• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stumped: Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter - Dead or Alive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

My trusty HP Pavillion DM1 netbook running, Win7 OS works fine but recently it would not connect to a hotel's wifi setup.

Now, another laptop I have connected perfectly. Also, my smartphone connected fine too. The network icon for the hotel has 3 green bars.

I used an iphone as a hot spot, connected the cell phone to computer via USB cable and of course the computer had internet access via the phone.

The netbook has the Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter. How would I test to see if it's functional or not??

All software indicators suggest it's working fine.:bang head

Could be a compatiblity issue between the onboard wifi with whatever access point the hotel has. I had that happen with my fathers laptop on home connection once. Had to plug in a ultra low profile usb wifi adapter and then it worked

Could be a compatiblity issue between the onboard wifi with whatever access point the hotel has. I had that happen with my fathers laptop on home connection once. Had to plug in a ultra low profile usb wifi adapter and then it worked

Thanks. I hadn't considered that possibility. The laptop that worked is a 2014 model, and my netbook is older 2011 so that could be the case. I haven't fun into any connection issue before, so I while not impossible, I doubt the internal card has failed. I will try and connect on a wife network it's known to work on and see what happens then.

Back