• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stuck with ocing phenom II x4 955BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zipperdb

Registered
hi
I started ocing my phenom 955 but im stuck at 3.8ghz.
When i put it on 3.9ghz im start to get blue screens after -/+ 15min on prime95.
I treid serval times to let it run good on 3.9ghz but it didnt work.
Is there mabye someone who can help me.

This is at stock speed
200x16.jpg

This is at 3.8ghz where it runs stable
200x19.jpg

You're CPU core voltage ("vcore") isn't near high enough. Add another .025v to it and retest. You have plenty of temp room to add more, both with regard to the CPUTIN (socket temp) and the core temp.

The other thing I'm wondering about is why are you running your ram at such a low frequency? You're only running it a 800 mhz when it is rated for 1333 mhz. Are you overclocking with individual manual controls from the bios or are you using some auto overclocking wizard in the bios or some software based overclocking tool like AMDOD?

thanks for the reply

Im doing it manual in the bios.
And the vcore is already on 1.4125 but i can only change it with 0.125.
With the ram i put it in the bios on 1333 so thats good i think.

thanks for the reply

Im doing it manual in the bios.
And the vcore is already on 1.4125 but i can only change it with 0.125.
With the ram i put it in the bios on 1333 so thats good i think.

your vcore shows a lot lower in the screen shot. You should bump the ram up and speed up your north bridge. Like trents said for those clocks you need more vcore. the temps looked good. So you have room to up the voltage

Look at your own attachment of the CPU Memory tab. It shows a memory bus frequency of 400 mhz which in DDR3 equivalent is 800 mhz since DDR3 frequency would be twice the memory bus frequency. And if you have set the vcore to 1.4125 in bios (which is still on the low side for the frequency target goal you have) you must be getting significant vdrop (voltage fall off at idle) and vdroop (voltage fall off under load). Do you have a bios setting called "LLC" or Load Line Calibration? If so you would do well to tinker with that to try and compensate for the vdrop and vdroop you are getting.

I find it hard to believe the finest vcore adjustment you have is in 0.125 increments. Are you sure you don't mean 0.0125? Even so, as long as your vcore is not exceeding 1.5 I think you will be fine with those temps.

Thanks for reply

The ram i already put at 1333mhz before i started ocing.
Where can i find LLC cuz i cant find it in my bios.
And i need to correct myself with the vcore, the step to increase is indeed 0.0125.

If you configured your RAM speed to 1333 mhz in bios then it is apparently not retaining that setting. Something is wrong here. I suggest you take a digital camera and snap some pictures of the overclocking sections of your bios. Then attach them with a post so we can see what's going on there.

Everything looks correct in bios. Download SiSoft Sandra to check what it is reporting for ram frequency against what CPU-z is reporting. Either CPU-z is misreporting or your bios has a bug in it that is not saving or not applying the correct frequency setting. Do you have the latest bios installed on your motherboard?

thats good to hear.
But at the pic of stock speed that was when i didnt change ram thats was as stock.
I changed it after i made the pic cuz at the second pic of 3.8ghz it shows the right frequency if im right

Unfortunately, it's not clear to me whether Sandra is reporting the current frequency of the ram or just the manufacturer info about the product. Poke around some and see if there is another section in Sandra that reports actual running frequency.

Oh, you might try AMD Overdrive as well.

Zipperdb, I looked at your first post with two 'sets' of captures and your mention at least twice that once you began to overclock you DID in fact have ram set to DDR1333, so forget about trying to put the ram to a speed you already are using.

Now there is a question you might answer using CPUz that SSoftSandy did not fully answer for me. Can you capture the CPUz "Mainboard" tab and attach it to this thread?

I know you seem to have a motherboard that possibly is overclockable as an "after-thought". I say this because of the large-ish jumps in Vcore that you have for use and the apparent fact you have NO LLC setting for the cpu and must then deal with a large Vdroop of the cpu voltage when the CPU has to do work.

Based on what seems a not so over-clock friendly motherboard, you may wind-up using Vcore set in bios to 1.475V or maybe even greater since there seems no LLC to keep the Vcore up and help resist Vdroop of Vcore under load.

If you can live with 3.8Ghz instead of seeking even more cpu speed then these high cpu voltages don't seem like they will be necessary, but beyond 3.8Ghz those Deneb cpus can say...Gimme some Vcore...some real Vcore or I will n0t run stable.
RGone...

Oh, yea, I didn't look at that second set of CPU-z pics which, in fact, indicate your ram is running at 1333 mhz. Did you add that in later?

Oh, yea, I didn't look at that second set of CPU-z pics which, in fact, indicate your ram is running at 1333 mhz. Did you add that in later?

No I would not think he added it later since there is no EDIT of the post shown by the forum at the bottom of his post. All additions after about 5 mins are indicated as edits at the bottom of the post. So I do believe he had two sets of captures from the get-go.
RGone...

@RGone
Thanks for the reply.
Here u have the picture where u asked for
mainboard.jpg

And yes i want to get even more ghz if it isnt to hard to do.

@trents
Yes i told u twice and now for the third time i did it after i toke the picture.
And i think that the ram isnt the problem cuz i already played with it to get it at 3.9ghz or more.

So the question for me if what can i do to get it a bit higher.

No I would not think he added it later since there is no EDIT of the post shown by the forum at the bottom of his post. All additions after about 5 mins are indicated as edits at the bottom of the post. So I do believe he had two sets of captures from the get-go.
RGone...

I saw it on the first set of pic when a was already busy with ocing.
So i tought it wasnt necessary to change it on the first set of pics
Cuz its good on the second set

SiSoft Sandy was saying the mobo was an Asrock 870 Extreme3 R2.0

However in the Chipset description SiSoft Sandy was reporting the chipset as ASRock RX790 GFX Single Slot 2x1.8Ghz (3.8Ghz)

The RX790 shown in SiSoft Sandy was confusing to me somewhat since we are supposed to be dealing with an 8xx chipset and not a 7xx chipset.

Post #13 is likely still fully applicable as far as 'further/more' overclocking is concerned.

I am going to edit your images of the bios and see if when you try them you get a little further up the cpu mhz scale, but there will be absolutely no guarantee. You will have to be watching HWMonitor while running P95 Blend mode to ensure that both cpu temps do not get too high. After you try the settings in my editting of your bios pics, please capture and post HWMonitor and the three tabs of CPUz that we normally ask for. CPU Tab, Memory Tab and the SPD Tab. That is 4 captured images in one post. Gone to download and edit your bios pics.

RGone...

Last edited:
Your bios pics editted and REuploaded.

Okay do not forget what was said in my post just above. I have downloaded and made suggestions in red text next to what I would try and make the suggested changes thereto. REuploading your editted images. IF all works as planned you should have just short of 3.9Ghz and hopefully it will be so and stable. It is what I would try if I was trying to use your same motherboard.
RGone...

First editted bios pic.
1st 870.jpg

Second editted bios pic.
2nd 870.jpg

This is great man what u do thanks.
Im gonna try it and u will hear the results

Back