• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange Situation. Installing OS on 2nd HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheezewhiz

Hi Guys,

I am building a new rig.

Budget is tight and cannot buy a CD drive to install OS.
However I have a laptop where I already have Windows 7 installed.

I have Windows 7 CD and new key.

I extracted all the executable files from the CD onto my laptop HDD.

Which option would work or will both:

Connect new HDD and my laptop HDD to new rig and boot windows from laptop HDD.

From laptop HDD I can launch the Windows files/setup and install windows 7 onto secondary (new) HDD. Then remove and boot the new HDD.

Or...

Load the files onto a flash drive (roughly 3.01GB) and boot from flash drive and install onto new HDD. (I can probably obtain a free flash drive).

When booting from flash USB do I need to partition the flash USB in any way? Haven't done this before.

I know its a lot of work considering I can buy a CD drive for 20 bucks but I would have to return the drive since the case is a Silverstone fortress and it takes a slot loading drive which is expensive.

Thanks!

It's slightly more complicated than that, but not by much. Check out the following:

Create ISO from Windows 7 install DVD:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/software-tools/a/create-iso-image-file.htm

Create Windows 7 install USB:
http://arstechnica.com/business/2009/12/the-usb-flash-drive/

then in BIOS on new rig, Boot from USB.

And in theory, you're golden. Let us know how you make out.

I have the installation files copied to my laptop desktop.
Can I just boot from my laptop drive...then run the windows 7 setup. Is there the option to install the OS onto secondary drive? I don't want to try anything without being sure because of the probability of erasing my laptop drive.

Or do I absolutely have to create an ISO image?

The only issues with installing from your laptop, is that it doesn't configure the install for the drivers in the desktop... It's the same reason you don't pull a harddrive out of an old rig and stick it into a new one without reinstalling. Ends up giving more hassel then it's worth.

But, yes. Installing from the flash drive will be, by far, the simplest method given no disc drive. If 4GB ends up not being enough, you can often find larger - Such as an 8-16gb for about 10 bucks at local electronics stores. I know Best Buy has them on sale every week around here.

DL the official install disk from microsoft, the links are still available although impossible to find on microsofts site, use a search engine.

You have two options; DL the USB maker from cnet (it is an offical MS product but the search engine links do not work anymore) OR manually create a windows 7 usb installer.

It is quite easy.

Load the windows ISO using a tool like Daemon tools (lite is free just opt out of the adware and search engine/homepage changers)

Format the USB stick NTFS in windows

Open admin command prompt.

If your virtual CD is E and your stick is F use the following commands (change drive letters to what they are on your system)

in the command prompt

e:

cd boot

bootsect.exe /nt60 f:

exit

this makes your USB drive bootable.

Now open the virtual CD and copy all contents to the USB stick. (If your USB stick has info on it and is NTFS formatted already you do not need to format it)

Install it to the new PC and change boot order to usb stick. (Should show up as a hard drive). At first erstart pull the USB stick unless you used one time change boot order.

I usually add a folder on the USB stick with all the drivers for the new PC as well. After I get to desktop I copy the folder over to downloads so I can do all driver installs.

Hope that Helps!

EDIT: If your new PC has a COA, you need an OEM licensed windows 7 disk... I usually just torrent them, takes about 15 minutes.

DL the official install disk from microsoft, the links are still available although impossible to find on microsofts site, use a search engine.

You have two options; DL the USB maker from cnet (it is an offical MS product but the search engine links do not work anymore) OR manually create a windows 7 usb installer.

It is quite easy.

Load the windows ISO using a tool like Daemon tools (lite is free just opt out of the adware and search engine/homepage changers)

Format the USB stick NTFS in windows

Open admin command prompt.

If your virtual CD is E and your stick is F use the following commands (change drive letters to what they are on your system)

in the command prompt

e:

cd boot

bootsect.exe /nt60 f:

exit

this makes your USB drive bootable.

Now open the virtual CD and copy all contents to the USB stick. (If your USB stick has info on it and is NTFS formatted already you do not need to format it)

Install it to the new PC and change boot order to usb stick. (Should show up as a hard drive). At first erstart pull the USB stick unless you used one time change boot order.

I usually add a folder on the USB stick with all the drivers for the new PC as well. After I get to desktop I copy the folder over to downloads so I can do all driver installs.

Hope that Helps!

EDIT: If your new PC has a COA, you need an OEM licensed windows 7 disk... I usually just torrent them, takes about 15 minutes.

Thanks! I went ahead and found this article which is almost exactly what you told me to do.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_to_install_windows_7_beta_a_usb_key

I found a 4GB drive at work for free :) I created a partition. Made it a bootable drive. CMD with administrator settings starts in the system32 path. Had to brush up on my prompt skills to get to a start path in C: :shock:
If anyone is wondering type this prompt and it will start at C: if you are running CMD as administrator. (With Quotes)

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k "cd c:\"

Anyhow. I copied all the 64bit OS files and then booted it up.

Super fast! Installed in less than 15 minutes. Way faster than CD installation.

Thank you guys for all the help! My new budget rig is coming into play.

Yeah USB is the only way to go, the only optical drive I have right now installed is on my laptop, and that is going to get swapped out for a second HDDcaddy eventually.

Also there are two alternative to using switches to open an elevated comand prompt (although you could use your way to create a desktop shortcut... I think I will do that too :) )

1. type CMD in the windows search box on the start menu, when CMD.exe comes up right click and run as administrator.

2. Type CMD in the search box and then hit ctrl+shift+enter (this is the KB shortcut for run as admin :) )

Back