• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Struggling with a semi-complicated problem. *Lengthy*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PrometheuSBoxeR

Yesterday I found myself spending about 12 hours fooling around with the computer in my signature. First time in 2-3 years it has given me any sort of trouble what so ever.

Where do I start?

I don't use screen savers on my computer, I just set my monitors to turn off after 20 minutes of inactivity. I was gone for about 8 hours the other night, when I got home my monitors were still on. I was worried I ruined my monitors because of this (HP w2207, and a Viewsonic VX922). This was the first sign of something abnormal to me.

I decide to reboot and on the first reboot, I can't even get past/into the Windows XP screen. My computer is basically locked up, I reboot it again.

Second-third reboot, I will get to the desktop and both my monitors will have red speckles of pixels splattered across the screen in a very repetitive manner. Almost as if someone used the spray can feature in Paint with red, and went across the monitor like a checkerboard board. Spot here, blank, spot here blank, etc. Most of my programs are not very responsive, the mouse acts up, while a trail of red speckles follows it and it ends up freezing.

Rebooting a couple more times, I eventually get to the desktop with no looks of a problem. Websites are working fine, internet is great. Instant messenger works just fine. I go to load up World of Warcraft and I artifact/glitch out at the start up screen. Computer is completely locked up, nothings responds and I am forced to turn it off.

At this point I'm convinced it was my monitors/video card that were ruined and I thought I had burned an image or pixels in. I was also worried about my motherboard/mouse.

I opened up my case to make sure everything was working even while still getting lock ups/pixel discolorations. Every fan is running, nothing shows a sign of a problem except for the video card being almost too hot to touch. I decided to take a look at the video card and make sure its seated properly. I take it out, I take it apart and I wiped it down clean with alcohol 91%, and reapplied some arctic silver 5. I figured that heat might be the issue, and hopefully this would help.

So I put it back in, properly seated and hooked up with x2 PCI-E connectors, and still have troubles.

I then take the 8800GTX out of my current computer, and put it in my old one with a DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR. I change the drivers and such, and attempt to load up WoW. Screen locks up just like before on my current system. Few reboots, few retries, I notice a couple discolorations and failures to load WoW, but ultimately I'm convinced it is the video card that is the problem here.

Don't ask me why but I am still not 100% convinced that my video card is the only problem. I also think my motherboard might be cause of some of the problem. At this point I am not really sure how to properly 100% test out to see what part is the cause of the problems. It may or may not be just the video card at fault. At the end of all the screwing around with the PC with the 8800GTX in it, my keyboard actually started to type backwards. I could not get my keyboard to type normally.

Between a lot of really funky problems, mouse getting suck, discoloration, pixel deformities, keyboard typing backwards, windows getting stuck. I reformatted thinking I might have done some serious corruption with windows and registry and what not, but I just was exhausting any theoretical problem that I thought might help. I couldn't find proper drivers for my MSI motherboard, couldn't get internet working. Just lots of problems that I was becoming very frustrated with near the end.

I'm convinced that it is my video card that needs replaced, but I don't know if I have done enough tests to verify the true problem. I think I did, but that's why I'm here asking in the first place. - If my video card does need to go, I was looking into it, and my MSI board only supports PCI Express 16X (not 2.0). Most of the cards these days are 2.0 in bandwidth, so I would in theory be only getting half the new card by putting it in the old board. I also took note that the only real original PCI-E 16x cards out these days are in the 8600GT era for about 80 bucks.

What would you do in my shoes, what should I do? Do I buy an older video card just to get it to hopefully work? assuming that video card was the only problem, and sell it for as much as I can? I was planning on selling the PC in my sig (including the 8800GTX before it broke of course) for about 500 dollars locally and building a new one. I think I am going to be building a new one regardless, pretty near top of the line, but I'm just not sure what to do.

for certain that card is fried but as for replacements pcie 2.0 is 100% backward compatible so any pcie card would work

For some reason it got too hot. I wouldnt say its borked yet - but if it was too hot to touch then for a start thats where things started. Are you sure the fan is going round properly? have you removed the second blank from the case to allow the air to go out the case on the GTX?

I would leave it an hour to cool down and try again, but just make absolutely certain the fan is going round, and in a manner that is going to move some heat. The oil could have dried up because of the heat that you meantioned and be barely moving.

The red spots that you meantioned are artefacts and are a classic symptom of things getting too hot. I wouldnt be worried about your monitors or mouse at all. It takes a good 24 hours to burn-in a monitor. I would have thought they were ok. The only reason your graphics card would get too hot is because the GPU fan is not turning around fast enough to move the heat being generated. I would really look at it and make sure it turns with enough oomph to move some decent air, and maybe take the plastic cover off the card itsef and check to see if too much dust has been sucked in and stopping the air from getting out. If you have had the card for +6 months, i would bet there is a fair amount of dust in there, unless you keep your case super-duper clean. The 8800GTX's are pretty resilient cards.. I would hold out on buying anything just yet..

