• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange Voltage readings (HELP!), Help me pick out a new PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jchsatx09

I just built a new system as follows:
Antec 300w SL300S
Epox 8RDA3+PRO
AMD Athlon 2400+
256MB PC2100
80GB WD HDD, 120GB WD HDD
128MB 8x AGP FX5200

With no PCI or optical drives my +12v are 9.53v - 10.84v, and my +3.3v are 1.58v - 1.68v according to AIDA32. Speedfan shows a +12v of 5.84v and same +3.3v as AIDA32. The +3.3v and the +12v dont show up in my bios. My +5v is 4.99v but it sags to 4.48v when I power the DVD-RW. All this and no apparent stability issues, I can even OC.

So, I have posted this in the forum before about this, and most people are telling me "don't worry about it." But < 10v on the +12v rail is not normal, and I'd rather lay down for a good PSU, than damage the rest of my system.

My budget is $50 - $75, but I would probably spend more if something really caught my eye. I have been looking at Fortran, Zippy, Antec, Sparkle, Enermax and Vantec PSU's.

Bad MOBO, Bad PSU?
What do you guys recommend for a PSU?
Is the Fortran AX500 overkill?
Any thoughts on why my voltages are so off?

Please Help!

Thank You.

That epox board should come with a program to read temps and volts. Try it and see what readings you get. But, you should always use a mutimeter for the best readings. Epox board sensors can and will give you false readings. If you do get a new PSU, take a look at this one. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-934&depa=0 I know it's a goodie. Also, check to make sure you have the latest BIOS for that board.

What part of "Never trust software readings" do people not get? Dude, if your rails were THAT off, you wouldn't be using it, for it would not be working...

Perhaps, hence the multiple suggestions to confirm the readings with a VOM. At any rate it is an Antec and a 300w antec at that. It's replacement wouldn't be the most tragic thing ever.

Either way he asked for PSU suggestions and got them.

Actually savagebasher, you WRONG. I took it to a tech at Thunder Computer Systems, and he tested it. It was a bad PSU afterall. 7v on the +12v, 1.7v on the 3.3v.

Ouch. I wouldn't even power it up again w/o a new PSU if those rails are confirmed.

Send that Antec in for repair &/or get a new one, considering that experience I'd get the fortron blue storm.

Back