• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 - Resistance Is Futile

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If I prefer games like Grid, will I enjoy burnout paradise? Also, what about Prey, is that a good deal at 2 something? together they're under 10, so I'm seriously considering it.

If I prefer games like Grid, will I enjoy burnout paradise? Also, what about Prey, is that a good deal at 2 something? together they're under 10, so I'm seriously considering it.

Burn out isn't a sim game so much, it has a small small place in options to adjust steering sens, accerlation sens, ect but its not much more than that.

Each car has its own strengths and handling abilities so you do have to be somewhat skilled at driving but nothing to the degree of grid, but it helps alot because as you progress along the races get farther away, the computer is faster, and you have to be extremely aware of short cuts to gain a slight lead, and not only that you have to be ready to do it at any time.

There isn't really tracks in this game, imagine GTA 4 , meets Tony Hawk, meets Grid.

You get the open free world of gta to choose races, you complete a series of races and competitions that you get high scores on for spining your car, jumping, ect, winning races, winning road rages (bumper cars, run cars off the road), and then you get the aspect of GRID which is the importance of choosing the right car for the right race, and damage effects.

I love Grid, I love need for speed:shift, but I also really enjoy burnout. It reminds of watching old dukes of hazzard episoeds where your car sails through the air in a high speed chase.

It is much much more arcadish but not to the point where you can drive with your eyes closed, you DO have to pay attention. The cars do handle like real cars for the most part. But the game at its core is meant for an arcade player. It is the best balance I've seen to date though.

I found Burnout to be boring and annoying. It is one of those games that shows cut scenes that you can't escape out of, and it shows one every time you win a race or select a different car. The announcer sounds like corporate trying to be hip. You know how that turns out. The action is very repetitive. For the road rages, all you do is bump the bad guy into the wall. The interface makes it very evident that it is a console port.

I would pay maybe $5 for it, but not more. There are maybe 4-5 hours of decent fun in the game.

I got Prey as part of a combo deal, and played for about 20 minutes. Boooooring. The long unskippable cutscenes didn't help either.

Not worth $2.50 IMHO.

I know the cut scenes are a bit annoying sure but burnout at 7.49 is a damn steal. To each their own but it is a fun game.

the poor man's left 4 dead is cs 1.6 with zombie mod. (is this the game that left 4 dead is based on? cuz It just connected for me even though i played left 4 dead a few months ago)

burnout has some pretty bad controls there's like no controllable shifting not meant to be close to real life handling at all, meant as a crash and fake drift on a track game. (only way I made this game fun while playing with everything locked was playing with 2 other buddies of mines taking turns to beat their scores, its more fun to watch, point, laugh, make fun of while on your break) I hope we are talking about the same burnout.

most if not all nfs handles almost like real cars but has that arcadey feel

splinter cell games might be worth it, I've played a demo before so its decent.

now that i've accumlated up my response, I'm so grateful steam has put these deals out. it really helps everyone as far as I can see. I wouldn't remember half these old titles if they weren't on sale.

Last edited:
Are you serious?

That is the most awful comparison, on top of inaccurate. L4D games have custom maps, 8 players AND dedicated servers.

And the original's 3 game modes, is 2 more modes than KF.

Last edited:
Killing Floor is not a poor man's Left 4 Dead. Lets compare shall we

killingfloor.jpg

Enjoy your L4D! :D

kf.jpg

I fixed your image.

Don't get me wrong, I own both games. I see KF the military standpoint of zombie apocalypse and L4D a civilian survival. I recommend both games regardless.

Last edited:
On another topic...

Just got Jade Empire™: Special Edition for $3.75...

This holiday sale is too awesome. :)

Can anyone list today's specials? I don't get off work for another 4 hours, and their site is blocked here.

Jade Empire™: Special Edition
Step into the role of an aspiring martial-arts master and follow the path of the open palm or the closed fist. In this mult-award-winning action-RPG, your choices and actions will determine the fate of the entire Jade Empire.... more
$14.99 $3.75
Add to Cart
King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame
Welcome to the lost age of chivalry, where magic and myth is alive, and you are destined to be one of the living legends: Arthur, the son of Uther Pendragon, the Once and Future King of the prophecies.... more
$39.99 $19.99
Add to Cart
Stormrise
Lead from the front in the world's most immersive and first truly 3D RTS. Assume command on the frontlines of battle! Experience the rush of battle in ways no other real-time strategy game has ever offered.... more
$29.99 $7.49
Add to Cart
Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor
Company of Heroes®: Tales of Valor™ is the expansion to the Game of the Year winner and highest rated real time strategy franchise Company of Heroes®.... more
$29.99 $7.49
Add to Cart
Mr. Robot
Asimov is a lowly service mechanoid aboard the interstellar colony ship Eidolon. Carrying hundreds of frozen human colonists to a new world.... more
$9.99 $1.99
Add to Cart
Silent Hill Homecoming
In Silent Hill Homecoming, Alex Shepherd has returned to his hometown of Shepherd's Glen to investigate the sudden disappearance of his brother.... more
$39.99 $9.99
Add to Cart

updated the list, sorry I was sleeping , as i work night shift this month :(

King Arther looks tempting...

Back