Code:
....really funky problems, mouse getting suck, discoloration, pixel deformities, keyboard typing backwards, windows getting stuck...
they are all symptoms of your card getting too hot. Stuttering, etc... Its amazing how one component can cause so much **** huh.

You keyboard problem: Its your keyboard buffer getting full up while it tries to rectify the stuttered/stuck display.

Last edited:
I don't quite understand the whole x16 vs x16 2.0

If I was to purchase http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143119 versus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130370 as a replacement in worst case senario, what exactly would happen since my motherboard is old and only supports x16.

Is it better to purchase a x16 or a x16 2.0? What will be my limitations, is it worth buying a new motherboard?

On a side note, I just used a serious air compressor to clean out all the dust, it was very dusty. I'll see how it goes hopefully with some luck.

On a side note, I just used a serious air compressor to clean out all the dust, it was very dusty. I'll see how it goes hopefully with some luck.

That will certainly raise the Temps if it is very dusty especially the GPU and also at What speed is your GPU running at Idle , by default they are only set to 30%,

Well I ordered a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130370 as a video card replacement. Without thinking, I forgot to consider the PSU requirements. I'm still using the OCZ PowerStream 520W. It does not have a 8 pin PCI-E Connector which the 260 needs. Is my only option at this point to call up OCZ and try and replace it? Or do I just need to buy a whole new one period? I noticed on EVGA's site its says minimum requirements of 6pin/8pin PCI-E Connector, and a 550W PSU. The PowerStream 520 seems to fail to qualify for both.

Edit: I was looking at the GTX 280 on accident. I really hope the PowerStream will suffice, I don't want to buy a new PSU.

Last edited:
Good choice on the GTX 260, and yes you were looking at wrong specs - the 280 needs 6 pin + 8 pin. The 260 needs 2x 6pin.

Your PSU is good enough, as I'm reading from various reviews/other forum posts the GTX 260 requires as little as 30A on the 12v rail, and you have 33A. The official requirement by Nvidia is I think 36A but not sure on the validity of that (read it somewhere). Keep in mind the age of that PSU as it might be wearing off and not as effecient as when it was new. You might not be able to OC the card much (and those gtx 260's can OC very well, even on stock cooler) or it might have stability issues and need to be underclocked a little bit, if your PSU is old and if you really don't want to buy a new one.

Alright, posting an update with a seemingly continued problem.

I purchased a eVGA GTX 260. I put it into my current rig and replaced the 8800GTX no problems. Everything that used to be a problem is now fixed.

I now have another issue, and I am led to believe my PSU is the problem now. When I am at the desktop/surfing the web, I have no problems.

I load up a game like World of Warcraft, and I immediately hear a moderately high pitched whine. I've looked over the forums and Googled the problem, and it actually seems like it's happened to quite a few people. Most of the information I gathered about the problem was rooted at the PSU. A weak capacitor, not enough power etc.

The sound from the computer actually sounds like it's coming from the video card itself, I believe this is because it doesn't have enough power. I've checked the seating of it, connections and all, I have both PCI-E connectors in properly. In my game World of Warcraft, I get a weird studder of the noise when I move my mouse over certain objects. I did read one thread where a guy had the same problems.

This is my second PowerStream 520W, my other one failed about a year ago before this one, so I am safe betting it's the PSU that is failing on me. So I went ahead and ordered myself the Corsair 750TX regardless. Do you think running my computer/GTX 260 with this noise is bad for the card? Just looking if someone has any thoughts.

Alright, posting an update with a seemingly continued problem.

I purchased a eVGA GTX 260. I put it into my current rig and replaced the 8800GTX no problems. Everything that used to be a problem is now fixed.

I now have another issue, and I am led to believe my PSU is the problem now. When I am at the desktop/surfing the web, I have no problems.

I load up a game like World of Warcraft, and I immediately hear a moderately high pitched whine. I've looked over the forums and Googled the problem, and it actually seems like it's happened to quite a few people. Most of the information I gathered about the problem was rooted at the PSU. A weak capacitor, not enough power etc.

The sound from the computer actually sounds like it's coming from the video card itself, I believe this is because it doesn't have enough power. I've checked the seating of it, connections and all, I have both PCI-E connectors in properly. In my game World of Warcraft, I get a weird studder of the noise when I move my mouse over certain objects. I did read one thread where a guy had the same problems.

This is my second PowerStream 520W, my other one failed about a year ago before this one, so I am safe betting it's the PSU that is failing on me. So I went ahead and ordered myself the Corsair 750TX regardless. Do you think running my computer/GTX 260 with this noise is bad for the card? Just looking if someone has any thoughts.

You made the right decision to replace that power supply, they don't have the greatest reputation. On paper, the specs should handle your new video card but with age and that specific model power supply, and the suggested requirements of a 260GTX, you would be pushing your luck.

Back