• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock FX-4130, impressed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psittac

I just built my dad a new pc today with a quad core amd and I've gotta say i'm rather impressed with it's performance. It's all stock and it goes pretty damned fast. While planning out a pc for a friend of mine I was told that an intel i3 dual core and an amd quad core would be on par with eachother but I'd be amazed if an intel dual core would be this fast.

The only thing it doesn't do quite as fast as my intel i5 is pure processing but it's pretty damned close. I gotta say amd is doing well for themselves if this cpu is any sign of their lineup.

pc I built was:
msi board
8gb ram
120g ssd
hd5450

swap out the gpu and you'd have an impressive gaming machine. better board and cooling and I bet it would do a lot more.

I've always been an Intel guy but I have to say I'm impressed with AMD's FX line-up. They compete well with both the i5 2500K and the i5 3570K.

I wouldn't **** my pants if I got 'stuck' with an AMD FX 8350.:drool:

Yeah I would absolutely love to make an overclockable 4130, can't imagine what it would do. As it stands I like my intel rig more but it was also double the price because I built it as a clocking and gaming rig. If I'd put the same amount of quality into this amd rig I honestly think it would go toe to toe.

All I can tell for sure is it's just as responsive, quicker to respond slower to load, if that makes sense. OC it and who knows.

Also I barely looked at the clocking but it seamed to me like AMD kept the FSB on their chips? I LURVED playing with the fsb on my old Athlon-xpm, I mean absolutely loved it, they were so slow in those days that playing with the timings fsb and multiplier completely changed the nature of the beast.

These days it's more like do you want super fast or super fast? can't really tell the difference lol. I OC mainly for the fun of it (what little I do) not necisarrily for the performance increase. Only time I ever notice a single thing is loading something like league of legends. (got beat by 3% by a stock i7 a bit ago lol)

psittac, if you do go for om of the FX chips get a piledriver version, they are generally better then the bulldozers. FX 4300, 6300. 8320 or 8350. The majority of people I have seen on this forum have either the 6300 or the 8xxx series chips. The 6300 clocks well they are fun to play with, though they do generate a lot of heat and need a good motherboard for high overclocks.

Mandrake4565 brings up a good point..I waited for the piledriver to be released,and it definitely exceeded my expectations.You will get a 15% increase in performance over the first generation.At 135 dollars roughly,its a no brainer.In my case,anything over 4.4g is when temps seem to increase.The performance trade off, going to 4.5 or 4.6 ,was not enough to to justify the heat.I'm more than happy with oc and temps running at 4.4g.Just some food for thought if you buy a cpu in the future.

Last edited:
Back