• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strix 980 Ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, what the hell, my Strix started under-clocking itself by 13 in every 3D app or game, doesn't matter if its overclocked or stock ? i didn't change anything in the system, so why ???

k small update, the card starts underclocking when it hits 63 temp, always by 13mhz and it stays lower the rest of the time. Voltage also decreases a notch and power limiter doesn't even hit 100% let alone 110%. Read somewhere that the Titan X sometimes has this issue, what is it doing on the 980 Ti ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Check in msi ab and see what tripped it. Can you confirm that 60c temp with another program? Perhaps its the vrms getting hot causing that minor throttling

63 degrees, tried it with Afterburner, Precision X and GPU Tweak. Like i said it wasn't doing this yesterday, started today when i was playing MWOnline, restarted same, went back to stock and back to overclock, different speeds, rolled back to 355.60 (been using 355.82), same. Googled a bit and i saw Titan X owners with the same problem so... weird much ? RMA ?

Check msi ab and gpuz to see if any other thing tripped it. It shows overvoltage, power limit, etc in a 1/0 type guess in both.

I wonder if a bios flash will take care of it.

Another factor to include here, she stays at 1190 (stock speed) in windows, doesn't downclock to the other power saving modes even when i don't have program or game on ?

Apologies for an old thread necro, in need of some help/advice on Maxwell overclocking and it might also help other Strix owners :)

Think i got the settings right on the BIOS mod (pics below), finally got voltage sliders unlocked and TDP settings working right and found out yesterday why i couldn't get my OC higher then ~1450mhz with any driver above 355.**, at the ~65c threshold 13mhz downclock it would also lower the voltage from 1.237v to 1.218v (WHY Asus). It is now locked at 1.237v and will bump to 1.241v if i set my fans to 100%, my overclock was raised to it's original 1508mhz/1495mhz. My question would be now, IF i still have some overclock headroom whats the maximum voltage i can safely pump through it on air as the temps are still around 75c on Heaven benchmark ?

Clipboard01.jpg Clipboard02.jpg

Last edited:
Just a bit of advice here, but why not leave it on 100% fan all the time? Never understood people's problem with having a bit of noise in the system. My case fans, CPU fan, and GPU fan stay at their absolute limit 24/7 and it never bothers me one bit :p

Sounds like a jet engine and my computer is in the living room, wife gets very pissy when she cant hear the TV over the fans :D Temps are not the issue though, either at 60% or 100% she hits 70c very fast, but hasn't gone over 80c so far.

I'd wouldn't go much more than 1.275 on air. Others bravery may vary, lol!

Why (how?) diopd you tie voltage going up to 1.241 with your fan set at 100%? Regardless of the logic of temperatures, I wouldn't have done that. Just leave the two separate.

What did you set the tdp wattage at?

I have found on these chips that anything over 1.25ish really doesn't help on ambient cooling. Just my 2¢

I didn't tie anything, it was running Heaven at 1.237v on the custom fan profile to check temps, i disabled auto and cranked it to 100% and voltage jumped a notch, but hasn't repeated as i'm tweaking. Started TDP at 450w (grabbed it from a LN2 BIOS) but its never gone above 73% so i will lower it for my final revision, what would you say its best here ? Also as i cant go higher then 1499mhz core and +500 memory for stability ill set it as 1.25v as Johan suggested.

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg

I figured it was an anomoly... glad you figured it out. :)

I'd leave it as is. Why bother changing it when it's not close to the he tdp? ;)

Can do I suppose, thought 450w was a bit over the top ;) seems awkward to have waited a year to have my GPU running at full tilt, really don't understand why on earth Asus would put a cork on MHz and voltage at 65c...

Back