• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange USB External HD ejection problem in Windows 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

The problem is whenever I try to eject a USB hard drive from this Windows 10 Pro-based desktop I get a blue screen.

I've tried two different USB external hard drives and both give the blue screen when I try to eject them.

No blue screen when ejecting USB flash drives, just the external hard drives.

I have tried this on another Windows 10 (Home Premium) machine I own and there is no problem when ejecting the same USB hard drive.

Blue screen error messages says: Driver_Verifier_IO Manager_Violation (vdsnap.sys).

WhoCrashed data from minidump says:

3 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

fltsrv.sys

fltserv.sys is associated with Acronis True Image. I unistalled the porgram and cleaned the registry with Ccleaner. I searched fro fltsrv.sys after that and it is gone but the problem persists.

I also ran sfc /scannow and it reported finding and fixing a .dll file but this did not fix the problem either.

Any ideas? USB issues are bite and seem to be so common for some reason.

Try this. Acronis cleanup tool. Works pretty good. Haven't tried it on W10 yet. Lemme know.

Attachments

• atih_cleanup_tool_s_e.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 13
The Acronis Cleanup Utility didn't fix it. The utility is for Acronis 2015 and I had installed Acronis TI 2016. Maybe it would have worked for an earlier version. OR maybe something else is causing the issue besides Acronis. Computer is completely stable otherwise. Only when I go to eject an external USB hard drive does this happen.

Works on 2015 and all earlier versions. 2016 is different.
As far as I know, there isn't a cleanup tool for 2016 yet.

Works on 2015 and all earlier versions. 2016 is different.
As far as I know, there isn't a cleanup tool for 2016 yet.

No, there isn't. The Acronis online community is complaining about that too.

So, I did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 and the problem is no more.

For backups I'll probably use Macrium Reflect. It's free and has good features. Acronis is still valuable as a portable cloner when put on an optical disk.

Back