• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

-stock&stable- ...except 4th core when decoding h264?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NightRyder

Registered
[solved] -stock&stable- ...except when 4th core touches h264?!?!

Edit2: Solved. :eek: Apparently FFDShow's implementation of x264 encoding and decoding when used on my computer (donno about anyone else, but there are some others out on the internet highway who seem to have similar problems) crashes when using the 4th core. It can use 1, 2, 3 and any combo of them, but if it works too much on the 4th, crash. :screwy: Apparently VLC and media player classic also use FFDShow or something similar because they have the same issue. Switching decoders seems to have fixed the issue.

Now back to me regularly scheduled speed of 4.25Ghz! Gah, what a pain. I'll have to take it out on someone this weekend while paintballing. I really thought I had killed my cpu and or mobo.. So much for Linux helping debug the problem.. :/:bang head Oh, and thanks for the help. I know no one said anything, but even just writing things down helped.

Edit: it happens when encoding h264 too. Weirdest bug ever? yes I think so.

Originally I was looking for a 4GHz quad setup. I played with the auto settings and huge overclocks. After endless nights of fighting, I gave up for a time and returned to stock (with the auto overclock thing this mobo has.) Soon I found the crashes. Or maybe it was they who found me, I donno.. Anyway, It only crashed now and then, and I was busy with things. Mostly these days I watch Hulu or Youtube... Eventually I must have gone back and looked at some video on my HDD. The rest is history.

So... all these tests say this setup should be stable.
All these run at stock settings, using defaults in the bios.
- Memtest86 for an hour
- Prime95 blend for 5.5 hours
- 3dmark06
- TF2 for hours
- SuperPi 32M passed (individually on each core)

Things I have tried:
- Ubuntu (Proves it can't be software related)
- Different GPU
- Many combos of underclocking/overvolting the Vtt/Vid/PLL/MCH/ICH/RAM/FSB (mindful of the Intel suggested specs)
- Disabling just about everything in the mobo bios (audio, usb, lan, etc) and unhooking everything except keyboard and hdd.

Basically nothing changed the result. Sometimes it would seem like the random BSOD with it's cryptic "a clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval" message was totally random. Soon I narrowed it down to playing videos.

Eventually I found it only happened when trying to watch h264 content. From there I focused the problem down to my 4th core using Set Affinity in taskmanager. HOW CAN THIS BEEE!!! I am so confused. Does anyone have any idea where to look for an answer?

Computer Specs
Code:
Q9550
2x2GB Gskill 1066 CL5 pack
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (came with newest bios version)
Nvidia 8800 GTS
Watercooled (swiftech apogee block, 3x120 radiator, mcp355 pump)
OCZ 520w PowerStream Powersupply

On a side note, it seems that there are many problems with new processors vs back in the day with k6-2s, thunderbirds and older. Maybe it is because I have been looking at threads like this one for answers, or maybe I just didn't have problems and thus didn't look to see others having them?

Last edited:
Back