• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange sound emitting from new build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll try bumping it up closer to what it should be running. I was having a look around the BIOS earlier. Just didn't want to make a problem worse, if there is one.

Don't worry about setting it manually, there are XMP settings for a reason.

Will do. I'm going to chalk the crash up to some software I install. Though I do still hear that low but audible sound from the PC when I scroll webpages. Maybe its the USB port.

That just leaves the Xbox controller lol.

New problem, had a differently named crash just now that a google prompted me to run a verifier to fix. Now windows barely gets to desktop before I get a DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION crash and everything restarts. Time for a full wipe to W10 methinks. It could be the ram but I suspect AI Suite III personally. Gonna try and boot into safe mode, download drivers and make a W10 usb from safe mode.

Avast and malwarebytes are two of my first stops on a fresh install (after usable browsers :p) but I guess it could be. Downloading W10 drivers now and will report back when I'm on Windows 10.

Thanks for all the help so far guys btw :)

Think I'm going to go without AI Suite III this time around. Are there other freeware tools for turning down fans, showing CPU temps, overclocking iGPU etc.? I'm also looking for something that will give me fps and cpu temps in game without impacting performance, like an overlay.

AI Suite has a long standing reputation for causing problems.

Fan speed profiles can be configured in bios to match load temps.

CPU overclocking, stress-testing and temp monitoring can be done with an excellent free tool called Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (IXTU).

A number of free third party GPU overclocking, stress tesing, monitoring tools are available. One such popular tool is MSI Afterburner.

Do you have the latest bios installed on your motherboard?

Never messed around with any of that stuff, scared to do so. Downloaded the newest BIOS though. What do I do with a .CAP? Should I install it before making the jump to W10 or is after fine?

Overclocking the iGPU is particular in an easy fashion, like AI suite could. I've no GPU yet. Thanks for the link. I've downloaded Intel Extreme Tuning utility to hopefully try and get a bit more juice out of the iGPU.

On W10 now, seems fine but barely got going yet. BIOS has configured the fans real nice. Xbox pad is being picked up nicely. Not sure if that's W10 or just the lack of AI Suite. Either way going to be keeping that off.

I wish. Just had two separate programs tell me I can't install 64 bit versions of them. Could've sworn I installed the 64 bit version of windows. Bloody hell.

Yep, confirmed its a 32bit install on a 64 bit processor, because the owner is a dummy. Making a new usb now. I'm putting it down to Windows fighting you on what version you create depending on what is already on your system.

Yep, confirmed its a 32bit install on a 64 bit processor, because the owner is a dummy. Making a new usb now. I'm putting it down to Windows fighting you on what version you create depending on what is already on your system.

You are correct about that. The Windows 10 upgrade will correspond to the version of the OS you are upgrading from. If 32-bit then 32-bit. If Home Premium then it will be Home Premium. The only way around that I know of is to put the bucks down for a from scratch purchase from the Microsoft store . . . the only legal way that is. Unless, Unless, you have a product key from another qualifying Windows product, like Windows 7 64-bit. Then you can make another install USB stick with the online Media Creation tool, install Windows 10 and plug in the product key from the earlier qualifying for upgrade to Windows 10.

When making the usb I had to uncheck a box then it let me make a X64 one, is this not the case? Will it still install a 32bit version?

Don't know. Try it. But you can't do an inplace upgrade of a 32-bit OS with a 64-bit. You can do a clean install with a 64-bit when there has been a 32-bit OS installed. Just hope you don't have issues with activating it.

This is why tying keys to motherboards is really crappy of microsoft. Three licenses in four years. It should just be ours forever. Restrict it to a single version if you must. I would trawl reddit for cheap codes but I hear a lot of them are being cancelled a few months down the line.

I agree with your sentiments about tying the activation to the motherboard. When we buy a piece of software it should be ours to use and reuse.

Still getting that horrid scratching sound from what I am 80%sure is the CPU socket; its similar to the sound you get from a write/read on a mechanical hdd. PC is performing just fine which is whats surprising, but the sound is very disconcerting. I'm worried the cpu may be bent; skylake has had this problem because they went with a thinner design and apparently mounting coolers on them has caused some to be bent. I had to apply decent force to get mine on. Noctua cooler. What should I use to check on the CPU? AIDA64?

Back