• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange problem with PCI ethernet card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Redstone

I have onboard lan but wanted to try the more recent realtek lan chipset. Moving from 8139/8100 to 8169 gigabet controller. Plugged in the card and cable then boot. XP recognizes the card fine and loads a driver. Device manager says the card is enabled, all the lights are steady on the modem. But it will not connect to the internet, windows shows its searching in the lower right menubar, but cannot name or find an IP or someting? I'm at work so do not hve the excate error message in front of me. I try a repair but it fails. Same thing with UBS connection.
I can live with onboard lan but wanted to take advantage of the latest controller.
Any ideas of something that may need to be enabled?

Why would you want Gigabit ethernet to your cable modem? That modem might still have 10MBit/s ethernet for its connection. And the WAN side will be even slower.

You says "loads a driver". have you checked it'S the proper one for this card? ie. not for a realtek fast ethernet chip for example?

Also if this is directly connected to your Internet Modem (DSL/Cable) maybe your ISP is running MAC security in which case they have to reset the MAC address associated with your connection if you want to use a different card.

Thanks for the responses. I do use DSL and not cable, so I was hoping for a speed and download boost with gigabit lan card. I will look into the MAC security idea.

For pretty much all current DSL or cable installations, a fastethernet NIC is more than enough. There are less than a percent installs which need more than a 10Mbit/s NIC even.

Back