Also got Shattered Horizon.

Last edited:
wow i didn't know there was a remastered version of half life 1 (half life source). I played it a bit (1) but the story was stupid right up to the point of the super fast moving alien that just moves all over the place and doesn't die.

always thought half life 2 was it after wards.

crap, I can see around 5 or 6 titles I would have gotten on the sale date had I not been so stupid. oh well, next year i'll just save this list and blow it.

example these are all look worth the price
Shattered Horizon - $4.99
Street Fighter IV - $9.99 (they fight online didn't know)
Crysis Maximum Edition - $13.59
Half Life: Source - $2.49

add
Left 4 Dead - $7.49 which i don't really care

Last edited:
Street Fighter 4 sucks. I cant believe I listened to a friend and bought it. I wish I could gift it to someone else.

Back