• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange issue with gaming laptop LCD (video)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
After hours or driver updates, reading and troubleshooting, can't figure out what is causing this. Drivers up to date based on what is available from support.dell. See video below. Flickering visible on dark or darker colors and not apparent on "white screen" or using programs like Word. Seems to mostly go away when there is mouse movement or other movement on the screen (like notification pop up in video). If I force the PC into using the dedicated GPU, issue goes away. Issue does not happen when using external display. Incredibly annoying and gives me headaches.

Dell support seems to think it's the LCD/connector so they are sending a tech to replace those items, but I am not convinced. Thoughts?

Specs: Alienware 13r3, I7, 16GB, integrated 630GPU with dedicated 1060 gb GPU.

Boy that is terrible and annoying. I don't know how it could be the cable if running dGPU fixes the issue.
I would try removing the stock Dell (terrible) intel drivers with DDU

After that try installing Intel drivers from intel directly

One annoying thing is that on my XPS, Microsoft thinks it knows better than I and keeps trying to replace my Intel GPU drivers with 8 month old ones from Microsoft. I was able to get around that by using O&O Shutup10 and disabling driver updates from Windows updates.

Let me know if that helps you at all, fingers crossed for you.

Last edited:
Boy that is terrible and annoying. I don't know how it could be the cable if running dGPU fixes the issue.
I would try removing the stock Dell (terrible) intel drivers with DDU

After that try installing Intel drivers from intel directly

One annoying thing is that on my XPS, Microsoft thinks it knows better than I and keeps trying to replace my Intel GPU drivers with 8 month old ones from Microsoft. I was able to get around that by using O&O Shutup10 and disabling driver updates from Windows updates.

Let me know if that helps you at all, fingers crossed for you.

Thanks for the reply and provided links. I followed your suggestions, used the tool to completely remove the Dell provided Intel drivers and installed drivers directly from Intel. Problem still exists. I guess I will let the Dell tech replace the screen and cable. Hopefully the tech that comes isn't blind to the problem. I can certainly "see" it all the time and it's more evident when viewing through a camera - regardless, shouldn't be seeing flickering at all on an LCD. I will update after their visit today.

So strange it doesn't do it with the dGPU though. I hope the cable/screen fixes the issue but wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't. Let us know how it turns out.

So strange it doesn't do it with the dGPU though. I hope the cable/screen fixes the issue but wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't. Let us know how it turns out.

So frustrated with Dell. The tech came and replaced the screen. Alas, the issue disappeared, BUT, the replacement screen was absolutely unacceptable. The old LCD was a Chi Mei. Aside from the flickering issue, the image was crisp, clear, great contrast and good response. The new one? The LCD was a BOE and it suffered from that weird prismatic effect (similar to how a screen looks "fuzzy" when you put on a cheap, plastic screen protector. The problem was really bad on a bright white image (like Word). To top it off, in games, it had terrible ghosting.

I called the tech back (he gave me his cell phone number) and explained to him what I was seeing. Granted, his hands are tied to just perform the work that Dell contracted him to do, but he agreed that the screen didn't look as good as the other. Alienware support was useless. They claim they are only using BOE panels as replacements now and if it is working, then there is nothing they can (will) do. Apparently, image quality isn't important to them, even on a $1800 laptop.

Tech came back to the house at the end of his day and put the old panel back in and said I should escalate the ticket. If they are only using BOE panels now for repairs, the only other option would be the OLED screen but that is a fat chance in getting them to provide that.

At this point, I would rather live with the flickering on darker backgrounds than to deal with a crap image over the entire screen.

As to the source of the problem? The tech is baffled. Replacing the LCD did remedy the issue so we know it's screen related. Defect? Maybe, maybe not. Could be some minor incompatibility between the Intel GPU and LCD. If the dGPU didn't hog twice the power at idle, I would just run the PC off the dGPU all the time but I would be lucky to get 2 hours at idle vs the 4-5 when using the iGPU.

It almost looks like PWM flickering, I forgot to ask if it does it at high and low levels of brightness? Also in regards to the screen I would bet if you complained enough that Dell will upgrade you to the OLED screen. Do you know the model of the BOE and Chi Mei screen? According to Notebookcheck.net the Chi Mei is CMN1371 but I couldn't find anything about the BOE.

If it was an incompatibility between LCD and GPU, thousands upon thousands would have this issue. I'm certain it was tested before making thousands of these models. ;)

It does it on high, low and everything in between (brightness settings)

The panel they tried to replace with was a BOE 06BE. You are correct on the Chi Mei.

Here are the specs on the two panels:

BOE panel

BOE Monitor.JPG

Chi Mei panel
Chi Mei.JPG

While the specs are somewhat similar, the clear difference is the response times. BOE - 30ms and the Chi Mei - 11ms. There is also a difference in the final coating used on the screen where the BOE is using a "Antiglare" and the Chi Mei, a "Antiglare" and Hard coating. The antiglare by itself is likely where that "prismatic" comes from.

Lol you beat me to looking up on panel look. I still think you should be persistent with Dell and not settle.
I would give them three options:
Replace the screen with the same Chi Mei screen
Replace the screen with an OLED screen
Refund your purchase

Sadly with them, the squeaky wheel gets the grease...

Back